construct search vs normal search using NOT

Kristin

Key G5456 is normally translated as "voice" in the ESV, but not always, and I wanted to find all the instances where it is translated as something other than voice. I would normally put the key in a Greek construct search and do a  "NOT" command and that works.

This time, however, instead of doing a construct search I just put my key into the search bar, then I did NOT and the English word voice. This appeared to work, but then later on I was noticing some verses which had not come up.

Was this just human error and I missed them? Or do the results of a construct search and normal search sometimes differ?

Thanks,

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

You want the key and the not "voice" to apply to the same word so join the terms with @ not <NOT>.

So :  [KEY G5456]@-voice

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hi @Λύχνις Δαν,

Thanks for your response. So if I am understanding correctly, I should not even be using the not command, but rather a minus sign? Here is a picture of what my search had looked like:

62957682_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-17um20_46_38.png.b8c15474a450a02d637f8eccfdf12e7e.png

So it seems like where the NOT is, I should have put @- instead. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Kristin

Ok, thank you for letting me know. Given that, could you clarify what the point of the NOT command is in the search bar, if it doesn't do the function I tried to use it for?

Sure. What is it used for it to say I want wordA and not wordB in the search scope.

So if your scope is say verse: Jesus <NOT> Mary would find verses containing the word Jesus but not having Mary. 

It is also used with more complex constructions like: Jesus <NOT> <FOLLOWED BY> Mary 

and so on.

But in each case it about defining criteria affecting more than one word, whereas @ appliies both criteria to the same word.

Hope this helps

Thx

D

• Like 1

@Kristin I would have initially come at the search the way you did, but Dan is correct, so thanks to Dan!

Here's an example of the difference.

Using NOT, your search range is the verse, so Rev 1.15 is not returned as a hit because the verse has two instance of the keyword, and because one of them is translated with "voice," the whole verse is ignored.

Using @ - means that you are looking at instances of the word (not verse), and so you do get Rev 1.15, since one of the two instances does not translate with voice.

• Like 1