15pt font size.

Ιακοβ

Certainly ediing a font is a creative way around the restriction from selecting 15pt in a font dropdown box :D However who wants a second copy of their favourite fonts popping up in all of their applications? Somehow simly allowing 15pt would make all of our lives easier.

• Like 1

Certainly ediing a font is a creative way around the restriction from selecting 15pt in a font dropdown box :D However who wants a second copy of their favourite fonts popping up in all of their applications? Somehow simly allowing 15pt would make all of our lives easier.

I agree. Of course I don't know all the technicalities of why it is an issue, but it would be nice if Accordance could simply use the standard OS X font panel. We could have any size font we want. I know they've done an awesome job on Accordance, so I'm thankful for what we have. These issues would be icing on the cake. :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was sad to see this wasn't included in Accordance 12. Perhaps we could get it for Accordance 13?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

No 15pt font size in 12.06 either?  :(

• 3 months later...

Perhaps we could get it in 12.1.4?

• 4 months later...

I was pretty sad to see that we couldn't get 15pt font size in the latest Accordance 12.2. I wonder what is so difficult about allowing a choice between a font that comes out a little to big (16pt) and a little too small (14pt) for my eyes on my laptop screen.  14 point is a little straining on my eyes when I am tired, and 16pt doesn't fit as many panels as I would like when using lots of panels on a small monitor.

• Like 1

I was pretty sad to see that we couldn't get 15pt font size in the latest Accordance 12.2. I wonder what is so difficult about allowing a choice between a font that comes out a little to big (16pt) and a little too small (14pt) for my eyes on my laptop screen.  14 point is a little straining on my eyes when I am tired, and 16pt doesn't fit as many panels as I would like when using lots of panels on a small monitor.

I know what you mean. I think it is the Holy Grail of programming. It will take a feat of software engineering the likes of which the world has never seen. They will have to mobilize a force of engineers equal the U.S. space program of the 1960s. They will need tools that have not been built and programming techniques that have not been discovered. And when it happens, the world will rejoice. :-)

Edited by Brett K.
  • Like 1

Brett: The facetious tone of your post is noted. How many people actually really want 15 point font size? The list of features on our to-do list is already as long as my arm.

• Like 1

Helen, if you had a 15-point arm you could fit a lot more on to it than the standard 12-point arm.

• Like 1

I wasn't going for "facetious"—just joking around. :)

I have no idea how many people want it. I'm sure the same thing happens to a lot of people (as it did to me). You find the perfect font, then 14pt is too small and 16pt is too big. Strictly from a user perspective, people think, "I can use whatever font size I want in other Mac apps, why can't I do the same in Accordance?" I realize there's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes depending on which APIs you are using so it's not as simple as that. But, from a user perspective, they just see what looks like obvious functionality available in most every application.

Edited by Brett K.

Perhaps I should add, Accordance is so awesome, that it really is saying something when my most desired feature request is a minor issue of font size so I can fit more on the screen. 

For the record, the only other minor features I want in accordance (apart from 15pt font size), are:

1. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)

2. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)

3. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My question is why Accordance offers us 84 pt and 96 pt as options for text. Is that seriously necessary?

I wonder if there is a technical issue here that harks back tot he time when typefaces (fonts) came in two parts, screen fonts and printer fonts. The screen font (which was displayed on the screen) was at fixed sizes, 9pt, 10pt, 12pt, 14pt etc, usually always even numbers (except for 9).

As I understand it, all modern fonts are now fully scalable or vector-based, so it should not be unreasonable to have an empty input box where the user can just enter the font size he or she wants. 

With QuarkXPress you can even enter font sizes as decimals, eg 7.6pt, 9.3pt, 11.2 pt for more exact control over the font size.

While that may not be necessary, it might be worthwhile sourcing easy-to-read typefaces for on-screen use, perhaps even the use of specifically dyslexia-friendly fonts.

• Like 1

I for one use the 84 and 96 point fonts almost every single week.  They are the size I use to export to Keynote for presentations.  I don't know how Accordance should best handle fonts, but I certainly hope we do not lose the ability to keep larger fonts for export.

In Christ,

Bret

I just realised that I had set the font size of Finder windows (list view) to 15pt.

• 3 months later...

Hi Alistair,

I know that the Accordance software has been around for quite some time, so there is a chance that it might not have been designed to layout text in a way that everything can be scaled so easily. (I assume this would be the same reason we have restrictions on font selection, i.e. we seem to be able to select our English font, but not our Greek font... I imagine there might be something special going on with displaying references to the apparatus).

That said, we can always hope that the software will be upgraded at some point to allow more flexibility for different types of devices and screens. I love Accordance and can't imagine switching any time soon.

I wonder if there is a technical issue here that harks back tot he time when typefaces (fonts) came in two parts, screen fonts and printer fonts. The screen font (which was displayed on the screen) was at fixed sizes, 9pt, 10pt, 12pt, 14pt etc, usually always even numbers (except for 9).

As I understand it, all modern fonts are now fully scalable or vector-based, so it should not be unreasonable to have an empty input box where the user can just enter the font size he or she wants. 

With QuarkXPress you can even enter font sizes as decimals, eg 7.6pt, 9.3pt, 11.2 pt for more exact control over the font size.

• 6 months later...

I just realised I’ve had this laptop for 3 years now, I actually didn’t expect to have this laptop for that long, but I’m still using it. Will it last until 4?

So I figure it’s about time for another bump of my 15pt font size request. I am beginning to suspect that what will happen is, we’ll finally get 15pt font size, about one week after my laptop dies, or is replaced

Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 2