15pt font size.

Ιακοβ

OK, I have to ask, "Why 15 pt. when we already have both 14 pt. and 16pt.?"

• Like 1

He or another had explained, that for him the 14 is to small for his eyes and the 16 are to big for his small screen.

Greetings

Fabian

OK, I have to ask, "Why 15 pt. when we already have both 14 pt. and 16pt.?"

On my 12" macbook, In my normal 3 panel, roughly equal size layout, plus that mouseover grey box thing for greek words I don't know at the bottom:

• 14pt is just a little too small to be comfortable, I can use it, but its a little straining for a long session. 
  • 16pt allows about 3 verses on the screen at a time. 
Edited by Ιακοβ

Thanks, I was just curious.

One possibility is to decrease your screen resolution, which has the effect of making everything larger (including Accordance's menus). System Preferences>Display>Scaled. If there aren't enough choices for you, there are several utilities available on the App Store that have additional options. Just search for (English) Display Resolution.

Hope this helps!

Different fonts at same sizes present at different sizes on screen. if you're not too particular about your font choice you can perhaps explore different fonts.

• Like 3

Thanks, I was just curious.

One possibility is to decrease your screen resolution, which has the effect of making everything larger (including Accordance's menus). System Preferences>Display>Scaled. If there aren't enough choices for you, there are several utilities available on the App Store that have additional options. Just search for (English) Display Resolution.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Timothy—That would be handy if I wanted to increase the font size of everything in all applications. Which I really don't want to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Settling into a long reading session and getting annoyed by the font being too big, figure I should bump this.  :mellow:

Edited by Ιακοβ

I agree. I use many different fonts at a variety of sizes. It would be nice to have the freedom to set *any* font size. But it's definitely nice to have 1pt increments in everything from 9pt to 18pt. Some people have specific font requirements and that would be helpful when choosing a different font is not really an option.

• Like 3

Nerd alert!

The font size applies to capitals with a bit of space above and below.

For you, i think The important size is the x height which ignores the assender (as in a 'h, b, k') and is specified by the font designer.

I suggest looking at your fonts in the mac font book (in applications if you dont have it open) and using a font where the x, o, a, etc look bigger (taller and wider) than your current default reading font.

I have some fonts with extreemly large assenders with correspondingly small x height.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Yes I understand what you mean. There are indeed some fonts on my computer that look a little bigger than 14 or a little smaller than 16. They are not anything I would want to read with though. Would be better if Helvetica, and the other vanilla style fonts could be 15pt. I wonder if it is possibe to to find a service to take a font and scale it up 1pt before you install it. ie, perhaps called "Helvetica+1" or something like that to distinguish it from the normal Helvetica.

Have you tried verdana? Its designed for screens and is a sans serif font.

Or helvetica neue (not sure if its one of my added fonts). I still prefer Gill Sans designed by eric gill.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Fraser: Gill Sans is of course the favoured font of anyone who spends much of their time reading Common Worship!!!

I do have to add that I typeset all my service sheets using Gill Sans. Maybe I am just a closet Anglican

• Like 1

I was using gill sans long before common worship.

But i do enjoy using my common worship books, paricularly the main service book as its bound in leather so smells and feels wonderful and as i think the typography is visually stunning so three senses are stimulated.

Its a shame times and seasons isnt available in a leather binding as that is my other go to volume for essential seasonal material.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

I'm enjoying this topic.

I do think more than 15 vs 16, the best we can do is take some time to find just the right typeface that works for us.

That is the current best solution, but some people don't have a choice of the typeface. For example, people with vision problems have a limited number of typefaces to choose from. Some are limited to one typeface like the American Printing House for the Blind's low-vision Aphont (http://www.aph.org/products/aphont/). That is about the only typeface my father can read anymore.

Edited by Brett K.

Nice font, wider and thicker letters with small assender. Something to add to the mix

;o)

• Like 2

Nice font, wider and thicker letters with small assender. Something to add to the mix

;o)

The space between the letters is wider also. My father complains about letters running together, but this one works for him.

When I first saw it, I thought it looked a lot like Apple's classic Geneva. I printed out a paragraph in Geneva on one page and Aphont on another--I did not labe which was which on the paper. I really could not tell a lot of difference. I put them in front of him and in a split second, he said, "This one is much better," and pointed to Aphont. So people who have vision problems really can tell the difference.

• Like 1

I do have to say, I do love that we are able to adjust the line spacing. Some font's work fine with the defaults, but some of my fonts do have strangly smaller space between the lines. (My favourite example being the Font they use for NASB, its been especially condensed somehow, Lexicon No 1 I think its called)

Before adobe messed everything up with their licensing, i got a load of fonts with one of their suites of products and they had a neat feature with some if their fonts where you could create your own font style by taking their font but adjsting the kerning (gap between letters) and other characteristics and then saving it so you could pick it like any other font in word or excel etc.

Unfortunately, that on my windows pc which has just died.

For the adventurous, there is always font creator where you can let you imagination go wild.

http://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/fontcreator.html

I do have to say, I do love that we are able to adjust the line spacing. Some font's work fine with the defaults, but some of my fonts do have strangly smaller space between the lines. (My favourite example being the Font they use for NASB, its been especially condensed somehow, Lexicon No 1 I think its called)

Absolutely! Most fonts I use require line space adjustment.

I recall a feature called Multiple Master fonts that allowed you to edit the weight, serifs etc of various fonts and save them. Adobe recently revealed a video showing some new tech as a variation on that theme, I cannot remember where I saw it.

Nerd alert!

For you, i think The important size is the x height which ignores the assender (as in a 'h, b, k') and is specified by the font designer.

I suggest looking at your fonts in the mac font book (in applications if you dont have it open) and using a font where the x, o, a, etc look bigger (taller and wider) than your current default reading font.

I have some fonts with extreemly large assenders with correspondingly small x height.

;o)

I seem to recall that keys to legibility of text include:

Use fonts with comparatively large x-heights and relatively short ascenders and descenders.

Use of a typeface that has serifs.

Line lengths that do not exceed the length of two lower case alphabets (ie a to z twice, in lower case)

Good use of leading.

Most people probably won't have hundreds of professionally designed fonts (sorry, typefaces) on their system, but will have a handful, and probably a lot of less good ones available for free from sites such as dafont.com or from software bundles or wherever.

So yes, you can run Accordance in Papyrus and Comic sans if you really want to, but take a minute to have a look at your paper Bible on the shelf and make a close study of how it was (professionally) typeset. Examine the choice of typeface, the use of leading, the width of columns, the use of hyphenation. Observe.

Unless, as we mentioned for people with vision problems, you are limited to certain fonts.

Anyone can edit a font and change the x-height. I do that. There's a cross-platform app called Font Forge that lets you edit a font however you want. It requires XQuartz on Mac.

FontSquirrel.com has an automatic utility to increase the x-height. But it will only allow open source fonts. If you try to convert something by Adobe, Linotype, Monotype, etc., it tells you they are copyrighted and cannot be converted.

• Like 1

Unless, as we mentioned for people with vision problems, you are limited to certain fonts.

Anyone can edit a font and change the x-height. I do that. There's a cross-platform app called Font Forge that lets you edit a font however you want. It requires XQuartz on Mac.

FontSquirrel.com has an automatic utility to increase the x-height. But it will only allow open source fonts. If you try to convert something by Adobe, Linotype, Monotype, etc., it tells you they are copyrighted and cannot be converted.

Hi Brett, sorry I missed your previous posting.

Apologies if I sounded too abrupt and inconsiderate; that was not my intention.

• Like 1