Verb Occurrences

josephbradford

Hi All,

I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for. If I missed it please forgive the duplicate question and route me to the thread. Thanks in advance.

I need to find the 50 most common verbs used in the NT. I need the list in occurrence order, 500xs, 400xs, 300xs etc i.e. λεγω. I don't need to know the instances of each conjugation e.g. λεγω λεγει 

I would also like to be able to expand this search. For instance

λυω

λυομαι

etc.

I hope my request made sense. Also, I'm not interested this morning in learning the entire searching system of Accordance. I will get around to it one day when I'm not attempting to complete a project. Thanks for understanding.

I moved this to Original Languages since you'll probably get a quicker answer over here.

like this?

εἰμί = 2462.pdf

εἰµί = 2462

λέγω = 2353

ἔχω = 708

γίνοµαι = 669

ἔρχοµαι = 632

ποιέω = 568

ράω = 454

ἀκούω = 428

δίδωµι = 415

οδα = 318

λαλέω = 296

λαµβάνω = 258

πιστεύω = 241

ἀποκρίνοµαι = 231

γινώσκω = 222

ἐξέρχοµαι = 218

δύναµαι = 210

θέλω = 208

εἰσέρχοµαι = 194

γράφω = 191

ερίσκω = 176

ἐσθίω = 158

στηµι = 154

πορεύοµαι = 153

καλέω = 148

ἐγείρω = 144

ἀγαπάω = 143

ἀφίηµι = 143

ζάω = 140

ἀποστέλλω = 132

βλέπω = 132

βάλλω = 122

παραδίδωµι = 119

µένω = 118

ἀπέρχοµαι = 117

ζητέω = 117

κρίνω = 114

ἀποθνσκω = 111

µέλλω = 109

παρακαλέω = 109

ἀνίστηµι = 108

σζω = 106

αἴρω = 101

δε = 101

τίθηµι = 100

γεννάω = 97

διδάσκω = 97

περιπατέω = 95

φοβέω = 95

κάθηµαι = 91

Edited by mbcvida
add

Open a search pane with your Greek text open as the search text. 

[count 100-10000] 

then open an analysis pane, word analysis, and the sels t “count down” form the set analysis crisply drop down (cmd/ctrl t). 

you’ll then need to select the top 50. 

i am not at my computer so going by memory. Let me know if it doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mbcvida said:

like this?

εἰμί = 2462.pdf 20.89 kB · 8 downloads

εἰµί = 2462

λέγω = 2353

ἔχω = 708

γίνοµαι = 669

ἔρχοµαι = 632

ποιέω = 568

YES! That's it. What was the search command? And thanks.

17 hours ago, Ken Simpson said:

Open a search pane with your Greek text open as the search text. 

[count 100-10000] 

then open an analysis pane, word analysis, and the sels t “count down” form the set analysis crisply drop down (cmd/ctrl t). 

you’ll then need to select the top 50. 

i am not at my computer so going by memory. Let me know if it doesn’t make sense. 

It makes sense. How would I search for the verbs? If I do a tag search for V I'm going to get every conjugation. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

[verb] @ [COUNT 25-10000]

• Like 1

@josephbradford

Another way to do this is to type [verb] into the search box (including the square brackets),

click the pie chart on the right of the search box ->  Analysis

Click "Sort:" in the window that pops up -> Count down

This gives all the verbs sorted by number of occurrences in the text.

image.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@josephbradford

Another way to do this is to type [verb] into the search box (including the square brackets),

click the pie chart on the right of the search box ->  Analysis

Click "Sort:" in the window that pops up -> Count down

Thanks!! This appears to be how Vida did it earlier. Quick question. It appears to be so but I want to confirm, the analysis gives me the lexical form correct? Could you foresee any anomalies in this approach? 

34 minutes ago, josephbradford said:

Thanks!! This appears to be how Vida did it earlier. Quick question. It appears to be so but I want to confirm, the analysis gives me the lexical form correct? Could you foresee any anomalies in this approach? 

