For Terminal users which shell do you use most often?

Brian K. Mitchell

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like csh, but that's just because I learned the script syntax when messing around with it at uni 'way back when'.

These days, I mostly just use whatever the system defaults to - probably zsh or bash.

• Thanks 1

Bash since I had a weather script that required it.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lawrence said:

These days, I mostly just use whatever the system defaults to - probably zsh or bash.

Before MacOS Catalina the Terminal's default was bash, but since MacOS Cataline the default has been Zsh. However, bash and a few other shell are still in included in MacOS Terminal and you can switch to them if like without having to download anything.

• Like 1

The Bourne again shell of course (former Linux user)😛

Surely this forum is filled with PowerShell users /ducks

6 hours ago, David Purton said:

Surely this forum is filled with PowerShell users /ducks

@David Purton Oh, I just found out it is possible to download PowerShell  for MacOS' Terminal:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-on-macos?view=powershell-7.4

Yep.

Well, I do enjoy looking at sea shells on the beach! ;) I probably have written more things for csh even though zsh seems to be the default shell more often these days. I think the order of my encounters has been sh, csh (with my most scripting experience in the UNIX days), bash (with LINUX), and recently zsh on multiple platforms. I haven't done shell scripts for quite a few years now since I mostly stay in the GUI.  Old skill die quickly if not used. :(

—Joseph 

• Thanks 1