Prepositional phrase search

tjebme

I would like to search for all prepositional phrases in the NT that include κύριος in any of its forms. What approach would you suggest? Thanks.

Here's the blunt tool approach. (I will give the better approach in a moment.)
So one way is to use the search line:

*@ [PREPOSITION] <AND> <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 7 Words> (κύριος_2 <NOT> [NOUN (vocative, nominative)] )

What that is doing is saying:

• any preposition
  • followed by with # of words
  • then a form of κυριος that is not in the vocative or nominative (since those would never be objects of the preposition)

206 results with a lot of false hits, but it's a start

The better way is to use the Greek Construct search. (I think this is correct! I am trying to eliminate as many false hits as possible, but I may have inadvertently blocked some true hits. Some of the results do depend on how the syntax structure was defined, and that complicates matters.)

Try this:

image.png.6db7c4985dd8cbc8adb347f9326dc7a0.png

Do note what you need to do when you first add the Phrase. If we only want the actual object of the preposition, you need to specify contiguous, depth of 1, and not allowing hits with sub-clauses. (All of this is trying to eliminate instances like Matt 23.39: ἐν ὀνόματι κυρίου  where κυριος is not the object of the preposition.)

The depth of the preposition can be 6 or more (play around with that).

The depth of the lexeme is 1 to again try to just get objects of the preposition.

I get 79 hits, but there are still some false hits. (Acts 9.27. Eph 6.5. Why?)

Someone else may be able to refine this further, but that's a start.

Appreciate the input!

On 4/23/2024 at 1:02 AM, mgvh said:

The better way is to use the Greek Construct search. (I think this is correct! I am trying to eliminate as many false hits as possible, but I may have inadvertently blocked some true hits. Some of the results do depend on how the syntax structure was defined, and that complicates matters.)

Try this:

image.png.6db7c4985dd8cbc8adb347f9326dc7a0.png

Do note what you need to do when you first add the Phrase. If we only want the actual object of the preposition, you need to specify contiguous, depth of 1, and not allowing hits with sub-clauses. (All of this is trying to eliminate instances like Matt 23.39: ἐν ὀνόματι κυρίου  where κυριος is not the object of the preposition.)

The depth of the preposition can be 6 or more (play around with that).

The depth of the lexeme is 1 to again try to just get objects of the preposition.

I get 79 hits, but there are still some false hits. (Acts 9.27. Eph 6.5. Why?)

Someone else may be able to refine this further, but that's a start.

In order to do this particular search, you would need an appropriate syntax module (purchased and) installed.