Bears in the Night

josephbradford

Does anyone know this children's book, The Berenstain Bears: Bears in the Night?

In bed.

Out of bed.

To the window.

At the window.

Out the window.

Down the tree.

Over the wall. Etc.

I was thinking something like this would be really good to teach Greek prepositions. I've got lots of students who are great at digital illustration. I've got a nice stockpile of digital illustration as well. And I'm fantastic at InDesign. It could even be animated (better than the youtube video).

Any thoughts? I keep thinking there has to be a clever way of illustrating prepositions in connection with all the cases.

I'd be happy to collaborate if anyone has ideas.

• Like 2

Someone could probably record a voiceover in Greek and mute the English sound track and play their voiceover in a class. Might be fun.

4 hours ago, josephbradford said:

Does anyone know this children's book, The Berenstain Bears: Bears in the Night?

I didn't before, but I do now.

4 hours ago, josephbradford said:

I was thinking something like this would be really good to teach Greek prepositions.

This is a great idea!

I guess it might look something like this:

Ἄρκτοι ἐν τῇ νυκτί (Bears at night)

1. ἐν κλίνῃ 
  2. ἐκ τῆς κλίνης 
  3. πρὸς τὸ παράθυρον 
  4. ἐκ τοῦ παραθύρου 
  5. κάτω τοῦ δένδρου 
  6. ὑπὲρ τοῦ τείχους 
  7. ὑπὸ τὴν γέφυραν 
  8. περὶ τὴν λίμνην 
  9. μεταξύ τῶν λίθων 
  10. διὰ τοῦ δάσους 
  11. ἀνὰ τὸν φοβερὸν λόφον 
  12. κάτω τοῦ φοβεροῦ λόφου 
  13. διὰ τοῦ δάσους 
  14. μεταξύ τῶν λίθων 
  15. περὶ τὴν λίμνην 
  16. ὑπὸ τὴν γέφυραν 
  17. ὑπὲρ τοῦ τείχους 
  18. ἀνὰ τὸ δένδρον 
  19. ἐν τῷ παραθύρῳ 
  20. πάλιν ἐν κλίνῃ 

1 hour ago, mgvh said:

lol I have that also. Way back, cir 1993, I bought Teach Yourself New Testament Greek. I was looking over it the other day and got to thinking about Bears in the Night. 

@Brian K. Mitchell

that’s fantastic

what if we could tie this to the book of acts somehow, using Paul and the most frequently used nouns?

maybe cities he visited. Ways he travelled. Etc

To Rome 

By ship

over the sea. Etc. 

@mgvhuses a great resource. But I can’t help but think, into the lion should have been preceded by “into the coliseum.” Lol too soon? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

I didn't before, but I do now.

This is a great idea!

I guess it might look something like this:

Ἄρκτοι ἐν τῇ νυκτί (Bears at night)

1. ἐν κλίνῃ 
  2. ἐκ τῆς κλίνης 
  3. πρὸς τὸ παράθυρον 
  4. ἐκ τοῦ παραθύρου 
  5. κάτω τοῦ δένδρου 
  6. ὑπὲρ τοῦ τείχους 
  7. ὑπὸ τὴν γέφυραν 
  8. περὶ τὴν λίμνην 
  9. μεταξύ τῶν λίθων 
  10. διὰ τοῦ δάσους 
  11. ἀνὰ τὸν φοβερὸν λόφον 
  12. κάτω τοῦ φοβεροῦ λόφου 
  13. διὰ τοῦ δάσους 
  14. μεταξύ τῶν λίθων 
  15. περὶ τὴν λίμνην 
  16. ὑπὸ τὴν γέφυραν 
  17. ὑπὲρ τοῦ τείχους 
  18. ἀνὰ τὸ δένδρον 
  19. ἐν τῷ παραθύρῳ 
  20. πάλιν ἐν κλίνῃ 

We need ἐπὶ and εἰς. I think you could insert between 19 and 20:

ἐπὶ τὴν κλίνην

εἰς τὴν κλίνην

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, josephbradford said:

what if we could tie this to the book of acts somehow, using Paul and the most frequently used nouns?

maybe cities he visited. Ways he travelled. Etc

To Rome 

By ship

over the sea. Etc. 

This sounds like a great idea!

We could even use Accordance to find some good Biblical examples, too!

Ok, So I've just about got this one completed. I need to know what part of speech I should consider a section entitled "Practice." I'm thinking it would be a participle, nominative singular?

@Brian K. Mitchell OK, I'm going to have some questions for you. Why did you choose "ἐν κλίνῃ"? We have a good example in Luke 11:7 "εἰς τὴν κοίτην". @mgvh chose "εἰς τὴν κλίνην". To which I would ask, why κλίνῃ over κοίτη? 

Would there be a reason for choosing one over the other when we have a great Biblical example for study purposes? 

ΛΟΥΚΑΝ 11:7

κἀκεῖνος ἔσωθεν ἀποκριθεὶς εἴπῃ· μή μοι κόπους πάρεχε· ἤδη ἡ θύρα κέκλεισται καὶ τὰ παιδία μου μετ’ ἐμοῦ εἰς τὴν κοίτην εἰσίν· οὐ δύναμαι ἀναστὰς δοῦναί σοι.

5 hours ago, josephbradford said:

Why did you choose "ἐν κλίνῃ"? We have a good example in Luke 11:7 "εἰς τὴν κοίτην". @mgvh chose "εἰς τὴν κλίνην".

I was brainstorming and wanted to create a quick example. That was the first thing that came to mind, but I like your suggestion.

However, a form of  κλίνῃ is attested to in the LXX:

Τωβίτ 8:4 ὡς δὲ συνεκλείσθησαν ἀμφότεροι, ἀνέστη Τωβείας ἀπὸ τῆς κλίνης καὶ εἶπεν Ἀνάστηθι, ἀδελφή, καὶ προσευξώμεθα ἵνα ἡμᾶς ἐλεήσῃ ὁ κύριος.

Τωβίτ 14:11 καὶ νῦν, παιδία, ἴδετε τί ἐλεημοσύνη ποιεῖ καὶ δικαιοσύνη ῥύεται. καὶ ταῦτα αὐτοῦ λέγοντος ἐξέλιπεν αὐτοῦ ἡ ψυχὴ ἐπὶ τῆς κλίνης· ἦν δὲ ἐτῶν ἑκατὸν πεντήκοντα ὀκτώ· καὶ ἔθαψεν αὐτὸν ἐνδόξως.

Screenshot2024-05-27at7_30_44.thumb.png.7dd91844d239fd87e7e38d5b050e5dfe.png

@Brian K. Mitchell I saw something similar elsewhere. I like the simplicity of κλίνῃ much better not only that but κοίτην also carries the connotation of coitus (I wonder why? LOL). However, having such a strong NT reference, even though it's a bit more complicated may be the sound choice.

I need the formula for searching using <followed by>.

I want to search for a preposition followed by any random noun of a particular case.

For instance, εἰς <followed by> (Any noun) Dative Case.    

I think i've got it. Would you say this is going to give me what I want? 

εἰς <followed by> <WITHIN 2 Words> [NOUN accusative]

23 hours ago, josephbradford said:

I saw something similar elsewhere. I like the simplicity of κλίνῃ much better .... However, having such a strong NT reference, even though it's a bit more complicated may be the sound choice.

I think both words would be okay as neither one would be out of place in a classical Greek textbook.

And, If the textbook was mainly focused on Attic Greek both words could also be covered in the section on the koine dialect.