Questions about the diagramming modules

Bob Kuo

I'm thinking of picking up the diagramming module for the New Testament (http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=GNT-T.diagram) since they are on sale today and just announced that they now cover both James and 1 John which I am currently studying.

A few questions about the module:

1. Can I hover my mouse over the diagrams and get instant detail information like the syntax module? I'm pretty rusty on the diagramming and it would be nice to get instant detail information for what each line or symbol means. Also, cross-highlighting is just cool.
  2. Are ambiguous sentences diagrammed in multiple ways?

To anyone using these modules already - do you find them helpful?

Thanks,

Bob

I'm thinking of picking up the diagramming module for the New Testament (http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=GNT-T.diagram) since they are on sale today and just announced that they now cover both James and 1 John which I am currently studying.

A few questions about the module:

1. Can I hover my mouse over the diagrams and get instant detail information like the syntax module? I'm pretty rusty on the diagramming and it would be nice to get instant detail information for what each line or symbol means. Also, cross-highlighting is just cool.
  2. Are ambiguous sentences diagrammed in multiple ways?

To anyone using these modules already - do you find them helpful?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I agree with you about more "mouse-over" support and "help..like a detailed explanation of the symbols" for this module..I brought up some of these points in an earlier post (see "help with NT diagrams" March 14, 2012) and several people replied that helped me some...with that said...I do like these diagrams as they give me another tool to help me understand the grammer...I spent several hours yesterday analyzing Heb 6:4-6 using the diagram module...I am still working on understanding these diagrams....I could not find an on-line document that gives specific information about the various diagram symbols Accordance uses...but I did find a useful document called "grammatical terms and diagraming symbols" hhttp://www.german-latin-english.com/diagrams.htm for some reason this web address does not take you to the site...add "/diagrams.htm"

I can't answer number 2 because I don't have the "training" needed....but I am sure others can address both of these points better than I can..

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

Bob,

To answer your second question, No, the diagrams do not show structural ambiguity.

Bob,

Traditionally, diagramming a sentence (paragraph, etc.) has been a visual way of expressing the results of working through a passage and making exegetical decisions. When confronted by multiple choices (=ambiguity), the exegete is forced to decide which meaning the passage seeks to convey. That decision is reflected in the way s/he diagrams.

Using someone else's diagrams means seeing their exegetical choices.

For my part, I am pleased we have the diagrams we do, but wish we offered other diagrams as well, particularly where there are legitimate choices to be made about what a passage means [or which meaning(s) of several possible are intended].

Until we do [if we do], I suggest using the current diagrams along with a technical commentary or translator's handbook.The latter lets us know the range of possible translations and meanings—and where ambiguity exists.

Just one further note: don't be too quick to eliminate all but a single possibility. Ancient literature, just like modern writing, often intends puns and other plays on words. I can think of several biblical passages where multiple meanings are intended.

• 6 years later...

I own the "Diagram of the New Testament." How would I print out the sentence diagrams provided by it for the book of Romans?

The diagrams are color coded to the parts of speech and when you hover over a word you will get the details in the Instant Details panel.

I own the "Diagram of the New Testament." How would I print out the sentence diagrams provided by it for the book of Romans?

if you narrow the display in the belonged text to Romans.  [RANGE rom] and then Command-P.

BTW: There are two other Diagrams as PDF to purchase. The Leedy one and another. I have to check the emails if you are interested. 

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Fabian. One more question, please, with respect to "Diagram of the New Testament." How would I cut and paste a few diagramed sentences from this reference tool?

With [RANGE Rom 1:1; 3:4; Eph 3:1]. Same above but more specified. 

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

• 1 year later...

Can someone please tell me what this symbol means (in the pic below)?  

Thanks and God bless,

Eric

diagram.jpg

It's the symbol for an infinitive.

And now for a tip. If you ever run into a symbol you don't know, select some Greek text (anything) and go to Amplify-->Language-->Diagram. The Diagramming window which opens is designed to let you create your own diagrams, and if you hover over any of the symbols in the palette, a label will appear at the bottom left of the diagram window. Do that for the symbol you asked about, and you'll find it says, "Infinitive."

Hope this helps.

• Like 2