Searching for לֶחֶם

Ingo

How do I get any Hebrew dictionary (I have several) to display info on לֶחֶם?

They mostly go to "Bethlehem"; TLOT shows me "to fight" with לחם, but no לֶחֶם.

Not searching for Bethlehem; all I want is a morsel of bread (or food, or ?) . . . 

Workflow: Gen 3:19 BHW-W4 - control ^ click לֶחֶם - Look Up > Dictionary . . . 

Search Box then has לֶחֶם in it, as it should. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for any tips! (and yes, I feel pretty stupid 😬)

Edited by Ingo

HALOT shows three hits. Use the down arrow to jump to the next hit.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 135035.png

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Mike!

From a programming standpoint, shouldn't a search for the specific Lexeme לֶחֶם go to, well, לֶחֶם? (Bold option not reacting)

But thank you very much!

Edited by Ingo

When I went to Gen. 3:19 and right-clicked on לֶחֶם (in the BHS Hebrew (ETCBC) module) and Look Up then Dictionary, I was taken to HALOT (which is assigned somewhere for that module, but I don't remember offhand where) and it took me directly to HALOT inflected לֶחֶם, with the two other hits available to jump to. The screenshot I posted was from manually inserting לחם into the search options.

My Look Up of לֶחֶם in Gen 3:19 takes me to לחם; the third word is לֶחֶם. It should be the first hit I would think. But the "Hit List" is very helpful - thanks!

I think the easiest thing to do here is to triple click the word in the Hebrew text. That should open your preferred lexicon (as set in amplify settings - I would also suggest ticking the include reference when amplifying checkbox).

Give that a try and let us know how you go 🙂

Thanks, Ken. That checkbox was ticked, but switching to HALOT as default lexicon makes a triple-click go to לֶחֶם - great! Kohlenberger/Mounce as default still goes to בֵּית לֶחֶם. Interesting.

Thanks Ingo. I'll have a little play with the K-M - it may be a limitation on that dictionary.

Thanks Ingo. I'll have a little play with the K-M - it may be a limitation on that dictionary.

So, a few minutes later, having had a look at K-M, what I THINK is happening is that all the lexicons actually ignore vowel points and so if you didn't have the include reference checkbox enabled, you would get more hits in HALOT as well. And since there is no citation information in the definitions, (unlike HALOT) then having that checkbox ticked will make no difference.

So there's something I learned today!

Edited by Ken Simpson

Not all details belong to the 😈!  Thanks, Ken!