Greek Psalms in a Year (feel free to join us)

Abram K-J

A couple of weeks ago. It broke with the release of Accordance 11.

The fix for this, and many other bugs, is coming soon, don't fret!

• Like 1

Great! Thanks, Joel. (Even though I didn't report the fix--I see how I stand to benefit from it, though, with thanks to Russell and Daniel.)

The fix for this, and many other bugs, is coming soon, don't fret!

Many thanx Joel.

D

Ok guys I have an Anki deck I'm pretty happy with. I've been testing a variant of it for nearly a week now on my phone.

It has one deck with 48 subdecks, one for each of the weeks of Russell's program. I've filled in the missing gloss for αποκτεννω. Its basically 1224 according to the criteria : words are not frequent (or do not occur) in the NT (between 0-10 occurrences) and occur between 1 and 50 times in the LXX.

I'm not yet sure how many reviews per day it will settle to for steady state - somewhere around a 100 per day at about 15mins - hopefully less with the reinforcement provided by the reading of the words in the wild, so to speak. It only took me about a 3 days to see the first week's "new card" vocab, and now I have the second week coming online mixed in with the first week's "review" cards. Anyhow it's all pretty configurable. My current theory is start the vocab training a few days to a week before the reading and stay that way. That should make it possible to build the vocab as you need it.

I can also do a text export that should be ok to pull into Mental Case if there is interest.

Where would you like to put it ?

Ken has offered the exchange which is fine but it's not really connected with the FB or EN pages, so let me know.

Thx

D

• Like 2

Thanks, Daniel! This is great. Maybe Russell could add a link to the Exchange on the Facebook page (or just do an upload there for everyone).

And I'd love a Mental Case-ready vocab set. Thanks so much for preparing it. (You have my email address.)

No word from Accordance if they can offer a dedicated space in the Accordance forums for Greek Psalms in a Year. So I'm taking that as a no, which is too bad. I have looked a bit into this same IP Board forum host, and what it would cost to start our own from scratch. I've gotten some contacts through my blog post about Greek Psalms in a Year of yet more folks who want to participate but aren't on Facebook. Maybe I'll email a few of you folks off-forum about it.

Let me know what you want to do. What's needed to access the decks?

Is there any other way to join this group? I'll go back to China right before the New Year, and I'm afraid that I will not be able to access Facebook easily because of the Great Fire Wall.

@Abram, I just sent you the Anki package and a Notes export as a TSV (tab separated values) file. The TSV should import into Mental Case but let me know if you have issues. You could also put it on the Evernote page. Is that resource page hooked up to FB at all ? I'm not sure how FB people who are not on the Accordance forums will find that page.

@Russell, This file is an Anki flashcard file so you need Anki to use it. Its a free app except on iOS where it's about $25. If you ping me an email I can send you the deck to attach to the Facebook page or it could go on the Evernote page that Abram is maintaining. The TSV should be importable into to other systems. I haven't tried to import it into Cram yet but that should be possible also.

Thx

D

The flashcards work great!

Thank you, Daniel! I see your emails. I'll check them out and report back as soon as I can. Thanks for making your vocab lists available.

Martin: ah, yes, the Great Firewall.

I'll start an off-forum email thread to follow up. Martin and Russell, do you mind sending me your email addresses through the Accordance Forums messaging system?

I haven't done any LXX since stupidly working through Daniel a few years ago - that was painful. But this should be fun. Thanks all.

And agree - something easily accessible - either through this forum or an external blog - whoever started this could be admin and copy and paste the Greek up for the day and we can discuss in comments.

Wow--yes, Psalms will be easier. :)

Doug: Russell is admining the Facebook group... have you seen it?

I'm going to give it a go. I'd appreciate the Mental Case compatible vocab. I've "liked" the Facebook page.

Hey Lorinda,

MC vocab properly setup with sub-cases (if that's the correct term) by week will take a little more code. I do not use MC but I can get a demo version for a couple of weeks for nicks and can try it out. If you PM me your email I could send you a text export from Anki to try to import. But as it stands it would only be one big chunk (1224 cards), though I'm pretty sure the export was in the order entered. I don't know enough MC to be able to guess how it would work.

I have a bunch of tooling already setup so I am doubt it's all that much work to add MC studyarchive generation. I'll look into it more seriously and see.

Thx

D

Welcome to the new dedicated forum for discussing the project!

• Like 5

Ditto!

Joel, am I right that this forum functions like the others, in that anyone can start a new thread?

Already this existing thread could lead to a few new ones now--one for the vocab files (Daniel), one for the Evernote resources (I'll get on that), etc.

Thanks, Joel.

Yea! :)

Wow--yes, Psalms will be easier. :)

Doug: Russell is admining the Facebook group... have you seen it?

my application is pending...

A guy I know in Sydney wrote an iOS app called Greek Reader - which sort of does what you're looking at.
It was a few years ago (not sure he's that keen on adapting it to OT) and I'm not sure the data he used is available for the LXX (Thayer's Greek Lexicon).

But this may be of interest to some of you:

Greek Reader

D

• 2 weeks later...

Alright! The latest Accordance update fixed my Reader! Thanks!

• Like 1