Devotionals and Leap Years

Dr. Nathan Parker

This is probably obvious to the majority of Accordance users, but I'm posting a fallacy I committed in my Bible study with Accordance today just in case anyone else encounters it.

I opened Butler's Daily Bible Reading today to read today's devotional in Accordance, and I was presented with a blank screen.

Since it was on my Mac I was also beta testing macOS Sonoma 14.4 on, I had a sinking feeling hit me for a moment.

Then I looked over at my wall calendar, and I realized today's date: February 29th, a Leap Year.

Butler's Daily Bible Reading doesn't have an entry for February 29 (Leap Years), and while some devotionals do, not all do.

So if you opened a daily devotional today and encountered a blank screen, it's not an issue with Accordance, and it's not your computer. The devotional author didn't add a devotional for February 29th.

Now if I can remember this next time a Leap Year occurs.

2024-02-29_16-49-42.png

Note to Self: If I ever administer PhD Comprehensive Exams to students, I need to include this question on the exam. :-)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

For the Butler's Daily Bible, I am not sure it's a bug or what. When the Butler's Daily Bible is set as Daily Reading, it went well. But whenever I switch module to the Butler's Daily Bible modules in Daily Reading mode, the search button changed from "title" to "Reference" automatically and it showed as the image attached. It needs to change the "Reference" to "Title" to show the contents normally.

Screen Shot 2024-04-09 at 8.42.55 PM.png

Mine's not doing this. I'd try Accordance Safe Mode, and if that doesn't work, try emailing Tech Support (include your Accordance and operating system versions when doing it):