doing research on a transliteration

Kristin

I am trying to do research of a transliterated word in a dictionary. The word in question is mā,  so I first tried researching of unicode, and that said there were NO results, which is obviously ridiculous since I copied and pasted it from a resource. 

So I then tried English, and that produced "maœ."

So how do I find all the resources which write "mā" ?

could you provide a little more info? - what resources do you wish to search? which resource contained the transliterated word? I have noticed that different resources often use different transliteration schemes. Also I notice that many of the resources have a transliteration search option, but they do not seem to find transliterated words, but simply English words untransliterated (look for the transliterated word "mah, or ma" (Hebrew מה) and the results are often any English words containing the letters MA. )

40 minutes ago, mbcvida said:

could you provide a little more info? - what resources do you wish to search?

Hi @mbcvida,

I was in HALOT and looking at someone's name. HALOT said part of his name was mā, and I wanted to know more about that. So I selected it, right click, and clicked "Research" to find all resources that had it.

Research then claimed that no resource used it, but obviously that's not true as at least HALOT did. I can attach a screenshot if that helps.

image.png.cd1dfaf2823ffbda71e969fce2811723.png

Hi Kristin, I am almost 100% certain you can't do this using "research".

You can (as I am sure you know) search individual resources (like HALOT) for a transliteration using the field drop down in the resource's search bar.

This is because (as I understand it) the various tools have so many differing fields available that it just wasn't possible at the time to have it all rolled into the research drop down. How many different fields would be necessary there!! (and many useless in numerous resources).

So, you can create a custom workspace with the transliteration item selected in each of the resources you want to search, and then link them all using the LINK command.

Let me know if you'd like help doing this.

I think part of the issue with the search is that the transliterated term in HALOT you are searching for is not formatted as a transliteration.  The asterisk preceding the "ma" is HALOT's designation of a hypothetical term (see list of abbreviations in HALOT). They are trying to show the components of the name Abimael and have listed a hypothetical ma to account for the mem in the word. HALOT''s transliterated terms seem to be italicized and this one is not.  

2 hours ago, Ken Simpson said:

Let me know if you'd like help doing this.

Hi Ken, if I understand correctly, I don't have the time to do something like this. What I am trying to accomplish is to find that transliteration in EVERY English dictionary, Hebrew dictionary, Greek dictionary, and every commentary which I own (hence doing "Research"). From what you said it sound like a lot of work.

Actually, the more I think about it, while there really needs to be a way for individuals to do research on transliterations (since resources use them),  perhaps @mbcvida answered it. My question is why the first and third parts are in Hebrew, but the middle part is not. I had wanted to do research to try to understand why he didn't right מָ. That was all I was trying to research.

1 hour ago, mbcvida said:

I think part of the issue with the search is that the transliterated term in HALOT you are searching for is not formatted as a transliteration.  The asterisk preceding the "ma" is HALOT's designation of a hypothetical term (see list of abbreviations in HALOT). They are trying to show the components of the name Abimael and have listed a hypothetical ma to account for the mem in the word. HALOT''s transliterated terms seem to be italicized and this one is not.  

Hi @mbcvida

If I am understanding correctly, it is transliterated as opposed to מָ since HALOT is saying they aren't sure? So the first and third part they feel sure enough to write in Hebrew, but the מָ is unclear so they transliterate it? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean? Concerning italics, I think it is. If you compare the mā to the "n.m" above it, it appears to be in italics I think.

Posted (edited)

I am mistaken, you are correct. The term is italicized and is found as a transliteration in HALOT, and most of the other Hebrew lexicons. But the research feature does not have a tag for transliteration. I looked through each of my Hebrew lexicons individually to find it.

Edited by mbcvida
added the word 'not'
  • Like 1