OneDrive killed Accordance

WhiteWings

Something strange happened. Accordance worked fine with a 400+ item library.
Suddenly Accordance wasn't able to find it's files. I searched and for a reason unknown to me "Accordance Files'  was moved to Microsoft's OneDrive of my employer. But only the folder name not the files, they seem to be lost. Accordance only gave me the option to point to the files and not to a new location I want to redownload the files to. So I uninstalled Accordance. When I reinstalled it turned out it didn't really uninstall because it remembered my account settings at started complaining about missing highlight files.
A starting for the first it gave me the option to download 19 files. Likely updates of the library.

After the downloads I checked my library, all 400+ items are there. So that saved me many hours downloading, but all my settings are gone.

I must add I never use OneDrive but sometimes Windows turns it on because my home PC 'knows' my login details of Teams that I use for video conferencing with my colleagues since Corona. So it sometimes turns all that stuff one and my *personal* Office programs get logged in to the account my employer pays for. So my guess is that somehow Accordance got synced to OneDrive.

So what's going on? And more important, how can I avoid this happening again?

• Sad 1

Something similar happened to me, and I'm not sure how to fix it. My issue was more simply. It appears that OneDrive moved my personal Documents folder into a OneDrive folder. So now there is an Accordance files folder in the original location, and another Accordance files folder in the OneDrive folder. It is the latter that has most of the actual files, such as all of my workspaces. 

I use OneDrive in a very limited capacity and wish I would have been asked before it just started moving things. I think this happened when I upgraded to Windows 11.  Anyone have any ideas of how to undo this?  I suppose I could just copy those files back over. 

@WhiteWings and @Eric J. Tully,

I need to preface this saying I'm a Mac user, and that I had so many issues on Windows like you are describing (though not with Accordance specifically, thankfully), that I finally wiped the system and put Linux on it. So full disclosure that I am not the greatest person to be giving Windows advice.

With that as a preface, the first thing I can think is if you have a backup of Accordance. If so, I would probably try to revert to a recent backup before the chaos started. I personally back up Accordance every day.

The second thing I would mention is seeing if there is a way to turn off OneDrive completely. I doubt it, and maybe you wouldn't want to, but if you can it would prevent stuff like this from happening again. That is seriously unacceptable if it is linking your personal files to your employer.

I am sorry I am not able to be more helpful,
Kristin

@Eric J. Tully Where are the configuration files located? I do daily backups of most files on my PC and hourly on my really important files. It would be very easy for me to add the Accordance directory containing all sort of user files but not the actual program and library.
An automatic backup initiated by Accordance would be great too.

@KristinWindows is getting its own mind more and more. I never use the Microsoft Edge browser and configure another default, but at every update it starts bugging me with Edge.  Likewise I've been unable to stop OneDrive except by logging all my Office apps out. For me that's no problem because I'm not a cloud-person. But it's simply not right to almost force me to use it.

Maybe I'm posting this on the wrong forum because Accordance likely isn't at fault here. But Microsoft is master in standard useless replies 🙂

Hi,

In a normal Accordance installation on Windows, these four folders make up the complete Accordance installation:

1 - The Accordance program - C:\Program Files (x86)\Oaktree\Accordance\Accordance.exe

2 - The Accordance folder which contains the modules, etc. -C\ProgramData\Accordance

3 - Preferences - C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Accordance\Accordance Preferences

4 - User Content - C:\Documents\Accordance Files

AppData & ProgramData are hidden folders.

To show hidden folders on Windows 10: File Explorer > View > Check Hidden Items

Hopefully, this is what you need.

Thanks.