cross highlighting broken

Kristin

One of the reasons I use the ESV as opposed to the NIV is that I can easily jump back and forth between the Greek and English without reading the context, since if I hover over a word in the ESV it highlights it in the Greek and visa versa. (And this is not the case in the NIV).

However, since the latest update I just downloaded (not Acc 13, but the update to the GNT28 which comes pre-combined with the HMT) the highlighting is no longer working. It seems really random. Instead of 99% of the words cross-highlighting, only about 10% or less are cross highlighting (Examples are Lk 1:1 and Lk 1:4-6 which are not highlighting any words in the ESV). Furthermore, several of the Greek words are not displaying any info in Instant Details at all (an example κράτιστε Θεόφιλε is in Lk 1:3). This is for sure a bug since it had been working fine up until this last update I downloaded an hour ago.

Thank you for looking  into this.

Sincerely,

Kristin

I see this too. Most words aren't cross-highlighting and the ones that do are often wrong, highlighting the wrong word.

I see this too. Most words aren't cross-highlighting and the ones that do are often wrong, highlighting the wrong word.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one. You are right that the words are often wrong when they even do cross-highlight. I also just noticed that the Instant Details which are showing are not even correct. Here is a screenshot of a few random examples.

post-35522-0-13719400-1593868258_thumb.png

It looks like there was a corruption with our recent NA28 build!  So sorry about the issue, we should have an update out today.

• Like 2

It looks like there was a corruption with our recent NA28 build!  So sorry about the issue, we should have an update out today.

Hi Joel,

Thank you for letting us know and for your help. I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks, Joel!

Joel,

I just wanted to let you know I see two other issues with the Instant Details.

1) Previously if I did a "resource link" hypertext for the pseudepigrapha, apocrypha, or Canaanite texts, after going through all the steps if I highlighted over my link it would appear in the Instant Details, even without clicking on it. Now, however, while the link does work if I double click on it, it does not appear in the Instant Details anymore. I may be wrong, but I think this may be a sub issue of this same issue, which is why I wanted to post it here as opposed to start a new thread.

2) Previously if I wanted to link something to 1 Enoch, it would not work. Rather, it would ONLY work if I deleted the "1" and typed "Enoch" instead of "1 Enoch" or "1Enoch." Now, however, all of my resource links I have done by hand are not working. I noticed that if I go back and add a "1" before Enoch it now works, but since this is new, I wanted to check with you about this before I spend a few hours and add a "1" before a few hundred links.

3) This third point is not a bug, but since I need to redo my links I wanted to mention a thread that was hear a few months ago, that it would be extremely helpful if there was a "last used" as an option for non-scriptural links. As it is, it is a 4 step process. While that may not seem like a lot, it is when I am dealing with hundreds of links. If the "last used" could remember the resource and field (since I only use references, and not words) it would save hours of work. Since the thread was a long time ago I have recreated the image (I don't remember which user originally created an image.) Thank you for considering this, and if I should be posting this somewhere else, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Kristin

post-35522-0-01086300-1593880814_thumb.png

2) Previously if I wanted to link something to 1 Enoch, it would not work. Rather, it would ONLY work if I deleted the "1" and typed "Enoch" instead of "1 Enoch" or "1Enoch." Now, however, all of my resource links I have done by hand are not working. I noticed that if I go back and add a "1" before Enoch it now works, but since this is new, I wanted to check with you about this before I spend a few hours and add a "1" before a few hundred links.

Yes, we updated all the "Enoch"s to "1Enoch" so that the Research Tab would work as expected as well as cross-highlighting. Sorry for the negative side effects!

• Like 1

I'm having the same issue with UBS5 (see separate post)

And there's an update now for the GNT-28-T (version 3.2) and many of our other texts that fixes the corruption issue.

I'm having the same issue with UBS5 (see separate post)

Haven't fixed it yet, but the update is coming asap.

• Like 2

And there's an update now for the GNT-28-T (version 3.2) and many of our other texts that fixes the corruption issue.

Haven't fixed it yet, but the update is coming asap.

Wonderful, thank you!

Yes, we updated all the "Enoch"s to "1Enoch" so that the Research Tab would work as expected as well as cross-highlighting. Sorry for the negative side effects!

Hi Mark,

OK, thank you for letting me know about the updated Greek and for clarifying the Enoch text. I will go ahead and re-add them. Concerning the "last used" picture I posted above, is there any chance of that being added? I work with a lot of extrabiblical material and it is extremely challenging. Especially with the Ugaritic material, if there was a "last used" it would really help.

Thank you again for your help,

Kristin

Kristen,

A "last used" option is a good idea, and I'll pass it on to our developers (though I'm sure Joel has already seen it. He's good about reading posts on the forum).

• Like 1

Kristen,

A "last used" option is a good idea, and I'll pass it on to our developers (though I'm sure Joel has already seen it. He's good about reading posts on the forum).

Hi Mark, thanks for letting me know. :)

• Like 1

Kristen, thank you as always for the reports.

1) We've fixed the bug where Resource Links to verses weren't displaying in ID.  This should be ready next build.

2) Regarding the recents, have you tried using accord URLs instead?  If you used a URL like:

https://accordance.bible/link/read/PSEUD-CW?1Enoch_6:6-7

Then, ID and click both work, and you can just copy/paste and modify as desired.

You can also generate the link with a right-click in the entry box for a search -> "Copy as Search URL".

Kristen, thank you as always for the reports.

1) We've fixed the bug where Resource Links to verses weren't displaying in ID.  This should be ready next build.

