Android Development

rcdeacon

At the outset, I AM NOT complaining, however I am interested to know why Android development seems to be stagnant? It has been awhile since I have seen any significant changes to the android platform. I had to change from an iphone to an Android phone largely due to cost AND the fact that Accordance was in the process of developing the Android app. I have come to rely heavily upon Accordance in spite of the fact that I actually own the larger competitor. Accordance on the ipad is vastly superior to the competitor! I am merely asking the question about when we could see some significant updates for the Android app? I DO NOT want, or intend to ignite contention. For what it is worth, I greatly appreciate ALL of the wonderful people of Oak Tree, from the sales department to the development team. It has been a pleasure to use Accordance and to work with the developers along the way.

Bob

• Like 1

Hey Bob, 

I completely agree with you. I also have the other program. I first started with TW5 (free) but it has limited features that I eventually grew out of. I then moved to Accordance on Windows but ran into many, many technical issues and limitations. I jumped ship for the other program and it is very good on Windows, but recently I have decided to try using my android phone for my main computer rather than purchase another laptop (windows) as my current one is failing.  

The competition's android app, though, can't seem to perform searches very well (among other things). So I'm trying Accordance for Android to see if it's any better. 

There are, unfortunately, pluses and minuses for each app and both are suffering from what I consider underdevelopment.  

Both seem to have ignored using a keyboard and mouse with an android device. I can't scroll with arrows or trackpad in either. 

Accordance suffers from not being able to have more than two resources open at a time, while the competition has simulated tabs for quick access.  

Accordance does not support interlinear mode nor does it seem to link OT/NT resources together. So in parallel view I'm constantly switching between resources (the competition seems to be able to do this just fine). 

Accordance really shines on searching, except it appears as if you can only search one resource at a time (not sure on this yet, I  may be wrong). 

Accordance offers the option to store resources on the flash drive on my phone which is a BIG help. My phone only has a 32gb internal, but my card is 128gb. I upgraded to this new phone partially because my previous one only had 16gb internal.  

Concerning stagnation, I keep hearing this from both camps (accordance and competition). I have to say this was one of the BIGGEST surprises for me when I jumped into the pool of paid Bible programs coming from a free program. I thought it would be much more supported, not have as many bugs, and development would be much quicker.  

At this point, since I have paid accounts and resources for both products, I think I will just have both installed on my phone and see who develops the features I need first.  

I honestly expect mobile  devices to take over soon anyway and leave windows in the dust. Maybe then development of new features will be quicker. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Is the development of the android app interrupted?

Edited by kennete

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering the same thing about the android app.  No one seems to even answer questions about its development anymore.  Wish we could get some answer on its development.  

• 1 month later...

Can someone at Accordance give us an update on the Android app?

We had some turnover in our Android development team that slowed things down. However, we're still 100% committed to the Android platform, and the app will continue to improve. We've just had a bit of a speedbump along the way.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

While we haven’t made any announcements on our latest hirings (except on my hiring since I’m a public face for the company), Rick’s comment from when he worked here still applied. We’re still 100% committed to Android and planning on really focusing on Mobile for Android, iOS, and iPadOS as part of the future.

11 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

While we haven’t made any announcements on our latest hirings (except on my hiring since I’m a public face for the company), Rick’s comment from when he worked here still applied. We’re still 100% committed to Android and planning on really focusing on Mobile for Android, iOS, and iPadOS as part of the future.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for letting us know. That's encouraging to hear that it is still a priority. One question: is there any update on the timetable for when Notes will be an available feature for the android app? Is it something that could be put in beta first so that we could try and start using it?

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks for your work!

how big is the android development team? is anyone currently working on it?

When you look in the Google Play Store it says the app was last updated on Aug 3, 2021.

Not even a minor bug fix since then. That does not show a company that is 100% committed to the platform.

