Brian K. Mitchell

__JOHN 13:4

Ἐγείρεται ἐκ τοῦ δείπνου καὶ τίθησιν τὰ ἱμάτια, καὶ λαβὼν λέντιον διέζωσεν ἑαυτόν.

The following is take from: DEVOTIONS ON GREEK NT Devotions on the Greek New Testament (Devotions on GNT) J. Scott Duvall and Verlyn D. Verbrugge, editors Copyright © 2012 by J. Scott Duvall Published by Zondervan Grand Rapids, Michigan 49530, U.S.A. All rights reserved. Used by permission. Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 1.3    :

Let’s translate this verse literally (note the words in italics): “And he rises from the supper and laid down [τίθημι] the garments, and taking up [λαμβάνω] a towel, he wrapped it around himself.” You don’t have to be an expert in John’s gospel to hear the “laid down—take up” chorus singing in your ears. These words in Greek are exactly the same as the words Jesus said a couple of chapters earlier: “The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down [τίθημι] my life—only to take it up [λαμβάνω] again. No one removes it from me, but I lay it down [τίθημι] of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down [τίθημι] and authority to take it up [λαμβάνω] again. This command I received from my Father” (John 10:17–18).

• Dr. Nathan Parker pinned this topic
  • Dr. Nathan Parker unpinned this topic