Searching for a Word with an Apostrophe Using the TEXT Command

Benjamin Noonan

I am trying to search for occurrences of a Hebrew construct chain translated as a possessive by English translations like the NIV. I thought I could do this using the TEXT command, inputting *'s for the English text to search for. The problem is, Accordance thinks that the apostrophe is marking a quotation for a search, and I receive the following error:

"A quotation character is missing. Each quotation character must be followed by a corresponding quotation character to indicate that inflected forms are intended."

I also tried putting a period before the apostrophe, because you can search for an independent character like apostrophe by placing a period before it. However, this doesn't work either because Accordance seems to take anything following an apostrophe, even if the apostrophe is preceded by a period, as a quotation. Thus, I receive the same error.

So, here's my question: Is there a way to search for an apostrophe within a word? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish my search objective in a different way? Thanks in advance for your time.

Ben, I was able to get it to work with this:

=*’s

where I manually input:

RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
Unicode: U+2019, UTF-8: E2 80 99

Instead of using single-quote from the keyboard.

Pete

• Like 1

It does not work for me either. If I try to search for the possessive "God's" I input:

=God's

and I get that error. So I tried:

=God*'s

and that of course gave an error also.

I feel like in the past I was able to search for "God's" and not get false hits of "gods" but since an update awhile back (if I am not mistaken) apostrophes are no longer recognized. I am not sure why, and I hope in the future they will be recognized again.

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

It does not work for me either. If I try to search for the possessive "God's" I input:

=God's

and I get that error. So I tried:

=God*'s

and that of course gave an error also.

I feel like in the past I was able to search for "God's" and not get false hits of "gods" but since an update awhile back (if I am not mistaken) apostrophes are no longer recognized. I am not sure why, and I hope in the future they will be recognized again.

Kristin you have a different apostrophe than Peter. You have the straight one and Peter the curly one.

Thank you, @Fabian. :) What I had written was just the normal apostrophe, but I see now that if I hit OPTION SHIFT apostrophe I can make it look like his, and then it works. So sort of strange that it is a 3-stroke command to make an apostrophe, but it is better then it not working at all, which is the case with the normal apostrophe.

Take care,
Kristin

Hello @Kristin

Thanks, I hadn't know there is a keystroke for the other apostrophe. I see know in my keyboard I have a 2-stroke key. 

I'm sure the developers (@Silas Marrs) can add the feature to use the straight apostrophe too.

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

@Peter Bekins Pete, thanks for this info. That did the trick! I appreciate it. --Ben

Edited by bjnoonan