Accordance Equivalent Features for Wordsearch Users Who Crossgraded to Accordance

Dr. Nathan Parker

Some Accordance users were also former Wordsearch users who took advantage of our Wordsearch Crossgrade for Accordance. While most of these users are “settled in” to Accordance, I decided to dig up an old document I wrote a while back just in case there were a few features they’ve overlooked.

I've never used BibleWorks, so I can't produce one for BibleWorks users. If anyone who used BibleWorks wants to draft one, feel free to.

Here are the equivalent features between Wordsearch and Accordance and where to find them in Accordance:

Open Book-Library

Documents-User Tools or Papers

User Books-User Books

Desktops-Workspaces

Desktop Templates-Workspaces

Bible Notes-User Notes

Info Window-Instant Details (with some differences)

Search-Search each individual module in its own module window. Search multiple modules using Research.

Strong’s Search-Using the search field in a Bible using the KEY Command (more easily accessible from right-click menu in Bibles with Strong’s numbers using Search For>Key Number)

Settings-Settings (macOS Ventura or later) or Preferences (macOS Monterey or earlier or Windows); on the Accordance menu (Mac) or the Utilities menu (Windows)

Backup/Restore-Books/Modules are automatically “backed up” using Easy Install (Accordance menu on a Mac, Utilities menu on a Windows PC). You can also backup your documents and settings using a local backup or through Syncing (see Syncing)

Syncing-Uses Dropbox or Wi-Fi syncing at the moment, enhanced syncing coming in 14.1

Parallel Bible-”Add Parallel” button in any Bible text to add multiple parallel Bible panes

Verse Explorer-Info Pane

Lexicon Explorer-Word Study

NoteStack-Stacks

My Library List-Library

Manage Collections-My Groups

Unlock Purchased Books-Easy Install on the Accordance menu (Mac) or Utilities menu (Windows)

Check for Updates-Check for App Updates on the Accordance menu (Mac) or Utilities menu (Windows)

Check for Book Updates-Check for Content Updates on the Accordance menu (Mac) or Utilities menu (Windows)

About-On the Accordance menu (Mac) or Help menu (Windows)

Arrange Windows-On the Window>Arrange Menu

ZipScript-Get Verses (On the Window Menu)

Auto Dock Books by Category-Accordance basically does this automatically

Web Browser-Accordance also offers a built-in web browser

Greek/Hebrew Keyboards-Under Window>Characters

Bibliographer-Copy As>Bibliography from the right-click menu

Menu Bar-Accordance also offers a menu bar

Study tab-Any workspace in Accordance with books/modules (it’s no longer marked “study”, the books/modules are simply “there”)

Library tab and Resources pane-All combined in the Library

Account Menu-Easy Install is where you download/install your books. You can also access your account from the Accordance Website

Set Preferred Bible and Commentary>Using “Amplify” and “Search Tabs” in Settings or Preferences

You can also pin your preferred Bible and Commentary and any other tools to the main toolbar (just drag and drop them to the toolbar) to have one-click access to them like you have in Wordsearch (Mac only)

Print and Print Preview>File>Print

Here are the book toolbar equivalents:

Select Another Book-Drop down menu button to the left of the Search icon

Table of Contents-Same

Reference Box-Same, although you can also perform word searches in it

Highlighting-Under Windows>Highlights

Strong’s Numbers-Under the Interlinear button (to the right of the double A button)

Words of Christ in Red-Under the Action menu (gear icon), Set Text Display, Advanced

Linking-Tab Ties or use the LINK Search Command

Reference Picker next to Reference Box

Favorite Books-You can move books around in the library, and you can add bookmarks to any books using My Bookmarks

Here are features that are not 100% equivalents:

Lessonmaker: Papers is the closest feature at the moment

Search Spelling Helper (Quick Entry drop down menus in search is similar but not identical)

Smart Search: Plurals and Verb Forms (you can use search commands to perform these searches, but Accordance doesn’t have those exact buttons in the interface)

Current Verse Highlighted in Bible

WordNik and Wolfram Alpha under Word Definition (these can be accessed using the built-in web browser)

Cross Reference Explorer-Info Pane and using Research by Scripture are the two best ways to do this

Window Bar

Instant Verse Study

Morphological Explorer-This can partially be accomplished using Search Analytics

Sermon Illustration Manager-User Tools or Papers would work for this

ZipScript-Get Verses works but doesn’t run when Accordance is not running

Verse Lists-You can save lists of verses as a Workspace, but we don’t have a separate “verse list” file format in the Library

Topic Explorer-Quickest way to do this is use Research

History

Manage Library-You can re-arrange or delete books using the Library

Home tab-Accordance doesn’t use a “home page” but opens right to your favorite Bible or workspace

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of the Wordsearch users who figured I would always have the affordable crossgrade offer. Sadly, the offer ended before I could take advantage of it.

However, I appreciate this list! I've been using Accordance for quite a while, and unfortunately my skills are still "Newby" territory.

This will help, thanks.

Stay tuned for another chance (not quite as low as before, but still at a great buy)! It won't be an April Fool's joke!