Notation in User Tools

David Martyn

I have been having trouble with notations in creating a User Tool.

When a 'scripture link' is applied to the following text 1 Peter 4:12-14;5:6-11 it ends up with two links rather than a single link.

Is here a way around this problem or is this a bug?

This is not a bug and should not be a problem. You can amplify to both references by clicking in one, dragging the mouse and releasing in the other.

I hadn't thought of that, but then it is a very unituitive way of doing it. I would have thought that a single click of the mouse should select the full reference as is usual with hypertext.

You are correct this is not a bug and sorry for posting this comment here. However, I consider it a problem. Bu thak you for letting me know the way around the problem.

David,

There seems to be a philosophical difference here regarding what constitutes a "full reference." You are thinking of 1 Peter 4:12-14;5:6-11 as a single reference, but Accordance regards it as two distinct verse references: one to 1Peter 4:12-14, followed by a second reference to 1Peter 5:6-11.

While I can certainly see why in the context of a user note or user tool you might want to make a single set of cross-references into one big hypertext link, consider how cumbersome that becomes with a set of cross-references like this:

Gen. 1:26-27, 32:30; Ex. 24:10, 33:20; Num. 12:8; Deut. 4:12; 1Chr. 5:1; Neh. 9:6; Job 9:11, 23:8; Psa. 45:2, 89:27; Prov. 8:29-31; Is. 40:18, 46:5; Jer. 32:17; Ezek. 1:26-28; Zech. 13:7; Matt. 16:16; Luke 11:31; John 1:1-2, 14-18, 3:16, 5:37, 14:9, 15:24; Rom. 1:4, 9:5; 2Cor. 4:4-6; Phil. 2:6; Col. 1:13-17, 2:9; 1Tim. 1:17, 3:16, 6:15-16; Heb. 1:3-6, 11:27; 1John 4:12; Rev. 3:14, 19:16

If we formatted such a set of cross-references in a full-fledged Accordance tool as a single link, you would quickly grow frustrated, because to look at, say, Romans 1:4, you would have to click the link and then scroll down all the verses listed before Romans 1:4. That's why we treat references separated by commas and semicolons as separate references--and separate links. And since we treat references in Accordance tools that way, User tools follow the same pattern.

That said, we still wanted to make it easy for the user to view a long list of references like the one above without having to click on each link in turn. So we came up with the solution Helen described of dragging to select multiple links in order to hypertext to all of them at once. I prefer the word "innovative" to "unintuitive" to describe that little feature, but it's certainly not something you would naturally think to try. That's where this forum comes in, so please don't apologize for posting your comment here. That's what "here" is, well, here for. :)

Hope this helps.

David,

There seems to be a philosophical difference here regarding what constitutes a "full reference." You are thinking of 1 Peter 4:12-14;5:6-11 as a single reference, but Accordance regards it as two distinct verse references: one to 1Peter 4:12-14, followed by a second reference to 1Peter 5:6-11.

I was developing a user tool for the Revised Common Lectionary which would have split verses as a single reading. This task is also made difficult because the Lectionary also uses partial verses.

Thank you for clarifying the reason - that was very helpful.

This is not a bug and should not be a problem. You can amplify to both references by clicking in one, dragging the mouse and releasing in the other.

Just in case someone else ever has a problem with this -- it is very important to notice that the command is 'releasing in the other' -- it doesn't work if you drag to the end of the reference.

Archived