Anyone else becoming disillusioned with Accordance?

KCarmanIII

I have had multiple opportunities to experiment with LOGOS for Mac OS. After reading numerous posts from people who have used it, I decided not to waste my time with it. Cross platform development is possible. Firefox does it. But it isn't something you can do on a tight budget. I know absolutely NOTHING about Accordance for Windows. Testing Accordance has become a major project. The features have accumulated over three decades and have completely altered the original functional specification and target audience. It is only a remote relative of the original product. The target audience has dramatically changed. This was intentional. The original target audience couldn't sustain the cost of development. The LIBRARY was a cash cow and now Accordance is all about the library.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

Hi Mate, as I previously observed, after downloading and trying LOGOS I very much disliked it and was very soon after spammed (identifiable mimicking of Logos), making me wonder what they do with email addresses of their customers, or security about them!

I am not loyal to a brand. How is your experience with Mac OS concerning stability and crashing? 

I like Accordance well enough to continue with it, but sometimes the volume and frustration of crashes can test my resolve. If Mac OS users find a significantly more positive experience due to foremost development in that space, I will look at moving across. 

Yes, the libraries costs certainly do add up fast :)

Edited by cweber

On 8/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, cweber said:

How is your experience with Mac OS concerning stability and crashing? 

It is interesting to compare the various accordance bug threads for the different operating systems looking for the word crash in the subject title. 

I was a long term windows user both at home and at work from about 1990 after using an early mac and dos on an ibm and a toshiba laptop in the 80s. I was evaluating some corporate software for the company and talking to the technical rep about macs convinced me to migrate to a mbp in 2008 for use at home and i am still using it! I also still have an old windows nt box which i need for a minolta film scanner which I was also using at the same time. Having now retired we have a more recent second mbp but have given up on windows other than for scanning films. From my experience, Mac hardware lasts longer and windows software ran much faster and more reliably in parallels, i have probably had about a crash a year and had to use force quit possibly twice a year though i tend to only upgrade the os after the second release so that others have found the bugs. One of the things i most value about mac is the way the mbp, ipad and iphone all work together which i never got with windows and android.  (I certainly dont miss the windows issues i had with my work note books and this has brought back all the horrors i used to have at work with frequent crashes and replacement components. ) but this is going off topic, sorry.

To bring it back on topic, i note you use ios and that should give you an indication for accordance and apple stability as well as the two running together. I have found them very stable and while there are things i miss in the other os/hardware options, they are not enough to temp me to switch back.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Channeling my best Michael Scott . . .

I'm not disillusioned. I'm quite illusioned.

Development is sometimes slower than I prefer and products/features don't always come out in the order I would like. But it's still the best bible software for my use anywhere. Period. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have come over to Accordance from BibleWorks, and even after a year or so, I still use BibleWorks for most of my study.

I am trying to "get used" to Accordance, where things are, how to do things, etc.

I do often find myself putting in BibleWorks search codes into Accordance - and coming up with error messages. :) 

I will get there eventually.

• Like 1

Not disillusioned, but sometimes disappointed that commentary sets are not quickly added to when new volumes are added (E.g. Tyndale, Reformed Expository). But I understand the give and take. I prefer Accordance over the other brands. I’ve come to enjoy searches, and use of what is made available. I only offer that disappointment in hopes of improvement. I pray it is taken constructively.

The Truth Is Stronger Still! Brian Mann | Pastor | Catherine Lake Baptist Church 

• Like 2

Am I becoming disillusioned?

"No no no no no no... No to infinity.

Negatory. Negatory, good buddy. Ne Ga To Ry!"

Quote believed to be from the film: So I Married an Axe Murderer, circa 1993

I am a relatively recent convert from BibleWorks, and Accordance capabilities keep amazing me as I learn more about what I can do with it. I only use it on PC/Windows, and have not had any problems with stability, etc. I am loving it more every day. 

• Like 2

I had the reverse experience -- i predominantly use Accordance, but in some of the older versions: MAPS was hard to use. SO:  I still have one older MAC that will open Bibleworks -- and I still love how Bibleworks has some really good maps that are a bit easier for me to use with my Sunday School class than Accordance. BUT THE SEARCHES with Bibleworks were so hard.... I never got the hang of things

But with some of the latest updates to ACCORDANCE MAPS: I was able to accomplish what I needed with this latest round of Sunday School lessons. 

Lord willing, we will finish Genesis tomorrow and do an overview of EXODUS. 

One thing that is really helpful with Accordance (that neither BIBLEWORKS nor LOGOS had/has to my knowledge) was the different TIMELINES which is especially helpful for EXODUS.

SO, I love Accordance, but I am having some issues getting my stuff recognized in easy install tonight. I have confidence that tech support can get me "up and running", so that I can finalize next week's lesson in a few days.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 6:48 PM, docdave said:

So I Married an Axe Murderer,

This should be compulsory viewing for all Scots.  I just can't believe someone has just quoted on this forum 😂

• Like 1