2) Regarding the recents, have you tried using accord URLs instead?  If you used a URL like:

https://accordance.bible/link/read/PSEUD-CW?1Enoch_6:6-7

Then, ID and click both work, and you can just copy/paste and modify as desired.

You can also generate the link with a right-click in the entry box for a search -> "Copy as Search URL".

Hi Joel,

Thank you for your message and for letting me know that bug has been worked out. :)

Concerning the web idea instead of using a resource link, no, I have not tried that. I tried to open the link example you showed, but I can’t open it since Accordance says I do not own the resource. (I think I must own a different version or something).

I nonetheless tried to use the web option to create a link and have a few questions.

1) The link I created is just the verse numbers since I do not know what I am doing. Based on your example, I would need to use the link to the resource as found in the Accordance store. Is this correct?

2) Though my example did not work (since my link is bogus) it did attempt to open the link which has created another question. It appears that the “web” option is not actually opening in my application, and as a result, I cannot use “add parallel” with the Ugaritic text, but I cannot add my notes to this window either as a parallel. Is this all correct? I am just a little confused.

3) On another note, I am noticing that my Ugaritic links (through a resource link option) are no longer working (though they were previously). Has the format for the Ugaritic English (and Ugaritic) been changed as Enoch vs 1 Enoch has been? I will attach a few pics to try to clarify my confusion. I admit I am kind of concerned about this since it has been really time consuming adding all these resource links in the first place.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Kristin

post-35522-0-11488700-1594065792_thumb.png

post-35522-0-29757500-1594065840_thumb.png

I wasn't sure which Pseudepigrapha you were referring to.  I linked to Charlesworth, perhaps you were linking to the older Charles?

1) The links do use the code of the text, which can either be found on the store, or in About this Text…, in parentheses, at the end of the bolded title.  However, the easiest way is to either do a search for the verses you want, and choose 'Copy as Search URL', or simply right click in the text you wish to cite and do Copy As -> Location URL.  Note, the Location URL is always only one verse, but you can add more verses to the link as you like.

2) It looks like your syntax is wrong.  The link shouldn't just be the reference, but should look like this in the "Link" field:

https://accordance.bible/link/read/UGAR-E?UDB1_17_6:51-52

Since the syntax was wrong, but you selected 'Web URL', Accordance tried to make it into a weblink regardless, so it opened up the web browser.  If the link is correct, it will stay internal to the program (and not require internet!)

3) This is unfortunately another bug!  It looks like we are accidentally converting the underscore (_) used in many of the Ugaritic book names. We'll get this fixed ASAP.  I may send you a private build as soon as it is ready, since two of these bugs affect your work so much.

I wasn't sure which Pseudepigrapha you were referring to.  I linked to Charlesworth, perhaps you were linking to the older Charles?

1) The links do use the code of the text, which can either be found on the store, or in About this Text…, in parentheses, at the end of the bolded title.  However, the easiest way is to either do a search for the verses you want, and choose 'Copy as Search URL', or simply right click in the text you wish to cite and do Copy As -> Location URL.  Note, the Location URL is always only one verse, but you can add more verses to the link as you like.

2) It looks like your syntax is wrong.  The link shouldn't just be the reference, but should look like this in the "Link" field:

https://accordance.bible/link/read/UGAR-E?UDB1_17_6:51-52

Since the syntax was wrong, but you selected 'Web URL', Accordance tried to make it into a weblink regardless, so it opened up the web browser.  If the link is correct, it will stay internal to the program (and not require internet!)

3) This is unfortunately another bug!  It looks like we are accidentally converting the underscore (_) used in many of the Ugaritic book names. We'll get this fixed ASAP.  I may send you a private build as soon as it is ready, since two of these bugs affect your work so much.

Hi Joel,
Concerning the web format, thank you for the explanation, and that is good to hear that it would open in Accordance and not require the internet. For some reason, similar to the book of Enoch, this link you provided is also not opening (saying I do not own the resource even though I obviously do). Using the resource links option has always worked for me, so I think I will just keep using that. Thank you again for the explanation though.

Concerning the resource links being broken, I am glad to hear this is a bug and not a new format. Thank you for letting me know you will keep me informed with them working again. I appreciate it. 

Take care,
Kristin

Kristin, just checking in, I went back to Accordance 12.3.7, and it has the same error with Ugaritic.  When was the last time you were sure a click on the link worked?

Kristin, just checking in, I went back to Accordance 12.3.7, and it has the same error with Ugaritic.  When was the last time you were sure a click on the link worked?

Hi Joel, 

Though I cannot give a specific date, I can say that I believe it started when the link format was changed.

Previously, the Ugaritic English used only numbers, while the Tagged Ugaritic used a combination of numbers and Roman numerals. 

For example, the English was always UDB1_3 4:2 while the Tagged was previously UDB1_3 IV:2. That is no longer the case and now they both use only numbers, which broke a lot of links. It is ok as using a combination of numbers and Roman numerals for only one of the texts was confusing.

On another note (but a related note), I cannot add links at all for the Tagged Ugaritic anymore since it does not show up as an option. It is sitting there in my “Ugaritic” folder with the English version, but then when I go to add  a resource link the Ugaritic folder has been moved to “Other” and only the English is showing.

I can open both texts, and I can add it as a parallel, but I cannot access it to create a link.

Since this is kind of confusing I will attach a screenshot about this, and I will also attach a screenshot of a similar conversation awhile ago when the Tagged Ugaritic was still using part numbers and part Roman numerals.

Thank you for your help,
Kristin

post-35522-0-58528700-1594139385_thumb.png

post-35522-0-04977700-1594139403_thumb.png