AirPlay Accordance to an Apple TV or AirPlay-Compatible TV

Dr. Nathan Parker

We've had customers asking about AirPlaying Accordance for iOS to an Apple TV or Airplay-Compatible TV. I believe it'll work well. Has anyone else tried this, and do you have any pointers on it?

I believe you could also do it with a Mac, as well as with a Windows PC using AirSquirrels AirParrot or Reflector. I think AirParrot.

I have AirPlayed Accordance from my iPad before, but I AirPlay Accordance from my Mac all the time in my textual classes. The biggest challenge with the Mac is that the number of texts can be difficult to read, requiring a larger font, which makes it seem less natural on the Mac. The iPad does not have this problem because of the limits of iOS, but the font still needs to be increased for displaying in a classroom. 

You have to remain mindful of the different setups for your screens. I use my MacBook Pro with a monitor in the office, with the monitor in the center and the MacBook Pro to the right. But I usually want to mirror screens in class. So you need to have a good working knowledge of that part of System Settings.

I put AppleTVs in all the classrooms so that I could avoid getting tangled up in an HDMI cord. The connection has been good overall. But it can glitch like anything else.

• Like 1

Great info. Thanks!

I have never had any trouble mirroring my laptop to a large screen with AppleTV. For the benefit of all, please use a BLACK background with WHITE text (this is not the time to be creative). In the auditorium I normally present in, my workspace is set to 48-point type. Here is a screenshot from an earlier version of Accordance…

OnTheScreen.thumb.png.eb3e8e36f1df4747ed6aa257d95268eb.png

• Like 1

Nice!

Here is an example to illustrate the challenge of fonts in a classroom. I use this workspace for my Greek Exegesis class, which allows me to compare texts and demonstrate the different approaches to a textual apparatus. Even on a large screen, this much text (especially in a foreign language) can be a challenge if the fonts are not large, but my purpose limits how much I can enlarge the font of each text.CleanShot2024-03-11at16_27_02.thumb.png.26771f96f93b2cb0b9753958a6b70f20.png

I airplay my iPad all the time in class. It works well and the iOS version is well suited in that it does not have a lot of distractions. I have also airplayed my laptop and will use the Slide Show mode to minimize distractions from it. However, the most effective way I have found to use it is to create slides with one verse at a time on a Keynote slide. This can be done quickly using the Services to insert verses. Then I present from my laptop and use my ipad as a "remote" and with it you can draw on the slides. This makes it possible to write parallel passages in the margins, to circle key words for discussion. I wish something like that was available directly in Accordance.

• Like 1

Great feedback. Thanks!