English Translations of the Syriac Peshitta

Matt Quintana

Of the primary textual traditions of the Old and New Testament available as original language modules in Accordance, the Syriac Peshitta is the only one that lacks a corresponding English translation. (The NT Peshitta does come with an English translation, but it is from 1851 and is thus quite outdated.) The addition of such a resource would be extremely helpful, and would add great value to Accordance for scholars. The Antioch Bible / Surath Kthob series by Gorgias Press is the the most recent and complete translation project, and since 2012, has been publishing individual volumes covering the entire Peshitta (see https://www.gorgiaspress.com/antiochbible and https://www.gorgiaspress.com/surath-kthob). The project is now nearly completion (only Ezra-Nehemiah, 4 Ezra, and 3–4 Maccabees remain). I wonder what the chances are that Accordance could license this work from Gorgias Press? The editions also have the Syriac text on facing pages, but since Accordance already has text modules, perhaps it would be possible to simply acquire the rights to develop a module of the translations? 

• Like 4

I'm on limited Wi-Fi at the moment. Remind me about this in early July.

+1

I've heard this publisher generally doesn't license to Bible software platforms, but I will dig into it further when I'm back "on the grid" and get a definitive answer.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:04 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I'm on limited Wi-Fi at the moment. Remind me about this in early July.

I appreciate your efforts to represent Accordance on these forums while lacking any internet access @Dr. Nathan Parker, and since it appears that only @Sean Nelson and @Silas Marrs are able to fill in for you while you're off the grid, and so that @Matt Quintana won't have to wait till next month for a definitive reply, let me affirm your response: Gorgias Press has refused to license the Antioch Bible / Surath Kthob series to Accordance, in spite of several meetings with them at SBL. They've also pulled their licenses from Logos. 

If you want their translation in Accordance, contacting them directly is probably the only thing that might help move this forward. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

I appreciate your efforts to represent Accordance on these forums while lacking any internet access @Dr. Nathan Parker, and since it appears that only @Sean Nelson and @Silas Marrs are able to fill in for you while you're off the grid, and so that @Matt Quintana won't have to wait till next month for a definitive reply, let me affirm your response: Gorgias Press has refused to license the Antioch Bible / Surath Kthob series to Accordance, in spite of several meetings with them at SBL. They've also pulled their licenses from Logos. 

If you want their translation in Accordance, contacting them directly is probably the only thing that might help move this forward. 

I wonder why that is @Mark Allison?  I wonder what their concern is that would cause them to even pull their licenses from Logos?

17 hours ago, Misulejoha said:

I wonder why that is @Mark Allison?  I wonder what their concern is that would cause them to even pull their licenses from Logos?

It usually comes down to the mistaken belief that they can make more money with print. Accordance and Logos generally keep something like 50% of the sale price. But when you consider how much printing, advertising, and distribution costs are these days, that's still a very good profit for the publisher. 

Sometimes in these situations a publisher will wait several years to produce digital versions of their work, hoping they'll be able to saturation the print market first. Not sure if this is the situation with Gorgias or not. 

• Thanks 1

I second @Mark Allison's recommendation to please reach out to the publisher if you want to see this in Accordance. While no guarantees, sometimes publishers listen when enough customers push for something.

And I'm trying to check in here at least a few times a week to let everyone know I'm still breathing in-between my Wi-Fi desert. :-) 

Although being without Wi-Fi has had some advantages. Almost read through all of Wellum's Systematic!

• Like 2

@Dr. Nathan Parker No internet AND no cell service. That must be rough!!

12 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Yeah, welcome to the other 99.9% of human history.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

I call that a very delightful vacation. ;)

• Like 1

I have both ATT and VZ SIMs in my phone. I can occasionally get secent service but it’s spotty. Not enough for hotspot to be usuable.

Now I wish my Morse Code was better. 

Back to civilization. Here's what I was having to use for Wi-Fi access. Now I'm back in the city. Still not on fiber yet, but at least a decent cable connection.

IMG_0318.png

Which during my time with limited Wi-Fi, I was able to spend a ton of time in Scripture reading and prayer. Spent quality time with Charles Stanley's Life Principles Bible.

Update: We are discussing the possibility of licensing a handful of titles from Georgias, so we'll look further into this request.

• 1 month later...

I'll just do this anyway:

+1

@Philip Mohr Definitely do this! Every little bit of interest helps! Thanks for chiming in!

Well, +1 from my end as well.