Improving the Research Tab

William Cross

I am often looking for information from within the hundreds of tools I have purchased in Accordance over the past 22 years, but not able to find it.

It goes like this:

• I have a question about a topic
  • I am not sure which resource to look in so
  • I enter a phrase in the Research tab
  • A gigantic list of resources appear
  • I begin to sift through the results
  • Don't find what I am looking for
  • Open up Google and type the question
  • Immediately find links to resources that have the answer
  • Wish I could better access this info in Accordance

Could Accordance improve the Research Tab to search smarter? Possibly using natural language?

A simple example: "How many Books are in the Bible?"

Edited by William Cross
  • Like 4

Hi @William Cross,

If you are not finding the information it might be because you do not actually have resources which discuss it.

Typing "66 books" I found it in BiblicalTraining. Typing "sixty-six books" I found the information in Dict of Cults, New Ungers, BiblicalTraining, Kruger's Canon Revised, Bird's Evangelical Theology, and Grudem's Systematic Theology.

I don't personally have a lot of pastoral resources, but some other people who do would probably have other hits.

Concerning the "natural language" you mentioned, I would just like to add my two cents that I hope they do not do this. One of the huge advantages of the Accordance Research is that it is able to find pinpoint words and phrases in a vast library with extreme accuracy. If it were to use natural language then it would be needing to use less detailed searching including resources that do not even use the query, as basically no resource says "How many Books are in the Bible?"

By typing "How many Books are in the Bible?" I was merely trying to illustrate my suggestion. 

Google's search engine is very good at finding info using this type of language and can also find pinpoint words and phrases when they are put in quotes. 

But to go with your answer, it assumes you already know that there actually are 66 books.

The great help of Google's search engine is that it can find info when you are not exactly sure of the word or phrase to search on, but just the general topic or keyword.

Something like this would be very helpful in Accordance when you do not know the exact phrase or word to look for. Sometimes the word referenced has different spellings or the phrase is off by a word (and you may not know that your phrase is off by a word), and Accordance does not find what you are looking for, even if the info is within the resources you own.

Again another example of something like this is searching for "Tuthmoses III", and finding no hits, but if I knew to search for "Thutmosis III" I would find all kinds of hits and info. Of course I don't know to search for that name in the beginning. Google's search engine can somehow find both even if I only know to look for one and then I learn from that search that there are spelling variants.

Edited by William Cross
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Still really hoping the Research Tab Search could be improved. I think this would be a significant and extremely helpful update for finding information within the Accordance modules.

Another example of improving the search capabilities. 

I know the words "lying wonders" appears in scripture, but in the moment can't remember where. Typing in the phrase to the ESV search and gets nothing, zero. But I know the words are in scripture and realize it must be a different version. It would be great if even in a regular Bible text search "Flex" search could look first in the current text and then if nothing is found, default to search the other bible texts I own to find the words, or at least find similar words in the current ESV text. 

Google finds it instantly even though it searches the entire internet.

Accordance's sole purpose is searching the Bible and related texts, it would be great if it could find information more efficiently.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 11.37.30 AM.png

• Like 4

I second this. I know there have been times that I've searched for information I know I should have somewhere in my library only to not find it and default to google. On a separate note, I like the look of that UI. I wish they could make the windows UI more like its mac counterpart.

• Like 1

@William Cross and @KCarmanIII,

I think that might actually create confusion if I am checking a version, and I get results for a totally random version.

For what you are describing, this already works in Research. Just make sure there is the = sign.

Kristin

1846769608_Bildschirmfoto2022-11-29um10_35_50.thumb.png.33f68eb493025b88151389fa7292f80d.png

• Like 7

I would just like to add my two cents that I hope they do not do this. One of the huge advantages of the Accordance Research is that it is able to find pinpoint words and phrases in a vast library with extreme accuracy. If it were to use natural language then it would be needing to use less detailed searching including resources that do not even use the query

My opinion as well, if I may: I would be open to a Natural Search only if it could be an additional option which doesn't subtract from the precision of the Research Tab (which already suffers from bugs in my case).  I do agree that things can be improved in the Research Tab, primarily pertaining to a literal (words between the whitespaces) for all Hebrew texts consistently, whether they are vowelized or not, whether they are tagged or not.  (But this isn't what you are talking about here.)

As far as the internet being able to find answers quickly, this is also because the internet is infinitely larger than any software program.  I'm personally okay with letting the internet do a separate job from Accordance.  I also like it if I can condense functionality into the fewest programs possible, but often this simply just isn't realistic or possible.  Sometimes you have to let separate resources serve separate functions. 

like this is searching for "Tuthmoses III", and finding no hits, but if I knew to search for "Thutmosis III"

I understand this completely.  That is why I have become a frequent user of wildcards (*) in the Research Tab.  It's not only good if you aren't sure how to spell something, but also because different writers / resources will spell the same word different ways.  Thus, I think the best solution is to learn to do compound searches like this:

"Tutmos*" <OR> "Thutmos*"

Or even,

(Tutmos* <OR> Thutmos*) <WITHIN 3 Words> ("III" <OR> 3)

Interestingly enough, here is a screenshot of what I get in my Research Tab when running the latter search.  Finally, I also recommend using the "Find on Page" (Ctrl+F) function to sift through results as a secondary search process after running the additional search.  (I just hope Accordance will kindly add to it the "Highlight All Matches" function so that it makes secondary searching even faster.)

