Apple Event March 8th 2022

891447472_ScreenShot2022-03-02at4_37_36PM.thumb.png.7bed16db0b55c662d54ecf3b2fb88532.png

• Like 3

Moved this to the "Mostly Macintosh" section of the forums.

4 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

Moved this to the "Mostly Macintosh" section of the forums.

I gather this event is likely a new iPhone and iPad as well a Mac.  That said, I gather that everyone has lost interest in the iPhone, iPad and Mac now that this is the year of Linux and the Web.  

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

I gather this event is likely a new iPhone and iPad as well a Mac.  That said, I gather that everyone has lost interest in the iPhone, iPad and Mac now that this is the year of Linux and the Web.  

I won't give up on Tim. 

20 minutes ago, Caleb Schaefer said:

I won't give up on Tim.

Thanks @Caleb Schaefer, I appreciate when people have faith in me ... 😆🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Rich said:

I gather that everyone has lost interest in the iPhone, iPad and Mac now that this is the year of Linux and the Web.  

I've decided that the year of Linux will only come for me if Accordance develops a native Linux app. See https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/32361-accordance-on-linux-using-crossover-captains-logbook/?do=findComment&comment=159275

But even then I will always have an iPad. Wonderful, wonderful product.

23 minutes ago, Michel Gilbert said:

I've decided that the year of Linux will only come for me if Accordance develops a native Linux app.

Personally, I'm holding out for the TRS-80 app.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

Personally, I'm holding out for the TRS-80 app.

image.png

It would be ill advised to hold your breath on this one.

I know the chances are very low, but

image.png.1eff703ed8205f2e756f9bdc7ed0c4c9.png

The new Mac Studio is incredible. It will replace my mini one day.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Michel Gilbert said:

The new Mac Studio is incredible. It will replace my mini one day.

It is nice. I'm not in the market to replace my iMac (Intel, core i9) anytime soon, but when that day comes, the Mac Studio would be a strong contender if it's still around.

• Like 2

I ordered my Mac Studio.  It's an insanely powerful machine and will hopefully speed up my occasional video production in Final Cut Pro and certainly improve building big projects in Xcode.  Accordance runs great on everything already, so I'm sure it will continue to do so!  😀  I'm also ready to move away from an integrated monitor / computer solution, as much as I've loved my iMac 27" 5K.  

• Like 4

When I got my core i9 iMac with 64 GB RAM in 2019 to be my main work computer, my goal was to hold on to it for at least 5 years. At the time this seemed like my best option for a powerful workstation to use for everything including video editing. At the time, the Mac Pros were promised but not yet out, and I assumed they would be out of my price range (which they were). And the iMac Pro had not been updated for two years, and I didn't want an older processor. The i9 iMac seemed the best option at the time for me, and I still believe it was.

At this point, I think i'll still hold onto it, but I wonder if it would be worth it to extend its life a bit longer by upgrading it to 128 GB RAM over my current 64?

1 hour ago, R. Mansfield said:

When I got my core i9 iMac with 64 GB RAM in 2019 to be my main work computer, my goal was to hold on to it for at least 5 years. At the time this seemed like my best option for a powerful workstation to use for everything including video editing. At the time, the Mac Pros were promised but not yet out, and I assumed they would be out of my price range (which they were). And the iMac Pro had not been updated for two years, and I didn't want an older processor. The i9 iMac seemed the best option at the time for me, and I still believe it was.

At this point, I think i'll still hold onto it, but I wonder if it would be worth it to extend its life a bit longer by upgrading it to 128 GB RAM over my current 64?

I'm very rarely constrained by memory with 32gb on my iMac, although I went with 64GB on my MBP and Mac Studio just because it's impossible to upgrade later...  I would maybe run iStat Menus (or Activity Monitor) for a while and see how you use memory...  I'm sitting at 19GB used / 12GB free with about 22 apps running/backgrounded at the moment... some may have swapped out, but I rarely see memory pressure unless some misbehaved Electron app starts to eat up memory or if I'm doing photo / LR or video processing — then can see memory pressure creep up.   The problem right now that I have — particularly if you're doing video, is Intel... the Intel procs don't have all the codecs in hardware, so doing certain things on an Apple Silicon are trivial which on Intel is nearly impossible (not even related specifically to overall performance).

@R. Mansfield I don't think there is much to he gained at this point in time upgrading your RAM. On my 2020 27inch iMac I have 32Gb and rarely experience memory issues. This seems to be the sweet spot for my current utilisation. It also seems to be the conclusion of other tech reviewers that have tested various RAM configurations. I always say that the iMac has the advantage that if the need does come then you can upgrade.

As @Rich pointed out if heavy video production is on the cards then getting yourself a machine with apple silicon is the go because of their native codec support.

On 3/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, Michael Hunt said:

@R. Mansfield I don't think there is much to he gained at this point in time upgrading your RAM...

But the mere fact that I can weighs heavily on me 😏

• Like 2

• 5 months later...