Speech Function Not Working in OS 14.4.1

Duane Abler

I often use the Speech function to check the pronunciation of Greek and Hebrew words. This is no longer working and Billy (Accordance Tech Support) told me it's due to Apple disconnecting the Speech feature in Ventura. I'm wondering if we're any closer to getting this resolved?  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Duane Abler said:

Apple disconnecting the Speech feature in Ventura.

Hi @Duane Abler,

Could you clarify what you mean by this? This sounds like it is something more than just how Mac interacts with Accordance.

This is a known issue since the Speech feature is a macOS feature. I haven't heard an ETA on this yet. As we have something to report, I'll update here.

10 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

This is a known issue since the Speech feature is a macOS feature. I haven't heard an ETA on this yet. As we have something to report, I'll update here.

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure if this is an isolated problem or not. I just tried the speech feature on my Mac (iMac 2020 running 14.4.1 Sonoma, and Accordance 14.0.9) and it worked perfectly. I highlight the text I want pronounced and press COMMAND-9 and it begins speaking. On the Greek pronunciation I have to slow it down dramatically in the preferences. (Of course I am from the south where we speak much slower... :) ).

44 minutes ago, Tony Lawrence said:

I'm not sure if this is an isolated problem or not. I just tried the speech feature on my Mac (iMac 2020 running 14.4.1 Sonoma, and Accordance 14.0.9) and it worked perfectly. I highlight the text I want pronounced and press COMMAND-9 and it begins speaking. On the Greek pronunciation I have to slow it down dramatically in the preferences. (Of course I am from the south where we speak much slower... :) ).

Are you on Intel or Apple Silicon? This sounds promising, I'll test it further.

As indicated, it was on my iMac 2020 which is INTEL. I just tried it on my 15" M2 MacBook Air. It (M2 MBA) works fine on the NKJV but using the NA28 it is not consistent.

The speech pronunciation in the Mounce Greek Dictionary works well on both.  

I'm getting similar results. NKJV works great on both Macs. NA28 hasn't loaded for any samples I tried (although we have Greek Audio Bible to make up for it).