More Journals please. In the meanwhile help me.

Japhin

Hey Bible Nerds,

Accordance has a limited number of journals. Where do you look for journals?
My seminar does not give access to Atla for its Alumni. As an SBL member I do have limited access to Jstor but it is not enough.

I just wanted to reach out and ask are there any websites or sorts that is useful?

Thank you for much for taking time to answer. 

• Like 1

Hi Japhin

Yes agree wholeheartedly - more academic journals would be a massive improvement (it is a shame the other software seems to have more)... I also have JSTOR and others via my university but that doesn't give you the detail search and linking and all the wonderful stuff that Accordance brings...

It would be good if the journals that are offered could have an update to include more recent issues

that said, which seems like a moan, wish you all a great new year and a year to remember all of our blessings (however we may conceive them)

• Like 1

I have read that if you find a journal article that you want to read, you can email the author and they will be glad to send it to you. I have never tried it, but the next time I need a journal article, I will. 

• Like 1

With agreements made in the last week of 2021, I can definitively say that more journals are coming, including a long-awaited update to the Theological Journal Library. Unfortunately, that's all I can say at the moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

that is great news!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the above 👆🏽--I know that Galaxie only has the Ashland Theological Journal through 2013, as we will evidently have, too. But are there no more recent issues, or are they just not available digitally yet? Does anyone know?

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, R. Mansfield said:

With agreements made in the last week of 2021, I can definitively say that more journals are coming, including a long-awaited update to the Theological Journal Library. Unfortunately, that's all I can say at the moment. 

This is great news!  Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Any update on this? The TJL resources all have about 10 years of journals that could be updated.

15 minutes ago, Robb B said:

Any update on this? The TJL resources all have about 10 years of journals that could be updated.

An update on TJL is in active development. No release date to announce, but they're coming. 

• Like 4

You've provided hope, Rick. Thanks for the quick reply

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have the current TJL in Accordance, plus I subscribe to Galaxie on the side. Galaxie works well in the Accordance Web Browser, so it’s a great way to get access to the remaining journals until Accordance has another option in place. 

@Japhin Signup for a Galaxie subscription while you wait for a new TJL from Accordance. That’ll hold you over and give you all the core journals you’ll heavily use for academic research. There are others outside of Galaxie, but those are the main ones to get you started.

@R. MansfieldI found the publisher to Ashland Theological Review. Emailing them and asking them about any post 2013 journals so I can get an answer to that for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Confirmed. 2013 was the last issues, and it has been discontinued.

The Ashland Theological Journal was discontinued,  the 2013 volume was the last issue.

• Like 1

<whispers> Z-library. The fount of forbidden knowledge. 

• Like 1

Also, my rant…

The state of academic journals is worse than cable tv and subscription services 10 years ago. There are so many disparate walled gardens that it is virtually impossible to access everything g one needs for real research outside of a good library and even then I’ve found some are still inaccessible. Publishers [looking at you BRILL and SAGE] treat knowledge as a privileged commodity and are only crippling research. My protest is to find what I need at z library, libgen, and others. I understand copyrights very well. I also understand that if I had access to a library these things would be more accessible. So…these are my library. Also, for my money, neither accordance or logos have the breadth of literature I need anyway and the journal bundles are full of a lot of stuff I definitely do NOT need, so I’ll not bother with those. And, of course, why are the journal bundles so limited…because the publishers demand it that way. I feel confident  coming decades this will change. But it will take time. And I’ll be the complaining curmudgeon in the meantime. 

• Like 3

Oh…and then there’s TLG…

and ethnologue…

and…  😡

Edited by A. Smith
  • Like 2

Yeah journal bundles/subscriptions are more confusing that cable. Personally I subscribe to Galaxie since I know those are the top journals in my field I need to access. Anything else if I really need something, I’ll have to see what library can offer me what.

Does anyone have recommendations of other Journals they would like to see in Accordance?

• Like 1

Galaxie is the biggie. Themelios would be useful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1