A question for the developers

ukfraser

Do you think atlas and time line will ever be able to work on ios or do you think the operating system will be incompatible for the next few years?

I appreciate you dont know what apple has planned for either future ios upgrades or even hardware capability since they have the same chip but its more about what you feel you can do with the underlying code for the two modules in their current state.

i also appreciate you dont want to raise expectations about vapourware but just wondered if its planned or even at the blue sky thinking stage in terms of compatibility?

thanks. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Personally, I think timeline/atlas would be a better experience on an iPad than on Mac. Two finger drag, pinch to zoom. You could move the information around so much more quickly and get to exactly the view you want. I would love to see this come to iOS. 

• Like 3

I'm not a developer, but I can tell you that both the Atlas and Timeline are greater challenges in bringing to our mobile platforms. That's not to say it won't happen. Ultimately, we'd like to see complete feature parity among all platforms (with specific interface controls to each platform, of course). Some features will definitely take longer than others, and these are two of them.

In the meantime, The Holman Bible Atlas, which is currently on sale, is my favorite "static" atlas; and I highly recommend it. It's a great tool to use on mobile devices.

• Like 2

Do the proposed changes for iPadOS16 offer the option to actually run the desktop version of Accordance on an iPad? Am not sure how the current version will ever be able to go much before where it is now?

• Like 1

Thanks Rick, 'greater challenges' is a great description and ties in with what i suspected. 
i also highly recommend the holman bible atlas!!!!!!!

Edited by ukfraser

2 minutes ago, Leopold Green said:

Do the proposed changes for iPadOS16 offer the option to actually run the desktop version of Accordance on an iPad?

No, I don't anticipate Apple would ever let this happen.

Sorry no I didn't mean that - I know Apple will never have a straight macOS on iPad though clearly there will be more convergence - what I meant was in light of multiple overlapping windows, proper second monitor display as well as the ability to increase pixel density on the fly (I think that is what they suggested) so smaller app windows could fit more in would Accordance reconsider the path for the mobile app? The app as it stands has its roots in the iPhone, as an advanced reading app, but this doesn't sit well with 12.9" (or bigger) windowed screens... does that make sense?

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 5:03 PM, R. Mansfield said:

I don't anticipate Apple would ever let this happen.

Microsoft has a surface

apple use the same chip in both

apple has a history of  bringing some other products late to the party (though at the forefront of others).

I just wonder if at some time apple will bring a full os MacPad to market to open up a new and very lucrative revenue stream for them and are milking the current ipad stream for all they can while monitoring the market before tempting people to upgrade...

after all, we now have keyboards and pens etc and it has the touch screen functionality...

we will just have to have fun speculating while we wait.

Just enjoy what we have and not worry about finding a way into the next field for the greener grass. (Takes me back to my discussions with colleagues when we were trying to predict in the early days what the next generation smart phones would have.)

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser

On the subject of maps, I would love to see a Bible atlas overlay using something like the Google Earth API, that allows you to see the ancient Bible maps overlaid on modern day satellite maps. That’s probably not within the scope/vision of Accordance plans for atlases, but I can dream.

While you wait, The satellite atlas is included in the current graphics package sale

https://accordancebible.com/product/satellite-bible-atlas/

but personally i dont think the cartography is a patch on the holman bible atlas which is still my go to for anything where i want to see it on a map. 

https://accordancebible.com/product/holman-bible-atlas-a-complete-guide-to-the-expansive-geography-of-biblical-history/

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

My first stop for maps, even on my Mac is the Holman Bible Atlas.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

My first stop for maps, even on my Mac is the Holman Bible Atlas.

I guess mine would be the ones which are in the printed German Bibles, but left out in Accordance. 

6 hours ago, Fabian said:

I guess mine would be the ones which are in the printed German Bibles, but left out in Accordance. 

You are seriously missing out!

The maps in holman are beautiful examples of good cartography, far better than anything ive seen in any of my bibles. The only atlas ive seen that comes anywhere near in terms of clarity is the 'atlas of the biblical world' and published by fortress press and authored by some bloke called mark! 🤔 And while it probably duplicates a lot of what we already have, i would love to see it in accordance, purely for the maps. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Biblical-World-Hoffman-Vitalis/dp/1506401260/ref=sr_1_2?crid=R6F4MBLPXUHN&keywords=Fortress+press+atlas&qid=1654868894&sprefix=fortress+press+%2Caps%2C56&sr=8-2

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the Holman. My intention was more to have the maps in the electronic Bible notes too, as they are in the print version and in the language of the translation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukfraser said:

You are seriously missing out!

Unfortunately yes. 

18 hours ago, Fabian said:

as they are in the print version and in the language of the translation. 

I totally agree about the need for language of translation.

i also agree about the extras in the printed version, i would love to see all the line drawings as well as translator notes in the 'tev' or as i know it, the 'good news' version.

but what i tend to do on the ipad because i am lazy is run the text with a study bible as accordance has got the maps to run with the correct passage which i think is an enhancement over the printed copy.

But i Totally accept that this doesnt help you as my study bibles are in English. 🙄

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I agree with @R. Mansfield. Atlas and Timeline are two features that heavily pre-date iOS/iPadOS and even smartphones. It’s probably not impossible to get them going on a mobile platform, but simply a major technical challenge. It’s more difficult than simply adding in the functionality to read Accordance modules. I’m not a programmer either, but just from mere sensing things, it’s definitely a challenge.

In the meantime, I also agree with Rick that Holman Atlas is fantastic. I also love all the Carta stuff, even though some of it’s older (it’s just so rich). @ukfraser makes a good point about Satellite Atlas. I enjoy that module as well. Even trying to add a Google Maps or Bing Maps layer to Accordance’s Atlas would be a little bit of a challenge since Accordance’s Atlas pre-dates Google Maps. Yes, Accordance was pioneering features like Atlas way before Google Maps or smartphones or touchscreens existed.