New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (NRSVue)

Below I am pasting my grossly oversimplified overview of the lineage of some English translations. So I would say that ESV is in the same family or group of translations as both RSV and NRSV. My understanding is that the ESV came about because some folks were unhappy with certain translation choices in the RSV, like young woman vs. virgin in Isaiah, and maybe also disagreement with the extent of gender-inclusive language used in the NRSV. That said, I am not sure why they felt that NASB 1995 revision was not sufficient to cover any of their perceived shortcomings in these respects. Maybe they wanted more dynamic equivalence than NASB but less than NIV? One day I hope to take the good advice above and read the entirety of the translator notes for all of these versions (and more), and maybe that will help me to understand better what the rationales were. These kinds of questions really are pretty interesting to me, but it would still take me quite a bit of strong coffee to make any real headway.

image.thumb.png.6e5351a5e8f2d9743443b9c8ad373c35.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@docdaveI think one of the main things prompting the development of the ESV was the need for a freely available, non-copyrighted version of the Bible that could be used on the internet. ESV was freely available, and its wide use and adoption by some many today indicates it was a successful strategy.

• Like 1

a bit off-topic: there is only one way to get rid of all translations: learn Hebrew and eventually Greek. Bad for Accordance, the can no longer sale transaltion variants. But good for the budget and family: buy some flowers.😀

I'm happy with my Koren Tanach and a Hebrew translation (Delitzsch).

On 8/25/2021 at 2:45 PM, docdave said:

I will be very excited to get my hands on the updated edition! Thanks Rick, for sharing the news and the informative pdf. As a relative newcomer to Accordance, this made me wonder - If I have the current NRSV in Accordance and someday, after it becomes available, I upgrade to the updated edition, would I then have both editions or would the old one vanish? 

You would retain both versions as they are distinctly different translation. Accordance users who bought earlier versions of the NASB, NIV, NLT, HCSB, etc. still have access to the old versions as well as the new one.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:24 AM, Joe Weaks said:

If they did a thorough job of abandoning so many archaic terms (ark, pestilence, gird, fornication, fowler…), then it will surely replace the CEB as my primary English translation.

Hey, Fowler is my middle name! Not kidding: Richard Fowler Mansfield. If they change the word, how will I be able to tell people that the Bible speaks of me?

On 8/29/2021 at 10:09 PM, Daniel Wagner said:

Sorry, my ignorance. I thought there was a path from RSV to NRSV to ESV. However, it does seem like every new translation is an

answer to something that was supposedly wrong with previous version or competing work. 

Both the ESV and NRSV are revisions to the RSV. The NRSV came first, but they are wholly separate projects.

1 hour ago, mgvh said:

@docdaveI think one of the main things prompting the development of the ESV was the need for a freely available, non-copyrighted version of the Bible that could be used on the internet. ESV was freely available, and its wide use and adoption by some many today indicates it was a successful strategy.

Makes sense to make it freely available, but I was thinking ESV is copyrighted by the publisher?

1 hour ago, R. Mansfield said:

Hey, Fowler is my middle name! Not kidding: Richard Fowler Mansfield. If they change the word, how will I be able to tell people that the Bible speaks of me?

Fowler was the only word on that list that I didn't recognize! 🤣 Now I know, and would vote to keep it in!

25 minutes ago, docdave said:

Makes sense to make it freely available, but I was thinking ESV is copyrighted by the publisher?

Yes, the ESV is copyrighted by Crossway.

I thought the New English Translation (NOT the LXX) was meant to be used on the internet ... but I have been known to be wrong ...

5 minutes ago, Timothy Hall said:

I thought the New English Translation (NOT the LXX) was meant to be used on the internet ... but I have been known to be wrong ...

That was kind of the original intention to make a translation freely available with a very loose permission policy. It was the first translation to be released first on the Internet before print copies, I believe. 

22 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

Yes, the ESV is copyrighted by Crossway.

Yes indeed. I should be clearer. Crossway allowed people to access it for free from their server. That's what made it attractive for so many apps.

ESV API

Crossway allows you to access the ESV Bible text from our server and include it on your website or app, free of charge for non-commercial use. To learn more or register for the API, visit api.esv.org.

https://www.crossway.org/permissions/

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, R. Mansfield said:

I come from a long line of Fowlers, and I have mixed feelings about potentially being erased from the Bible!  😉

Robert M. Fowler

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

The NRSVue is now available in some bible software... bible gateway, olivetree...   

The NRSV is a hugely popular translation and this update will be as well.

Any update, folks?

Interesting. I would love an update on this too, but I was checking on availability recently and noticed that the Kindle version is a pre-order and won't actually be released until August 16. 

Edit: adding links for clarity. I'm not sure what the difference is here.

Released already

https://www.amazon.com/Revised-Standard-Version-Updated-Bible-ebook/dp/B09NNYLJFD

Release in August:

https://www.amazon.com/NRSVue-Holy-Bible-Apocrypha-Zondervan-ebook/dp/B09N9B4VN2

Edited by JonathanHuber

Just now, JonathanHuber said:

Interesting. I would love an update on this too, but I was checking on availability recently and noticed that the Kindle version is a pre-order and won't actually be released until August 16. 

Really? I got the Kindle version months ago.

17 minutes ago, JonathanHuber said:

I'm not sure what the difference is here

The delayed text includes the Apocrypha.

The big news in today's new availability however, is now some 3rd party outlets were able to get the etext. Accordance is now officially behind. I'm really wanting the "Show differences" ability here.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

I believe @Mark Allison was negotiating to get the text for us.

Received from the publisher today:

"Thank you for your email. The NCC would be most pleased to transition your license to the NRSVue.  I will have more information for you in terms of licensing this week."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

NRSVue will quickly become one of the default translations  for a  number  of academic and educational settings. It's the basis for the next edition of the New Oxford Annotated Bible and the next HarperCollins Study Bible. Having it available to view in parallel texts would be highly valuable.

Please add NRSVue.

Julia M. O'Brien

• Like 3

13 hours ago, juliamobrien said:

It's the basis for the next edition of the New Oxford Annotated Bible...

So if OUP decide to get their act together, we may even get a third edition of the JANT and possibly even a second edition of the JAA even before we get the first edition in accordance. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, R. Mansfield said:

Note that I don't have any info about any upcoming module release for Accordance. I kind of assume we will eventually have it, but I don't know when. I believe ebook editions from Friendship Press will be available in November. I know nothing about print editions.

I purchased an ebook of the NRSVUE from friendship press a few months ago. They are indeed selling it in the Word@Hand app currently.

• 1 month later...

Just to add a +1 here – I've been told that my Diocese would like us to move to the NRSVue as soon as practical, and it would be wonderful to have it available in Accordance.

• Like 1

Looks like the last time I posted on this topic was way back in December 2021, and 8 months later we still have no definitive word on when NRSVue will appear in Accordance? Sad. Disappointed.