Apple Watch Question

Dr. Nathan Parker

Does the Apple Watch still have a dock or easy way to pin apps that can be launched quickly? And does anyone know how fast apps launch on the SE second gen?

I may want to setup an Apple Watch for a senior citizen using the Rescu app. I’d need a fast way for them to launch it, faster than the iPhone. 

I can't speak to how fast apps launch on the 2nd gen SE, but I've owned a series 4 and now a series 8. On both models apps launch nearly instantly. There is a dock which can be accessed via rotating the digital crown. After placing an app in the dock, you can pin it so that it is always at the top.

• Like 2

Great. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I still use a series 4. Upgraded a few years ago from the series 0/original Apple Watch. From 4 on, I've found everything is instant and the watch is actually useable. The series 0 was so slow that it was basically useless for me. I tried the 4 as my last shot to see if this was a thing I'd get into. the 4 is fantastic. Everything after is even better. From what I've seen the 2gen SE is basically a spec-bumped series 4, so I wouldn't expect any issues whatsoever. 

9 hours ago, A. Smith said:

I still use a series 4. Upgraded a few years ago from the series 0/original Apple Watch. From 4 on, I've found everything is instant and the watch is actually useable. The series 0 was so slow that it was basically useless for me. I tried the 4 as my last shot to see if this was a thing I'd get into. the 4 is fantastic. Everything after is even better. From what I've seen the 2gen SE is basically a spec-bumped series 4, so I wouldn't expect any issues whatsoever. 

Bought two SEs recently, one for me and mother.

Mother loves hers, especially Snoopy watch face. I love that it tracks her heart rate, the Rescu app is also on her wrist, and there's fall detection if she needs it.

For me, tracking my heart rate is also great, plus the stand reminders are a big help when I'm sitting too long. Also have a weather and radar widget on my wrist so I can glance at a weather update and move on.

Also love that I'm using my iPhone a lot less. I can glance at notifications on my wrist, then decide if I need to act on it now or wait until later instead of grabbing my phone every time and "rabbit trailing" with it.

Crazy question: Is there anything you could think of that would benefit you by having an Accordance app on Apple Watch? Disclaimer: We have not even remotely discussed this in any official capacity. Just as a means of a "thinking out loud brainstorm", it'd be interesting to hear some thoughts. I can't come up with any off the top of my head, but others may have different feedback.

7 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Bought two SEs recently, one for me and mother.

Mother loves hers, especially Snoopy watch face. I love that it tracks her heart rate, the Rescu app is also on her wrist, and there's fall detection if she needs it.

For me, tracking my heart rate is also great, plus the stand reminders are a big help when I'm sitting too long. Also have a weather and radar widget on my wrist so I can glance at a weather update and move on.

Also love that I'm using my iPhone a lot less. I can glance at notifications on my wrist, then decide if I need to act on it now or wait until later instead of grabbing my phone every time and "rabbit trailing" with it.

Crazy question: Is there anything you could think of that would benefit you by having an Accordance app on Apple Watch? Disclaimer: We have not even remotely discussed this in any official capacity. Just as a means of a "thinking out loud brainstorm", it'd be interesting to hear some thoughts. I can't come up with any off the top of my head, but others may have different feedback.

Not really. For me the watch isn't something to interact with for more than a moment or two. It's most useful as a way to tend to my phone without pulling my phone out. Notifications, etc. I scroll through my omnifocus lists, unlock my MacBook, use it as a remote, that kind of thing. But I can't imagine searching for or even reading scripture or anything else for more than a moment on the watch. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a larger watch face. One mistake is I got the smaller sized series 4 to save money; I've regretted it since day 1. 

17 hours ago, A. Smith said:

Not really. For me the watch isn't something to interact with for more than a moment or two. It's most useful as a way to tend to my phone without pulling my phone out. Notifications, etc. I scroll through my omnifocus lists, unlock my MacBook, use it as a remote, that kind of thing. But I can't imagine searching for or even reading scripture or anything else for more than a moment on the watch. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a larger watch face. One mistake is I got the smaller sized series 4 to save money; I've regretted it since day 1. 

True. That's about what I'm doing with my watch as well. 

This time around I went with the smaller screen, my last two were larger screens.

I'm glad I downsized this time. My wrists are small (for a guy) so when I had the larger model, I kept bumping it.