Importing & Using Texts from the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae?

Katzenjammer

Hello!

First post here! B)

Accordance seems like a fantastic product. I'm a student of Homeric/Epic Greek and I'd like to transition to Koine and reading the New Testament. I'm trying to learn all I can about the various competitors in this market. Accordance seems perfect for my needs - as it seems focused on language/text study, as well as mac/ipad focused.

My chief concern about Accordance is whether I can also use the software for reading deeply into Classical Greek texts, in addition to the New Testament.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that Accordance has the ability to import and make use of texts from the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae. Has anyone done this? How is it done? Can one set up the texts so that they are morphologically tagged? Can you make use of an imported LSJ that's keyed into the text? How well does all this work?

Also, is this one of the directions in which Accordance will be working - or is a side piece that won't receive much attention?

Finally, I have a question about the Ipad software: if I were to use the Ipad software pretty much exclusively, instead of the Mac OS X version, what functionalities would I give up?

Thanks! Looking forward to exploring!

Cheers,

~katz

Hello!

First post here! B)

Welcome to the forums and Accordance!

Accordance seems like a fantastic product. I'm a student of Homeric/Epic Greek and I'd like to transition to Koine and reading the New Testament. I'm trying to learn all I can about the various competitors in this market. Accordance seems perfect for my needs - as it seems focused on language/text study, as well as mac/ipad focused.

I think that you will find Accordance to be a perfect aid for accomplishing your goals. The Koine offerings grow each year, including Patristic and Hellenistic Works. I think you will also find that Accordance's search features and speed are unparalleled in the market. I highly recommend that you either watch some of the podcasts or solicit a nearby Accordance user to give you a demo. In addition, Accordance is often present at various conferences and universities.

My chief concern about Accordance is whether I can also use the software for reading deeply into Classical Greek texts, in addition to the New Testament.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that Accordance has the ability to import and make use of texts from the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae. Has anyone done this? How is it done? Can one set up the texts so that they are morphologically tagged? Can you make use of an imported LSJ that's keyed into the text? How well does all this work?

Also, is this one of the directions in which Accordance will be working - or is a side piece that won't receive much attention?

Yes, you can import texts. It's been sometime since I've done it, but it's possible. It might require a little work on your end, but you can create a rather large database of your own. Right now, morphological tagging isn't an option. While I don't have specifics on the precedence of features, I suspect the ability to create your own tools and texts will remain (and continue to be enhanced).

Depending on the nature of a resource, the Text/Tool developers will hyperlink a resource such as LSJ to existing Accordance Modules (e.g., a greek text). Obviously, if the text isn't an Accordance Module, then we cannot create a hyperlink (but as texts are added we can go back and update resources).

Finally, I have a question about the Ipad software: if I were to use the Ipad software pretty much exclusively, instead of the Mac OS X version, what functionalities would I give up?

Thanks! Looking forward to exploring!

Cheers,

~katz

A big functionality that isn't supported on the iOS (iPad or iPhone) would be the ability to import a text (which seemed to be a high priority for you). You would also loose some of the Search Commands and Search Features (although the iOS version supports nearly all of them).

Please note that the TLG import that we support is from the older CD-ROM that were on annual license from TLG. Now that they have moved to an online database, I do not think it is legal to use a copy of the CD-ROM even if you have access to it. We do NOT support importing a text from the website.

We would love to offer the Packard Humanities database, but that will be a massive project, and as you can see, we are rather busy at the moment.

Yes, you can import texts. It's been sometime since I've done it, but it's possible. It might require a little work on your end, but you can create a rather large database of your own. Right now, morphological tagging isn't an option. While I don't have specifics on the precedence of features, I suspect the ability to create your own tools and texts will remain (and continue to be enhanced).

Depending on the nature of a resource, the Text/Tool developers will hyperlink a resource such as LSJ to existing Accordance Modules (e.g., a greek text). Obviously, if the text isn't an Accordance Module, then we cannot create a hyperlink (but as texts are added we can go back and update resources).

Thanks so much James!

Please note that the TLG import that we support is from the older CD-ROM that were on annual license from TLG. Now that they have moved to an online database, I do not think it is legal to use a copy of the CD-ROM even if you have access to it. We do NOT support importing a text from the website.

We would love to offer the Packard Humanities database, but that will be a massive project, and as you can see, we are rather busy at the moment.

Thanks ever so much Helen. A Classical Greek offering would be pretty amazing - but yes, a massive project no doubt. If you were ever to embark on such a project, I'd suggest taking a look at Tuft's Perseus Project, if you haven't already.

I think I'll prolly start with a basic Greek package to learn my way around - I'd really like to try that Syntax module too, looks quite nifty!

Cheers,

~katz

Edited by Katzenjammer

A big functionality that isn't supported on the iOS (iPad or iPhone) would be the ability to import a text (which seemed to be a high priority for you). You would also loose some of the Search Commands and Search Features (although the iOS version supports nearly all of them).

Yes, I was thinking that I would do my importing and so on on my OS X machine; and I suppose I was assuming that I could sync my Ipad to this machine and then read/use it there to the extent the software allows. Maybe I'm assuming too much though! :) I think I should spend some time with the video tutorials.

Cheers, ~katz

• 3 years later...

Helen, two questions:

(1) Are there any other options for the Greek texts of the Ante-Nicene Fathers besides TLG? Or should I just pay the $140 annual fee for TLG and gain access to them that way?

(2) If the TLG texts can be converted into user modules on Accordance, would I be able to drop the annual renewal of TLG and then continue using the converted user modules? Or would I have to renew my license every year to keep using those texts that have been converted into Accordance user modules?

Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

Helen, two questions:

(1) Are there any other options for the Greek texts of the Ante-Nicene Fathers besides TLG? Or should I just pay the $140 annual fee for TLG and gain access to them that way?

(2) If the TLG texts can be converted into user modules on Accordance, would I be able to drop the annual renewal of TLG and then continue using the converted user modules? Or would I have to renew my license every year to keep using those texts that have been converted into Accordance user modules?

Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

My guess is that copying the texts from TLG and creating a user module is violating their copyright policy. This thread was referring to a particular feature we used to support which allowed the importing of the TLG texts from a licensed CD, which is no longer available.