You're welcome. The difference between this and Vida's approach is the extra @[count ...] constraint in hers.

Yes, you should get lexical forms with this approach. The only issue I've found with these searches is that sometimes I get extraneous crases in the results that don't actually turn up in the text. In my case, though, I list lexemes from a given book, sorted by the number of occurrences of each lexeme in the whole New Testament, not just the number of times they appear in that particular book. Maybe the bug in my list comes up only with the extra complication, but it's rare enough that I can just skip over them.

Edited by Lawrence

32 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

The only issue I've found with these searches is that sometimes I get extraneous crases in the results that don't actually turn up in the text.

Is this what you're saying? I'm getting nouns with this search.

[verb] [count 1]

φρεναπατάω (φρήν, ἀπάτη) to deceive = 1

Φύγελος Phygellus = 1

φυλακίζω (φυλάσσω) to imprison = 1

χειραγωγός (χείρ, ἄγω) one who leads by the hand = 1

χόρτασμα (χόρτος) feed; food = 1

χρηστεύομαι (χράομαι) to be good, kind = 1

ψευδοδιδάσκαλος (ψεύδομαι, διδάσκω) false teacher = 1

ᾠόν (ᾠόν) (n) egg = 1

put an @ between [verb] and [count 1]

• Like 1

Yes, you are finding hapaxes AND verbs with the search [verb] [count 1] where the hapax immediately follows the verb

to attach one criterion to another add the @ symbol  as vida suggested.

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, josephbradford said:

[verb] [count 1]

1 hour ago, Ken Simpson said:

Yes, you are finding hapaxes AND verbs with the search [verb] [count 1]

Just wanted to note something because it has tripped me up on more than one occasion: [verb] [count 1] is not equivalent to [verb] <AND> [count 1]. The former returns verses that contain any two-word sequence consisting of a verb followed immediately by a hapax (241 hits [two-word sequences] across 228 verses). The latter returns verses that contain at least one verb and at least one hapax anywhere in the verse (6,377 hits [words] across 1,390 verses).

And just for my future reference :), the @ operator joins the criteria from multiple word selectors into a single selector, and thus [verb] @ [count 1] returns verses that contain any word that is both a verb and a hapax (610 hits [words] across 568 verses). (See this page in the help system for the difference between @ and <AND>.)

(All the above results assume one is searching GNT28-T for Words with a range of [All text] and a scope of Verse.)

That's correct Steven, which is why I stipulate "immediately follows". However, your explanation is clearer.

And as an addit, you can concatenate @ operators. X@y@Z etc

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Sorry about that, @Ken Simpson. I must have missed the edit while I was typing. If I would have seen it, my OCD would have been assuaged, and I would have just kept driving by. :)

Thanks for confirming that the @ operator supports concatenation. I didn't see that documented in the help system when I first looked, but, upon closer inspection, I found this gem: "Up to six expressions can be linked together with @." Sure enough, attempting a search with a compound expression containing more than five @ operators results in the error message "The '@' character cannot be used here, since there are too many '@' characters already used in this expression." That's good to know!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, josephbradford said:

[verb] [count 1]

φρεναπατάω (φρήν, ἀπάτη) to deceive = 1

Φύγελος Phygellus = 1

φυλακίζω (φυλάσσω) to imprison = 1

χειραγωγός (χείρ, ἄγω) one who leads by the hand = 1

χόρτασμα (χόρτος) feed; food = 1

χρηστεύομαι (χράομαι) to be good, kind = 1

ψευδοδιδάσκαλος (ψεύδομαι, διδάσκω) false teacher = 1

ᾠόν (ᾠόν) (n) egg = 1

No, this was the problem I had: 

6 hours ago, Steven S said:

(See this page in the help system for the difference between @ and <AND>.)

This was incredibly helpful. Thanks. It clears up a lot. This whole discussion was more than I could have hoped for. Thanks to all.

One final question. (Maybe) Something sparked my interest and I'd like to know how to phrase a search.

