IMPORT BIBLE: GREEK NEW TESTAMENT

rossjpurdy

In attempting to import a Greek New Testament, I keep getting the message: This text can not be imported, because there is an extra blank line after the reference "Matthew 1:1". It is interesting Matthew 1:1 is in quotes since I am using the abbreviation Matt. Anyway, I have gone through it and found some errors but no blank lines and there is no return after the last verse. It has the correct number of verses for the NT and I chose the 1550 TR versification. Any ideas what is triggering this message? Thanks

I guess you have some https://www.invisibletextcharacter.com in the text. Mostly they are right after the reference. Try to copy the space after 1:1 and replace it with a normal space which you can do simply with the space button. Copy replace all.

Edited by Fabian

Can you post the txt or a part of it here? 

May you have such a character at the end of Matt 1:1 or in the beginning of Matt 1:2.

@rossjpurdy I was able to reproduce this error in 13.3.3 on Windows using the user Bible you provided. I noticed the file uses CR-LF line endings, so, on a hunch (given the "extra blank line" message), I switched them to just LF. I was then able to import the text without error.

I'm not sure why the line endings matter here; I've successfully imported user Bibles in the past that use both CR-LF and LF line endings.

• Like 2

Ah yes, there is a feature request to support all line endings on Win and Mac. So this error don't come up again.

@Silas Marrs Can you add line endings for all possibilities. Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, @Fabian. I think I found the issue you're talking about. In fact, there is a comment from another user there that suggests CR-LF line endings are treated as two separate line endings when the text goes beyond Latin characters (e.g., Greek or Arabic):

That would explain why I've never had any trouble importing a user Bible with CR-LF line endings on Windows--because I've only ever worked with English texts.

• Like 1

Thank you Steven. You have made me very happy! I don't recall having such grief when I imported the Majority Text.😁

• Haha 1