Detailed maps

WhiteWings

This year I'll visit Israel and among other things I want to walk around ancinet Jericho 7 times.... 🙂
The problem is finding it. During Jesus's time there where two Jericho's.
A new one built by Herod Herod the Great.

The old one a few miles north. Tiny and mostly ruins.

On Google Maps you'll find a touristic archelogical site "Ancient Jericho"
I doubt it's who Jericho, and I don't even know it's the old or new Jericho.

I'm looking for maps that really show the outlines of the famous OT Jericho.
Not just a dot on a map but also an estimate were the walls where.

To be even more picky, not just on tiny map. But a bit of detail so I can find it using modern landmarks/cities.

Does Accordance has something like that?

• Like 1

When i visited Israel many moons ago, i found this tour guide to be very useful, Blue Guide Israel and the Palestinian Territories (Blue Guides) and there is quite a section on jericho, though i didnt get there. I will let others comment on possible resources within accordance. But there are also people on the forum who run visits who will be able to provide other links. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Israel-Palestinian-Territories-Guides

Edited by ukfraser

I was going to go to Israel this year, but it's been postponed due to the war. If you get to go, let me know how things are over there.

I have been to Jericho (Tell es-Sultan) many times. You can walk around the ruins of the ancient city without any problem — it is very easy to see. I would strongly caution you from straying outside the ancient site. When I was there last year, the "mood" of the town was not as friendly as in prior years — and I would expect it to be worse this year due to the war in Gaza.

If you have the time, I would STRONGLY suggest you take the cable car that goes from the ancient city to the traditional site of the Mount of Temptation. The view from the mount is fantastic! You can see the Dead Sea and Mount Nebo from there. Sadly, most tour groups don't take the time to use the cable car (which is why I avoid group tours of the Bible lands).

As David mentioned, you are looking for Tell es-Sultan. That is the mound of Old Testament Jericho. At the foot of the mound on the east side is Elisha's Spring.

http://www.lasapienzatojericho.it/index.php

Here is a detailed map of the city with an inset map of Tell es-Sultan.

https://www.jericho-city.ps/files/server/jericho-map.pdf

Here is a basic tourism brochure for Jericho

https://web.archive.org/web/20191126195846/http://1remva49c8bs3jvwod2dqqqs.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Jericho_City_Guide_New_Logo.pdf

A.D.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@David Padfield Tell es-Sultan, I knew about before posting here. I just wasn't sure it was the Jericho I was looking for. The city is so old and has seen so many wars that I can imagine it has been leveled several times. But if that's the site that's great.

Warning about not wandering around taken.

I assume that while stil inside the fenced area I can encircle the city?

Also thanks for the cable car tip. We are a small group with our private guide; so I think that's possible.

I was planning on renting a car, but border crossings aren't allowed. Because Israel is one big border.... 🙂

Edited by WhiteWings

@A.D. Riddle Thanks for the maps. I never expected Jericho to be an ancient NYC size city, but I must admit I expected it to be a bit lager 🙂

10 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I was going to go to Israel this year, but it's been postponed due to the war. If you get to go, let me know how things are over there.

I know not all denominations believe such things, and that's absolutely fine, but let's say I'm send on that trip by a Higher Power, so I expect I've sufficient body guards 🙂

I would never chose to visit Israel because, I don't really like hot climates. Been in Orlando Fl, in spring (around Good Friday) and remember only two things, heat and no-see-ums 🙂

Maybe three things. The kind cleaning lady that gave me the golden tip. "Avon Skin So Soft" repels mosquitos so much better than Deed and other chemicals.

14 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

I know not all denominations believe such things, and that's absolutely fine, but let's say I'm send on that trip by a Higher Power, so I expect I've sufficient body guards 🙂

Indeed! Whenever I get to go, I'll also get to take a physical guard with me as well (since I'll be taking $$$ weather equipment to install), but I'd take all the spiritual protection as well. Keep me posted over DM how it goes.