Accordance and OmniOutliner

stevietheb

I have spent a great deal of time developing the perfect OmniOutliner templates for many tasks (whether this is exegesis, class notes, or whatever...). While I really like the User Notes feature in Accordance, it's not quite as useful to me as these templates I've made in OO.

Is there any conceivable way that I could create some kind of link or script or something so that I can click on some text in my user note (such as "See Outline of Passage") and have OmniOutliner launch that particular file?

I'm guessing this is not possible...it's just one of those "wouldn't it be cool if?" things....

I have spent a great deal of time developing the perfect OmniOutliner templates for many tasks (whether this is exegesis, class notes, or whatever...). While I really like the User Notes feature in Accordance, it's not quite as useful to me as these templates I've made in OO.

Is there any conceivable way that I could create some kind of link or script or something so that I can click on some text in my user note (such as "See Outline of Passage") and have OmniOutliner launch that particular file?

I'm guessing this is not possible...it's just one of those "wouldn't it be cool if?" things....

The Omni Group software OmniOutline Pro/OmniGraffle Pro are way cool. They are robust and Applescript aware. However, Accordance lags in the Applescript area. Your idea is exactly the kind of thing that Applescript is ideally suited to glue together. This posting quote may refelect the official OakTree perspective:

Helen says:

"We already support basic Applescript and also some special Applescript commands to facilitate using the Accordance widget. It is true that we could further develop Applescript support and we may indeed do so in the future, but this is an Applescript support issue, not a Carbon versus Cocoa issue."

This is interesting. My script editor dictionary cannot see the Applescript dictionary in Accordance. I take it you have not made these visible, perhaps because you have a subset only?

Will you be making these visible, or at least documented?

Thanks,

G. Peter David Posthumus

Accordance does not have a dictionary, as its Applescript support is somewhat limited. Rather than designing a full dictionary of terms, it is simple hard events that can be called. I believe the official stance right now is to not have it widely documented until greater support (no guarantees when that is :) ). You can find out the commands yourself with a little digging, though.

I hope OakTree energizes Accordance with more standard Applescript technology soon. It's plain that the best Accordance features may not be easy or ever possible to Applescript. Still, the Accordance widget is just a custom Applescript-widget for the last remaining MS Word users. How about a simple Applescript dictionary for the rest of us in Accordance 7 ? :unsure:

I'm not sure exactly how OmniOutliner works, but it seems to me like such a thing may be possible though the use of an Applescript in the Services menu. I'm no expert on services or OmniOutliner, but to those that are, would such a thing be possible? I imagine a script which would take the text selected, turn it into a similar filename, then attempt to open a file at a fixed address. Of course such a script seems to be a bit limited, but the idea is there. That all seems quite simple, its just the services and omni interaction I'm unfamiliar with.

Archived