Pastor going iPad only?

Garye

23 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Quick question: How much productivity (in addition to running the Accordance app) do all of you now do on an iPad vs a Mac? Do any of you stick with the on-screen keyboard only or use external keyboards?

That's tricky for me to answer.  My current iPad is the 10.5" iPad Pro, which came out in 2017.  While it's great that I've gotten 7 years out of it, the battery life has become quite prohibitive.  I also upgraded to an M1 Pro MBP when they came out, so that's been my primary machine for the past few years.  But, I really like working on the iPad.  I think the one-app-at-a-time helps me stay more focused.

All that being said, I did get a Magic Keyboard (just the regular bluetooth keyboard) that made using the iPad as a productivity device much more, well, productive.  Along those lines, once I got the new MBP, I've been able to make use of Sidecar and Continuity to control both devices at once, which has been great.

I've already ordered an 11" M4 iPad Pro and the iPad Magic Keyboard, and look forward to transitioning toward that as my primary productivity machine, especially when traveling.  But, as I said above, Apple really needs to untether iPadOS from iOS in so many different ways that would really help.

Good feedback. Keep me posted how things go with your M4 iPad.

Posted (edited)

The Achilles' heal of iPad is still iPadOS. And lack of serious developers (ahem, ACCORDANCE). I still use my 2018 iPad Pro. There is nothing I need to do but can't do on that iPad that I could do on a newer iPad, even if it has an M4. It's excessively expensive wasted potential if you're not in a few key creative fields. 

Maybe iPadOS 18 will be more like macOS and less like an oversized iPhone. 

Edited by A. Smith

On 5/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, R. Mansfield said:

And I was always pushing from the inside trying to get it to be more than a companion app, but no effort was ever really made in that direction. With the power of today's mobile devices, I believe this is more important than ever. 

The accordance iPad app is an utter waste of anything beyond a 10 year old iPad. None of the power is used. None of the screen space is used. None of the multitasking.  Absolutely none. 

5 hours ago, A. Smith said:

The Achilles' heal of iPad is still iPadOS. And lack of serious developers (ahem, ACCORDANCE). I still use my 2018 iPad Pro. There is nothing I need to do but can't do on that iPad that I could do on a newer iPad, even if it has an M4. It's excessively expensive wasted potential if you're not in a few key creative fields. 

Maybe iPadOS 18 will be more like macOS and less like an oversized iPhone. 

Agreed.  My 2017 iPad Pro has been fantastic, other than missing a few features of the new OS's each year.  But the battery now loses 50% over the course of a worship service (I preach from my iPad), and it is starting to take longer to load things that it used to do quite snappily.  And, I'm picky about displays and maximizing longevity.  Should I have gotten an iPad Air?  Most likely.  But since I could get the Pro... :D 

iPadOS in general still feels limited to me. Looking forward to WWDC and see what happens.

Would also love to see some desktop-class tools on Accordance for iPad (and iPhone). Having Research would be a great start.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:41 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Looking forward to WWDC.

Quick question: How much productivity (in addition to running the Accordance app) do all of you now do on an iPad vs a Mac? Do any of you stick with the on-screen keyboard only or use external keyboards?

I stopped using my Mac Mini three years ago. If I can’t do it on my iPad, then I won’t do it. This means bible study, topic research, reading, sermon preparation, spreadsheet creation, slideshow creation, document ration, and basic photo editing.

2 hours ago, zcostilla said:

I stopped using my Mac Mini three years ago. If I can’t do it on my iPad, then I won’t do it. This means bible study, topic research, reading, sermon preparation, spreadsheet creation, slideshow creation, document ration, and basic photo editing.

Interesting to know!

For me Accordance is the biggest weakness on the iPad - Ulysses, Muse, Obsidian, Drafts, Lightroom, DEVONthink are all either same as macOS versions or close enough - and that is without factoring in the use of the pencil which obviously you can't on the Mac - even hated MS 365 works (I only use it because work demand it) though misses some features - on the other hand the interface is much less cluttered and reminds me a bit of Word 5.1 back in the day (of system 7)

for me the thing missing is Accordance - plus as someone else noted - when transferring to new iPad from iCloud backup it all works like a dream except for... yes Accordance where you have to manually download all your resources and then start from scratch with the setting... honestly

17 hours ago, zcostilla said:

If I can’t do it on my iPad, then I won’t do it

Wow! Does this include Accordance, too?