Let's say I want to learn all the vocab in Ephesians. So I want to start learning the vocab in order of appearance (most used to least).

How many searches would this entail? One? Could I say, "find the count of occurrence of each word in the range of Eph?" 

How would this search yield results? What if I wanted to separate each word according to part of speech? (i.e. how many times πιστος is used as nom, gen, etc.) I know this would yield several pages of info but that's ok.

I could see where this might be useful if I wanted to compare the vocab of, let's say, Hebrews and Luke. (There's an interesting book on accordance where the author posits Luke as the logical author of Hebrews. A good place to start, I think, would be common vocabulary then style. I'm assuming the author did this. I'll have to get around to reading it one day. Possibly after I get through all of the study materials on Accordance searches. Hahahaha

select your search range to Ephesians

type in the search box * (asterisk stands for any word)

make certain your search box is set to words rather than verse

enter - all words in ephesians are highlighted

pick from the pie symbol "analysis"

sort by count down

this sorts all words in Ephesians by number

to further divide the words, choose the gear icon in your analysis window

customize display

choose part of speech (or tense, mood, case... and put it above the lex in the customize display window

this will sort the words by part of speech, (noun, verb, articles...)

to isolate a particular word according to inflection, use a new search window, range=Ephesians, put in the particular word, search, pick analysis from the pie icon, then customize display, and choose your inflection (case, gender, tense, mood...)

this will allow you to search particular word with different elements of its inflection

• 1 month later...

First of all, thanks to everyone who helped out with this last time. I have another question related to this topic.

Below is a search [VERB imperfect middle indicative] with the first few results. I've reread the above responses (hoping I didn't overlook what I'm seeking). I need to drill down and see all 19 instances of δύναμαι in the imperfect middle indicative. Is there a way to sort only those instances in the search pane? Or do I have to do a new search for δύναμαι? How would I phrase that request? 

Thanks again!   

Total number of verses = 285

(total number of verses displayed = 285)

[VERB imperfect middle indicative] (299 total words)

Number of different forms = 138:

(Triple-click a form to see its occurrences)

δύναμαι to be able = 19

πορεύομαι to go = 13

φοβέω (φόβος) to fear; frighten, terrify = 12

ἔρχομαι to come, go = 11

κάθημαι (κατά, ἧμαι) to sit = 11

18 minutes ago, josephbradford said:

First of all, thanks to everyone who helped out with this last time. I have another question related to this topic.

Below is a search [VERB imperfect middle indicative] with the first few results. I've reread the above responses (hoping I didn't overlook what I'm seeking). I need to drill down and see all 19 instances of δύναμαι in the imperfect middle indicative. Is there a way to sort only those instances in the search pane? Or do I have to do a new search for δύναμαι? How would I phrase that request? 

Thanks again!   

Total number of verses = 285

(total number of verses displayed = 285)

[VERB imperfect middle indicative] (299 total words)

δύναμαι to be able = 19

πορεύομαι to go = 13

φοβέω (φόβος) to fear; frighten, terrify = 12

ἔρχομαι to come, go = 11

κάθημαι (κατά, ἧμαι) to sit = 11

You should be able to triple-click on δύναμαι and see those 19 results.  However, for me there seems to be a BUG as triple-clicking on δύναμαι gives 210 results instead of 19.

So, if triple-click doesn't work for you try this instead.  [VERB imperfect middle indicative] @δύναμαι

Hahahahahahahaha

So sad. I figured it out. 

2 minutes ago, josephbradford said:

Hahahahahahahaha

So sad. I figured it out. 

Not sad! Learning!

If you add the inflected form to the analysis, you can click on the inflected form to just find those occurrences of the word.

Ok, so when I triple click, it's giving me every instance of δύναμαι. Not just the 19.

@accord I saw this after I posted. Thanks for the response though. It was appreciated very much.

And your solution gives me the 19! again, fantastic.

12 minutes ago, accord said:

So, if triple-click doesn't work for you try this instead.  [VERB imperfect middle indicative] @δύναμαι