Book of Common Prayer - Module 3 for Daily Reading (Year 3)

Whitney Mitchell

Will this module be available anytime soon?

I can't seem to find it, and since we are in Year 3 I am wondering when it'll be available.

Not sure I named it correctly in the original post... but I'm asking about what would be called this:

"BCP Daily Office 3 Book of Common Prayer (1979) Daily Reading Lectionary Year 3"

I am probably wrong, but I thought the Daily Office was on a two year cycle?

On 12/25/2021 at 1:50 AM, Tim Hall said:

I am probably wrong, but I thought the Daily Office was on a two year cycle?

You are right @Tim Hall

Daily office is based on a two year cycle. It therefore doesn't sync with the Sunday lectionary

More info can be found here

https://anglicancompass.com/the-daily-office-lectionary-rookie-anglican-guide/

Personally I would like to see the RCL Daily readings in Accordance. Maybe in 14?

i also rely on the liturgical colour and second and third services as well as the special occasions, lesser festivals and transferences. Fortunately i have these in my calendar so apart from a bit of formatting when i copy and paste its not too much effort but agree it would be nice to have everything in accordance (even both settings of the collects?).

F3D4F08E-8C6C-4217-9EB4-8C4B0FDC8A41.jpeg

369E85FE-29DE-442E-A0F6-6087CF3F488E.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of the Sunday readings.

a daily reading for the lectionary cycle is really what I’m looking for.

Edited by Whitney Mitchell

Whitney, I'm not completely clear on what you're looking for. Would the BCP Daily Office modules included with The Book of Common Prayer provide the readings you're wanting?

image.png

image.png

@R. Mansfield Short answer - no. I was thinking it was a daily reading based on the RCL… It didn’t occur to me it was only the 2 year cycle that is in the BCP.

There is a daily reading like this one that I was thinking this was: https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/daily.php?year=C

It would be great if this was something that users could access for daily readings, if it’s not available.

We do have the Revised Common Lectionary for years A-C in the Accordance Exchange, but it's only for Sunday readings. I'm attaching that here.

I would think that it shouldn't be too difficult for us to create something like this that would work with Accordance's Daily Reading feature.

Revised Common Lectionary.zip

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

We do have the Revised Common Lectionary for years A-C in the Accordance Exchange, but it's only for Sunday readings. I'm attaching that here.

I would think that it shouldn't be too difficult for us to create something like this that would work with Accordance's Daily Reading feature.

Revised Common Lectionary.zip 132.36 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks!

Would love to see the RCL Daily readings come to Accordance. 

While there are strengths and weaknesses to both the BCP daily office and the RCL Daily readings, the later win out for me due to its tie ins to the Sunday readings (Mon to Wed look back/complement the past Sunday readings, Thur to Sat look forward/complement the upcoming Sunday readings). Because of the tie ins with Sunday lectionary the RCL Daily readings are on a three year cycle vs the two year cycle of the daily office

Daily office is however more widely used than the RCL Daily readings.

• Like 1

I'm working on the RCL daily readings as a user tool. But I can't seem to get it to fly as a Daily Devotional tool. I grabbed the data from a list online and am sifting through it with regex.

So far I've got the "normal" days hyperlinked. Along with books with numbers before them (as in "2 Kings" to "2Kings") and verse-portions accounted for to hyperlink properly (as iin 1b). And I have manually linked a few of the other days with the RCL tool that is found in the exchange.

Still to do: 

- Swap out multi-word book names with their shorthand. (Song of Solomon to Song, etc...)

- Figure out how to make it work with the daily devotional feature of Acc. (Might be a limitation of the format. Even after converting to an ordinary tool, it doesn't use the same format as the .atool modules. It's a flat file, as opposed to the directory structure with a plist)

- Find a more efficient way to hyperlink..

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.24.49 PM.png

Edited by T. Conrad
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, T. Conrad said:

But I can't seem to get it to fly as a Daily Devotional tool

I could be wrong, but I don't think user tools work with the daily devotional feature. @R. Mansfield?

14 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think user tools work with the daily devotional feature. @R. Mansfield?

This is currently the case.

I think it should be noted that the RCL readings on the exchange are the ones from the Consultation on Common Texts and that The Episcopal Church adapted that lectionary for its use. So imagine my shock when I prepared a sermon for last Sunday based on Luke because I looked up the RCL readings in my user tool only to find out that the TEC reading was from John. 

The BCP module has the correct reading for last Sunday. :)

2 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

This is currently the case.

Hmmmm?!?!?

@Anthony Estes your experience is why I light heartedly like to call the RCL the Revised Commonish Lectionary.

I also refer to the RCL Daily Readings as the Revised (yet we left them out in the Cold) Lectionary Daily Readings

• 1 year later...

Is there any chance of getting the rcl three services for sunday and daily reading cycles, special services, colour, collects etc in accordance so it fully integrates in the daily reading? I know we have feasting on the word which is based around rcl but i would value having it as a stand alone module ( though i still have my workaround in my calendar)

thanks 

• Like 2

What’s the status on this one? Anything I need to file as a module request?

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

Anything I need to file as a module request?

Module request: revised common(ish) lectionary. All three sunday services, all day and special services, colour would also be useful. and collects would be icing on the cake. All to run in daily reading. 

something like these, i know we have feasting on the word but that typically focuses on the main service i think and the rcl covers so much more and i would like it as a stand alone so we dont need feasting on the word commentaries etc. 

thanks 

43AD0283-5043-4DF3-BC45-8E4C716BF0BB.jpeg

2DFBE852-8DBF-453F-8F96-6E01065DEBB4.png

130832B8-F5CD-4C15-BB37-5965AA9039EE.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

@Nathan Parker here is my past post from 2018 with my wishlist/request for an official RCL module. I believe the publisher information can be found in it.

• Like 1

Great! I’ll get this one on my list to ensure it’s noted.

And not forgetting that the 1662 version of the Book of Common Prayer has also been requested multiple times.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Michael Hunt said:

@Nathan Parker here is my past post from 2018 with my wishlist/request for an official RCL module. I believe the publisher information can be found in it.

Wow, i think i had missed the link to this site before, there is some really useful background info there, many thanks!

• Like 1

I’ll add the 1662 edition to the list as well.

• Like 2