Captured  53.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

What your after may be beyond the standard capability of database languages without using products with features like Ful-Text-Indexing. Because Accordance does not use these specific database products, options would be to purchase software libraries or third party solutions and integrate them; you wouldn't write them yourself. Work has been done in the generic and popular language Python for example with Natural Language Processing (NLP), but it would be a significant effort to provision regardless of the language used to develop Accordance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 3:25 AM, TYA said:

I understand this completely.  That is why I have become a frequent user of wildcards (*) in the Research Tab.  It's not only good if you aren't sure how to spell something, but also because different writers / resources will spell the same word different ways.  Thus, I think the best solution is to learn to do compound searches like this:

"Tutmos*" <OR> "Thutmos*"

Or even,

(Tutmos* <OR> Thutmos*) <WITHIN 3 Words> ("III" <OR> 3)

I appriciate this insight and would have gladly used the Wildcard option, but it assumes that I already knew there were two different spellings.

When I was first doing this search I was unaware of the historical variance on this name. In this case one would have to know both “Tutmos" and “Thutmos"

The Google search was so helpful because it taught me that there actually were two different ways to spell the name.

I would just love to learn these types of things from Research within my Accordance modules instead of Google.

This example is just one of many where it is not really possible to do Research within Accordance alone without knowing exactly what to search for (even using the wildcard).

Edited by William Cross
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Another instance of improving the Research Tab.

While reading a Tool in Accordance I came across the phrase "Sin’s consequences."

What a help it would be to enter that phrase in the Research Tab and have it intelligently compile the pertinent tools and articles in my Library relating to this topic, whether or not that exact phrase is contained in the work.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Bumping this.

I think it could be a huge help to users and take Accordance the next level of search capability. 

• Like 4

Wholeheartedly agree!

I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! We're collecting feedback from users on AI, although nothing to announce at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Working with the Research tab again today, how great it would be to be able to choose AI as an option if so desired.

Our church website runs on SquareSpace and they have seamlessly added an option that appears in every text edit window, just a little lightning bolt logo, that when clicked allows the user to access AI and have it write a first draft for them. Something like that in Research could be so helpful in accessing the full power of all our Accordance modules.

Not for writing, but searching all of the tools we have purchased. This example is just to see how integrated it is in their interface and that it is optional to use. 

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 3.07.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 3.08.28 PM.png

Edited by William Cross

Good feedback and keep it coming. We're collecting feedback from customers oh how they would want to use AI in Accordance, although nothing official to announce yet.

• 3 months later...

When doing "cmd f" it would be nice it it would tell you how many results were found and focus in on each result as you glance through.

Simular to the find command in Safari 

Rick

Edited by Rick55

On 7/8/2023 at 1:36 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Good feedback and keep it coming. We're collecting feedback from customers oh how they would want to use AI in Accordance, although nothing official to announce yet.

This is great news Nathan. I see it as the future of technology. Wether its a good or bad thing it's where tech is going. 

I would love to see an AI feature in Accordance where you can access AI questions and have it direct you to where the information is found within your library. 

For example:  " ChatGPT, where can I find in my library where it talks about the consequences of sin? "

Because of copyright infringement, AI can not give this information via openAI, but if it was integrated into Accordance, without violating copyright laws , it would be well worth it because it can help you squeeze out most out of what your libraries have to offer. 

Rick

Edited by Rick55
  • Like 1

@Rick55 Speaking generally and hypothetically (since we don't have anything official to announce at the moment, so don't hold me to it!), something along these lines is what would personally interest me in using AI in my own Bible study. I would like to have a "virtual Bible scholar" that I could ask theological questions to it and have it surface deep information from my library and point me to where the information is in my library. It would help me further mine the riches of my library.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Nathan, I haven’t logged in in… a log time, but I am REALLY curious about the idea of possible forthcoming AI in Accordance. Of all the Apps in my life, this is where I want it the most, so I wanted to see where the discussion is so far.

What I, and I imagine many others, really want is something like what Perplexity.ai does. It searches through vast amounts of internet data, summarizes content and then links you to the resources it used to generate the summary AND then offered suggestions for what you might want next. It’s bonkers.

This is what I want Accordance to become! Like you said above, being able to have AI tools inside my years of accordance modules would be amazing!

13 hours ago, Bodie Quirk said:

What I, and I imagine many others, really want is something like what Perplexity.ai does. It searches through vast amounts of internet data, summarizes content and then links you to the resources it used to generate the summary AND then offered suggestions for what you might want next. It’s bonkers.

We're discussing AI, but we don't have anything specific to announce at the moment. What you're proposing here is exactly what I personally said would be ideal for me, so at least it sounds like some of us are on the same page!

• Like 1

Looking forward to what's ahead! Thanks for responding, Nathan!

Another app that is a good example of AI integration is the email client Shortwave. With it you can point it to specific groups of email (or even all of your email) and it will search using normal language and quickly summarize and compile responses based on what those emails contain. Here is some of what it can do:

"You can use the full power of AI across any set of emails by asking things like:

“Give me the best active discount code for Target?”
“Summarize the status of Project XYZ from these emails”
“Create a blog post outline based on the concepts in these threads”
“What are the common themes in these user feedback emails?”
“Which of these emails mentions me?”
“What are the action items in these emails?”
“Give me a timeline of the key dates mentioned in these emails.”"

In Accordance For example:

AI could help research your modules  regarding the relationship of "speech and sin" and be able to compile information about these from what past authors have said without either of these words being used. For instance John Owen and John Chrysostom might speak about this topic without ever using these two words. They might reference "the out pourings of your mouth" or "transgressions against God" or "folly of the tongue." 

AI could help research and unlock information that we have in our Accordance modules that we might only discover by searching more for an idea than a specific key word.