Footnotes in LSB are obscuring search results

Andrew Patterson

I was thinking of John 1:14 and wanted to see if there were any verses with the same phrase —

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." (LSB; emph added.)

— so I searched the LSB for full of grace (no quotes; words mode; no range selected). The only result is Acts 6:8. John 1:14 did not appear, but definitely should have.

The exact way the verse displays is as follows:

And athe Word bbecame flesh, and 1cdwelt among us, and dwe beheld His glory, glory as of the 2only begotten from the Father, full of egrace and ftruth. (John 1:14 LSB)

I tested a few other phrases in the LSB where one or more terms were preceded by a footnote. Some appeared, and some didn't. The issue persisted on iOS as well. The issue did not occur for the NASB, which has the same footnotes.

Definitely seems related to the footnote anchor. I did a Words search in the LSB (version 2.7) for full of * [RANGE jn.1], and, as shown in the screenshot below, the * wildcard captured the footnote anchor "e" rather than the word "grace":

john-1-14-search.png.b022d955785d2ad34bac369bf9734e57.png

I've seen this behavior before in User Bibles that use <sup> tags to format footnote anchors. For example, I have a User Bible with the string "understood<sup>a</sup> it" as part of John 1:5. When I search for understood it [RANGE jn.1], it returns no hits. But when I search for understood * [RANGE jn.1], it returns "understood" followed by the superscript "a".

I wonder if the LSB module was originally built as a User Bible and, when converted to an official Accordance text module, the footnote anchors weren't completely moved out of the main text layer and into the note/superscript/whatever layer (or whatever Accordance calls these layers internally), thus causing the search to get tripped up.

• Like 1

What Accordance and operating system versions? I can test this.

Accordance 14.0.9

MacOS 14.4.1 (23E224)

Mac mini (2023, M2)

I'm pretty sure it's just a mis-programmed text.

The problem is, if there are such errors in the text, I don't know what percentage of my search results are accurate. The NASB/LSB has a ton of footnotes (not quite NET-level, but still, a lot).

I'm seeing this as well. Thanks for the info! I'll work to get this reported.

• Like 1

Also adding it to my list since I may be able to fix this when I start Bible development shortly.

• Thanks 1