Discourse analysis/arcing

Luke Bert

In searching the forums, I found several threads asking for a discourse analysis/arcing feature for Accordance. I think accordance is well positioned to fill an important gap in Bible software. 

The need:
1. I know of one downloadable program that allows is designed to facilitate DA. However, the program is almost 15 years old and can be difficult to install and get running especially for those with less computer knowledge. 
2. Biblearc.com now requires a paid membership. While I am certain that they believe they are offering a valuable service, many cannot afford another subscription just a tool. 

Accords offers similar features but not DA itself. 
1. The diagram features of accordance allows for the manipulation of the text and the ability to put in brackets. However, the process is time consuming. We need a program by which we can click on a sentence, hit enter to create a new clause, and lock in a bracket.  This is what Biblearc does really well! 
2. The new Phrasing feature of accordance is great! it allows us to easily create phrases. If we could take those phrases and add brackets then we could do DA in accordance. This should be a dedicated feature with a quick access button that allows us to highlight a text and create a file that can be manipulated for DA. 

Thanks for this! Do you know of any sources for the discourse analysis/arcing that we could look into?

5 hours ago, Luke Bert said:

In searching the forums, I found several threads asking for a discourse analysis/arcing feature for Accordance. I think accordance is well positioned to fill an important gap in Bible software. 

The need:
1. I know of one downloadable program that allows is designed to facilitate DA. However, the program is almost 15 years old and can be difficult to install and get running especially for those with less computer knowledge. 
2. Biblearc.com now requires a paid membership. While I am certain that they believe they are offering a valuable service, many cannot afford another subscription just a tool. 

Accords offers similar features but not DA itself. 
1. The diagram features of accordance allows for the manipulation of the text and the ability to put in brackets. However, the process is time consuming. We need a program by which we can click on a sentence, hit enter to create a new clause, and lock in a bracket.  This is what Biblearc does really well! 
2. The new Phrasing feature of accordance is great! it allows us to easily create phrases. If we could take those phrases and add brackets then we could do DA in accordance. This should be a dedicated feature with a quick access button that allows us to highlight a text and create a file that can be manipulated for DA. 

Discourse analysis is way more than charting a text. But a lot of this charting can be done in the diagraming feature, you just have to adapt some of the symbols. 

Discours analysis is, of course, a very broad term. I am using this term specifically in reference to the method developed by Scholars such as G.K. Beale  (et al) in "An Interpretive Lexicon of New Testament Greek." I know this method is taught at several seminaries such as Reformed Theological Seminary by Ben Gladd. This version of discourse analysis is similar to what John Piper calls "arcing" 

There is a java program called DA tool that I have used https://sourceforge.net/projects/datool/

I am also including a DA of Gal 2.6-10 that I did. Yes, I was teaching in french when I did this, but the principle should be evident. I was using https://app.biblearc.com/

I believe the best course of action would be for accordance to reach out to Dr. G.K. Beale, Dr. Ben Gladd, or Dr. Tyler Miliken. 

Gal 2.6-10.pdf

Posted (edited)

You cannot go wrong reaching out to G.K. Beale. HIs "A New Testament Biblical Theology" is abundant evidence of the effectiveness of his exegetical and biblical theological methodology.

Edited by JohnABarnett

@Benjamin Gladd reads this forums, so that'll be east to reach out to. I could have licensing also reach out to Beale. He knows him well.

11 hours ago, Luke Bert said:

Discours analysis is, of course, a very broad term. I am using this term specifically in reference to the method developed by Scholars such as G.K. Beale  (et al) in "An Interpretive Lexicon of New Testament Greek." I know this method is taught at several seminaries such as Reformed Theological Seminary by Ben Gladd. This version of discourse analysis is similar to what John Piper calls "arcing" 

There is a java program called DA tool that I have used https://sourceforge.net/projects/datool/

I am also including a DA of Gal 2.6-10 that I did. Yes, I was teaching in french when I did this, but the principle should be evident. I was using https://app.biblearc.com/

I believe the best course of action would be for accordance to reach out to Dr. G.K. Beale, Dr. Ben Gladd, or Dr. Tyler Miliken. 

Gal 2.6-10.pdf 639.76 kB · 8 downloads

The diagramming feature of accordance can do this with no issue whatsoever.

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 11.07.43.png

• Like 1

I've tried to do DA with Accordance on several occasions, but it's too complex. The lines don't quite line up, the symbols are difficult to work with, etc. 

Of course, I would prefer to use Accordance for DA, but their developers would have to get behind it.

• Like 1

Feel free to elaborate some time on what DA features you'd like to see in Accordance.