Pastor going iPad only?

Garye

On 5/29/2024 at 3:41 PM, Leopold Green said:

I suspect we are not that many decades away from a time when everything, quite literally, will be because of climate change

I suppose you may be right since everything is eventually going to melt with fervent heat.

I'm just glad God is going to be the one to set it on fire, sounds like global warming to the extreme. I'm just wondering what Peter meant by "hastening the coming of the day of God," should I be burning more fossil fuels?

2Pet. 3:12 waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn!

(Seriously people, we need a forum for humor. This stuff just writes itself.)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 3:38 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

We're definitely not going to abandon the iPad (or iOS in general). Right now our highest priority is getting syncing and Cloud out the door, but mobile is still a focus for us, especially those who want to do more with their iPads.

please forgive me for being skeptical. There have been a ton of feature requests popular in the forums that have been largely ignored, and bugs that are not been fixed for quite a while. And we still can’t get the productivity boost of more than one panel (splittable, yes, but that has its own limitations) or the ability to open two Accordance windows side by side to help overcome this. 

At this point, I am strongly considering a jump to a different program, but spending the money has given me pause… for now.

• Like 3

While we don't have an official announcement at the moment, I'm still pleased with the overall strategy I've been seeing from our programming team.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 1:45 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

While we don't have an official announcement at the moment, I'm still pleased with the overall strategy I've been seeing from our programming team.

How about some screenshots of features that you're particularly pleased with @Dr. Nathan Parker? Like the ones that @R. Mansfield used to post when a beta was getting close to release! 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I would never suggest using another product in these forums, I would say that anyone who wants to go iPad only should not if they are primarily an Accordance user. There is NO record that Accordance will ever make a decent iPad product. They’ve promised and promised for years and have NEVER delivered. I assume with so many failures in this area that they will never deliver anytime soon. If I’m wrong it’s very easy to prove me wrong. Show us some screenshots.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2024 at 1:45 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

We don't question the "strategy" of the programming team.  However, we need more than a plan.  We need some improvements to be delivered.     The truth is that Accordance on iPad is very limited at the moment.    The lack of reliable syncing and features is the main reason that I have been forced to use a competitor on the iPad.    For the last two years all that we have received is "strategy".  At some point things need to progress from planning to implementation.  Personally, I will not believe that the app is improving till I see it.  Too many promises undelivered on for me to believe otherwise.  I hope Accordance proves me wrong.

• Like 1

@Mark Allison I will post updates to Accordance Announcements when I have something to share, although I may need to borrow some Tabasco from @R. Mansfield first. 

31 minutes ago, dmwebb6 said:

For the last two years all that we have received is "strategy".  At some point things need to progress from planning to implementation.  Personally, I will not believe that the app is improving till I see it.  Too many promises undelivered on for me to believe otherwise.

This is how I feel about note and highlight corruption.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup, the poor experience on the iPad + the repeated failure to deliver on promises + the incredible slowness to add good resources + the frustrating release of V 14, finally caused me to make the leap to another software… I haven’t regretted my decision once! If Accordance wants to stay on the market, I don’t see how that’ll happen without serious updating, new packages, better pricing, and just more “life.” It just feels like things have slowed down in the past couple of years. I wish it the best, but I have my doubts…

• Like 2

I’m still holding out hope, but I’m not investing any more money into resources until I see something to give me a reason to hold out hope. Screenshots, updates, something tangible.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KevinPurcell said:

Show us some screenshots.

Yes please, screenshots! 

4 hours ago, Robb B said:

something tangible

Yes, tangible!

We don’t ask for much  ... just for a prove of life 😅!

• Like 1

There is one screenshot of Accordance for the cloud at the begining of the following thread from 2022:

2 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

There is one screenshot of Accordance for the cloud at the beginning of the following thread from 2022:

You'd think that after almost two years, Accordance could post another screenshot. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Accordance actually gave limited demos of the web version of Accordance at ETS/SBL in 2021. You read that year correctly. Almost THREE YEARS AGO!

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

You'd think that after almost two years, Accordance could post another screenshot. 

They could do contract work. The government can't keep secrets that long!

Edited by mhanel
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately I’ve also given up on accordance.  I can’t get a workable install on my M3 air (site support said that it was a known issue with the latest installer that messes up easy install and the fix’s they suggested didn’t work).  The iOS app is not as good as what other companies had over 10 years ago.  Accordance used to be faster than the other guy and had resources that they didn’t. This is no longer the case. I’ve used word search, Biblesoft, quickverse, and a few others and watched them fail.  Hopefully Accordance will be able to work out their problems but I’m done with unkept promises and buggy software.  Fortunately I’ve used two other programs that work well (one iPad only that is incredible useful). And have been able to acquire good libraries through sales and promotions.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 7:59 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@Mark Allison I will post updates to Accordance Announcements when I have something to share, although I may need to borrow some Tabasco from @R. Mansfield first. 

