searching the NA28 Apparatus

Kristin

I think I am missing something basic but I would appreciate help with searching witnesses in the NA28 Apparatus. In the CNTTS if I want to search for a papyrus I can just type "P" and the number and it figures out that "P" stands for "papyrus," but this does not seem to be the case with the NA28 Apparatus. I tried copying and pasting the squiggly "P" but it did not recognize that either. I thus need help searching witnesses.

Thank you for any clarity anyone is able to provide.

Kristin

Kristen 

ASAIK there is a video how to search the Apparatus. 

But in short: 

2054853967_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-28um07_09_35.png.0b76c89057bdc4ba1fafbd90b7af8636.png

• Like 1

Hi @Fabian, thank you for your response, but I am not sure if I understand. It appears from your picture that you are just using the number and forgetting the "P" but the problem is that brings multiple results. For example, "1" finds  ℵ1, B1, C1, D1, P1 and probably others.

Likewise, how do you search Ψ? You can't search for its numeric value of 044 because 044 does not find hits of Ψ. If you copy and paste Ψ into the witness search bar it scrambles the font.

607747088_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-28um09_05_03.png.3ba7694bd92d6c0d2130b7e9bb9cd05c.png

I copied and past. 

But you are correct, the Character Palette doesn't work. 

Normally every Witness should be exclusive. And should searchable as exclusive.

I guess Accordance has to improve the search feature. Or I have no clue. 

Fabian

• Like 1

This will work for the papyri: you're looking for P46, so go to "witnesses" in the search bar and right-click on "Word"; that will open up the mss numbers and sigla. Go down to the bottom of the list and there you will find the Gothic P, which you can select. Then right-click again and add <WITHIN 1 Words> then 46. A quick perusal doesn't show me any false hits.

The "Enter Word" command will also work for Ψ.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 2

Accordance indexes "𝔓" as a separate word from "46". So, you just need to put a space between the two "words": 𝔓 46.

A helpful trick is to view the wordlist using CMD-J while your cursor is in the search entry box. There you can see how all the ms words are indexed. Both the 𝔓 and the Ψ are located in the word list, as well as, the character palette. I had no issues using either of them. If you use the character palette, just remember to put a space between the 𝔓 and the 46. The same is true for ℵ 1. 

297093569_ScreenShot2021-07-28at8_36_35AM.thumb.png.38da806f8b14af7977290f1c8a4fe9ad.png

279655543_ScreenShot2021-07-28at8_36_47AM.thumb.png.949ab8932f8efdd7e226153b50fe385f.png

Edited by Jordan S
  • Like 6

Thank you everyone for your help. Fabian, I agree completely that each witness should be exclusive, as it is in the CNTTS. @Donald Cobb, thank you for the clarification. I tried it as you said and it worked. It is for sure a cumbersome way compared to writing "P46," but it works.

@Jordan S, I might be mistaken, but I don't think this is Accordance as much as it is the NA28 Apparatus. I might be totally wrong, but it seems to be the case since it is a lot smoother in the CNTTS. If I want to search for papyri I just need to write "P" and it is super simple. P1, P46 or whatever. The "p" just needs to be uppercase.  That said, I am relieved to see a way to find things. :)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kristin said:

It is for sure a cumbersome way compared to writing "P46," but it works.

@Jordan S, I might be mistaken, but I don't think this is Accordance as much as it is the NA28 Apparatus. I might be totally wrong, but it seems to be the case since it is a lot smoother in the CNTTS. If I want to search for papyri I just need to write "P" and it is super simple. P1, P46 or whatever. The "p" just needs to be uppercase.

This is because, in the NA apparatus, "p" can also be the abbreviation for "Peshitta" or "pauline epistles", two points that aren't covered in the CNTTS. Also "P" is a IXth century codex (Codex Porphyrianus).

That being said, Jordan's solution is easier than mine!

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

It appears that the "words" are indexed separately when the second word is superscripted. In CNTTS, "P46" does not have the superscripted number and is indexed as a single word. Whereas, a search for "sy s" in the NA28 apparatus requires the space because the second word is superscripted. Thanks for pointing this out. 

694055745_ScreenShot2021-07-28at11_10_52AM.thumb.png.ae1462563ac8d8c08250330d79f3340d.png

• Like 1

Hi @Jordan S, thank you for letting me know and the screenshot.

One thing I would just like to make sure is really clear, is that how the CNTTS does it is much easier. Over the past few days I went through ALL the mss in the CNTTS index searching each one. P1, P2, P3, ff2c, etc, etc, etc, ect. That alone took days to do, but it was possible.

Though words start with "p" in the CNTTS, it distinguishes between "p" and "P" which is helpful. "p46" finds nothing while "P46" finds everything I need.

By contrast, searching for all the mss in the NA28 is much more of a commotion needing to use the "words" command and will take much longer to find anything.

In the meantime, you can type the Gothic 𝔓 in the search entry using SHIFT-OPT-P, followed by a space and then the number of the manuscript.

I don't foresee us changing the NA28 apparatus module, since 𝔓 means something entirely different from P in that particular module. I guess you can give kudos to the publishers of the CNTTS apparatus for making your life easier. 😊

Edited by Jordan S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1