13 hours ago, Drew Patrick said:

Thanks for letting us know. That's encouraging to hear that it is still a priority. One question: is there any update on the timetable for when Notes will be an available feature for the android app? Is it something that could be put in beta first so that we could try and start using it?

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks for your work!

According to our developer’s notes, it is a high priority for the next 2.X release (so probably around 2.3). I don’t have a definite timeframe on that yet (I still need to attend some developer’s meetings to get a better understanding of the roadmap), but it is marked as a high priority on the list of features to add in an upcoming release.

I can find out if we can offer a beta of it before we release it out. I don’t see technically why we couldn’t, but I can find out for sure.

11 hours ago, KevinPurcell said:

how big is the android development team? is anyone currently working on it?

I'm still going through the orientation process and plan to both personally meet with developers and attend developer meetings to gain a better understanding of our development team. At the moment, I’ve mainly met with marketing, module developers, and desktop programmers this past week to help pass on feedback for the Accordance 14 Desktop bugs and the module requests based on the feedback here. Mobile developers will be the area I’ll be meeting with next.

I do know that mobile in general (iOS/iPadOS/Android) is going to be a focus in 2023, and both mobile and Cloud are going to be two areas we really focus on once we release a couple more major bug fix updates for 14 desktop.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If there is development, it is NOT noticeable!

To the best of my knowledge, there is no current Android development being done. 

• Sad 1

@Matt Robertson was the last Accordance employ solely dedicated to work on the Android version. He left in March, 2021, to work at Crossway. There was a compatibility update (no new features or abilities) made to the Accordance Android app in August, 2021, and that was the last time it has been updated. 

• Sad 1

We have expanded our programming team, and focusing on improving Mobile (including Android) is on our list of priorities. Nothing specific to announce at the moment (we're involved in some research on leveraging some technologies that will allow us to bring more features to Mobile in a timely manner).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

We have expanded our programming team, and focusing on improving Mobile (including Android) is on our list of priorities. Nothing specific to announce at the moment (we're involved in some research on leveraging some technologies that will allow us to bring more features to Mobile in a timely manner).

That's exciting! Looking forward to seeing some Android, iOS, and iPadOS feature updates! 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

That's exciting! Looking forward to seeing some Android, iOS, and iPadOS feature updates! 

I agree!

56 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

we're involved in some research on leveraging some technologies that will allow us to bring more features to Mobile in a timely manner

Great! Just please keep Accordance native and don't announce that it's moving to electron!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, darrylmy said:

Great! Just please keep Accordance native and don't announce that it's moving to electron!

Or, even worse, that mobile development is moving toward progressive web apps. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Or, even worse, that mobile development is moving toward progressive web apps. 

Progressive web app, no, but I actually think Electron would be a good idea. Obsidian is Electron-based, and is an unusually powerful iOS app as a result.  The only major problem I’m aware of is that Electron apparently makes it difficult to support multiple windows on iOS. 

Native apps are definitely best, but building and maintaining feature-rich native apps on five platforms seems hard for a small team of developers to pull off. A GUI built with Web technologies is a realistic way to build and maintain more capable mobile apps. I’d start with Android, where the bar of current functionality is lowest. Then, when it gets more powerful than the current iOS app, it could replace it too.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:07 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Whoever's in charge of that list has Android development WAY DOWN on the list. Maybe hire one guy to do some basic updates. Surely there's some little weekend improvement someone could work on for a little bonus to make it say July 2023 instead of nearly 2 years ago.

At this point and until there is an actual Google Play Store update, I'd put the Accordance Android App in the dead category. It's no one's priority with not even a tiny update in nearly 2 years.

The programmer has looked at the Android app, and it's a little more complicated than a weekend improvement to ensure full compatibility with more recent versions of Android. However, the work he's doing at the moment will pay off for Android (and iOS) users.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

However, the work he's doing at the moment will pay off for Android (and iOS) users.

I am excited to finally see some Android action!

Bob

• Like 2