So, during the past three years, Accordance hasn't made any progress on the Cloud version that they're willing to share with their forum users? Nothing? Nada? You had no problem demoing it to users ready to spend money on it three years ago, but now you refuse to even show one screenshot? 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

@Troy Wormellcare to weigh in? People like Mark and me are not newer users but decades long customers and even past employees and/or contractors with Oak Tree.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is truly sad.  Accordance seems to be going the way of Bibleworks.  This thread will probably get locked, because users are calling out Accordance...and rightfully so!!  I have not used Accordance in well over 4 months. Prior to that I used it once or twice a week.  Prior to 14, I used it almost every day.  It was running on my Mac at home and at Work.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I've been an Accordance user since 2005. I had purchased some theological journals in another app when I decided to give Accordance a try at the recommendation of a former seminary professor. I can still remember placing my order for Accordance and waiting a few days for my installation CD-ROMs to arrive in the mail. Over the years, so many more CDs arrived with new modules to add to my growing library. When I lived in Wichita I drove to Dallas one weekend for an Accordance seminar, where I had the opportunity to meet Roy and Helen Brown. I was blown away by the seminar and all the things Accordance could do that I did not realize were possible.

It wasn't long after that when Roy invited me to Orlando to train to lead Accordance seminars as a contractor for Oak Tree. I remember going to the Browns' home and seeing where Roy's office was as he crafted and coded Accordance so carefully and with so much passion. His enthusiasm for God's Word and for the product he had developed to help people like me dig into the Word deeper was contagious. 

In those days, Helen frequented the user forums, directly (sometimes VERY directly) responding to user's questions, ideas, and complaints. Every iteration of the software was an exciting event. I stayed up all night with my newborn baby installing Accordance 8 and its related packages to give my wife a break so she could get a full night's sleep (and because Roy released 8 around 11pm Central Time!) and I knew I had new features I needed to try out in the upgrade. It was a win-win situation.

Sadly, that doesn't even feel like the same company that develops Accordance now. We almost never hear from anyone but Nathan. Nathan does a good job with what he has, but it feels like as users we've been hung out to dry, with no communication, no updates, and no concern. The worst part of that is that the user base for this software isn't using it to do something inconsequential, but we are teachers of God's Word, using these tools for ministries God has called us to do. Seeing how this has unfolded is like watching something I love die, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

At this point the lack of communication could be read any number of ways, but the one that seems to be the most likely option is that Accordance has nothing new to report, development has stalled (at best), and they know making that public will cut into current sales. They are milking what's left of the user base for everything they can before the inevitable shut down or sale to another company. If that's what's happening, it's shameful.

If that's not what's happening, fixing that perception would be the easiest thing in the world. Communicate. Tell us why we should stick with Accordance and give us proof of life (screenshots, new features included in those screenshots, new modules under development, etc.). What do you have to lose at this point, unless you are just allowing things to die slowly while extracting every last possible cent from your most loyal customers?

Accordance is still my favorite Bible study app. What Roy did with his interface and the speed of the application is brilliant. It would be a shame to let it die.

Accordance, it's your move. What's next?

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Robb B said:

If that's what's happening, it's shameful.

Thank you Robb. Well spoken.

14 hours ago, Robb B said:

Seeing how this has unfolded is like watching something I love die, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

No you are not. Your words resonate deeply in the hearts of many long time Accordance users (and most loyal customers indeed)

• Like 5

I’m sad that I am the latecomer and attracted by the iPad searching capability Accordance app few years ago. Invest all over again after discouraged by the Logos iOS app. Now seeing the Logos iPadOS app is catching up

Edited by henryaukc
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:40 AM, Robb B said:

@Troy Wormellcare to weigh in? People like Mark and me are not newer users but decades long customers and even past employees and/or contractors with Oak Tree.

That will never happen. Did you learn nothing from the v14 launch???

• Like 2

On 7/6/2024 at 1:07 AM, Kristin said:

This is how I feel about note and highlight corruption.

What are you doing for notes now? I’ve found that keeping backups and a backup of my backup of accordance files has kept me safe. But what are you using if not accordance?

29 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

What are you doing for notes now? I’ve found that keeping backups and a backup of my backup of accordance files has kept me safe. But what are you using if not accordance?

Hi @A. Smith,

My notes are basically in two sections. The first is what I would maybe call “research notes” or something, which concerns notes I make for myself for things I am researching.

The second type would be “class notes” which are notes I use when I am conducting a class. So 99% of the notes are things I know by heart anyway, but I just like my class notes so I’m not literally conducting a class from my memory.

With that as a preface, using Mac Numbers for my academic notes has worked really well. The disadvantage is that instead of simply clicking “add note” I need to actively go to Numbers (which is always open) and paste or type there, which is an extra step. It also has the disadvantage of not being hyperlinked. That said, there are a lot of advantages. It has SPELL CHECK which is something basic which as always been missing from Acc notes, it is searchable, sortable, and best of all, it doesn’t experience corruption. (I do TimeMachine every day just in case, but Numbers has always been really stable, and has handled Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic without a problem). So that has been a great solution.

The class notes have still been a huge issue since I realistically need something which is hyperlinked and scrolls with me as I go through the text with students. So I am currently still using the old Accordance notes just to have them, but since I haven’t been keeping them up, they don’t even reflect my current class and I wind up just going off of memory with my old notes sitting there and not being referenced. I still feel better with them open though, even if I don’t actually look at them. So I am still thinking of a better solution for that. For years I had been holding out for Accordance to fix their note corruption issues, (since they said they were doing that and I had believed it), but obviously I am in need of a better solution. I have considered using L notes, but after what I went through with Accordance I am worried about 1) potential corruption 2) whether I can export my own notes (as I should be able to do in Accordance, obviously, but can’t). I will never again write notes anywhere without assurance that the company respects the fact that I wrote them and lets me export my own work. 

• Like 1