Faulty Hits in Syntax Search

Anon

I am consistently getting faulty hits in my syntax searching. For example, if I run a simple search of אלהים as subject, I get highlighted results in which אלהים is not the subject. On running this search once, I received hits that included ארץ. Last night I was getting back a list of 116 hits. Tonight I am running the same exact search, and getting 34 hits. Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks!

I am consistently getting faulty hits in my syntax searching. For example, if I run a simple search of אלהים as subject, I get highlighted results in which אלהים is not the subject. On running this search once, I received hits that included ארץ. Last night I was getting back a list of 116 hits. Tonight I am running the same exact search, and getting 34 hits. Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks!

James,

Finally -- a nuts-and-bolts question about the Hebrew syntax searching! What a pleasure.

How did you perform the search? Screenshots are always helpful.

I did a quick search for subjects limited to אלהים and it all looked good. I skimmed the returns quickly and they are accurate.

post-29948-128530294128_thumb.png

Give me more to work with and we'll either set you on your happy way to successful syntax searching or I'll correct some tagging errors in Genesis. Either way, it's win-win.

James,

Finally -- a nuts-and-bolts question about the Hebrew syntax searching! What a pleasure.

How did you perform the search? Screenshots are always helpful.

I did a quick search for subjects limited to אלהים and it all looked good. I skimmed the returns quickly and they are accurate.

post-29948-128530294128_thumb.png

Give me more to work with and we'll either set you on your happy way to successful syntax searching or I'll correct some tagging errors in Genesis. Either way, it's win-win.

Thanks, Dr. Holmstedt. I was compiling my search argument via the search argument box. I was working on this late last night, and after I had posted my comment here I ran the search through the construct window, in which occurrence I was yielded the same results you have in your screen shot. Therefore, I immediately suspected the search argument syntax that was used. It seems that if I enter the search criteria from the drop down menu, something goes amuck. It begins once I join אלהים to [subject], thus the @ symbol is my culprit here. Now, if I key in the argument in by hand ([subject] @אלהים), then I get the same exact results as a construct result yields. Thus, I would think that the syntax tagging is okay here, but something is going on in inserting symbols from the menu options.

James,

I've tried entering the search parameters for this every way I could imagine: typing them in, using the menus, and combinations of both. I always get 134 hits. Are you able to post a screenshot showing the result count other than this? I'd like to see if there's something different.

Archived