No reviews allowed or available at accordancebible.com ?? Why not ??

Accordance Enthusiast

As someone who has designed websites for a living, I understand the backend technology Rick is having to use to approve all reviews. It does take time to wade through all the reviews and manually approve them, especially when spammers flood the system as well. I've had to deal with flushing out spam comments on my websites before in the past. 

I'll PM Rick some stuff that I've used to combat spam on the backend technology and see if Accordance is using it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, docdave said:

My understanding from reading the thread is that spam reviews must be designated as such, manually, so there is no automated spam filter or anything like that. Rick has to read all the reviews to determine which ones are spam. Thus, I don't think there is any way to just skip the spam reviews. 

This is correct. Of the 736 pending reviews in the original screenshot, only 33 of those were actual reviews, and some of those were duplicates. Some posts will include the maximum number of characters allowed. I don't know how many this is, but if I'm using my MacBook Pro, it takes about 20 swipes (I counted) to get to the end of them. I unfocus my eyes so I don't have to actually read the garbage that's in them. 

As a better solution than letting them pile up, I'm going to try to remember to look at the pending posts first thing every morning. There were 10 new posts this morning--all of them spam.

22 hours ago, ukfraser said:

be nice to see more than 162 genuine reviews

I agree. I'm going to create a separate post today calling for reviews.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

As a better solution than letting them pile up, I'm going to try to remember to look at the pending posts first thing every morning. There were 10 new posts this morning--all of them spam.

Sorry that you need to expose yourself to this kind of stuff. Praying for peace for you.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

This is correct. Of the 736 pending reviews in the original screenshot, only 33 of those were actual reviews,

Hi Mr. Mansfield,

Thank you for checking the reviews, I appreciate that.

Mine now also show up.

Is there any way you could set up an automatic spam filter? Use keywords or phrases that would prove its spam. Or use keywords or phrases that would suggest its not. Maybe this could help you?

Also please change the heading of this thread if you want to, because the problem is now solved, and I can't find a way to change that.

Shalom

On 5/11/2022 at 3:51 PM, R. Mansfield said:

Okay, all pending reviews have been processed.

Rick, that was a substantial piece of work.  Thank you.

And I think its fair to point out that the fact that this thread has been allowed to be openly debated tells me there is no conspiracy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Anonymous said:

Is there any way you could set up an automatic spam filter? Use keywords or phrases that would prove its spam. Or use keywords or phrases that would suggest its not. Maybe this could help you?

There is a way to use keywords and phrases. Of course, some of the words are so vile, I don't know if I even want to hesitate on them long enough to copy and paste. 

For the less vile spam posts, for instance invitations to dating sites, I couldn't actually ban the word dating because that word is used in discussion of literature, archaeology, history, etc. You have to really think through how words might be used before setting them up in filters. 

If I can keep up with the posts daily, I can actively block certain IP addresses. Yes, they will switch to a different address eventually, but it still cuts down on spam posts before they realize it, especially if the posts are simply created by bots.

Do people not need an account to make a review? That might cut down on bot reviews. And just block accounts abused for bot reviews...

Maybe it is more complex than this, and I just don't understand it 😐

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Schulschlus said:

Do people not need an account to make a review? That might cut down on bot reviews. And just block accounts abused for bot reviews...

Maybe it is more complex than this, and I just don't understand it 😐

I don't think that an account is required for this at the moment, but we're looking into changing that soon. Probably even requiring a verified purchase.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

I don't think that an account is required for this at the moment, but we're looking into changing that soon. Probably even requiring a verified purchase.

Good ideas