accessing bible preface

Kristin

This is sort of an unusual question, so hopefully I can phrase it ok.

When I have a commentary, if I open the book in Accordance, it opens with the preface and says random things before the actual content starts. Likewise, if I open a physical book there is the preface, and this is true for my physical bibles also. My physical NASB, for example, has a few pages before Gen 1:1, and one of the pages talks of the translation theory.

However, if I open a bible in Accordance, it begins immediately with Gen 1:1. While there is a way to get to copyright info, there does not appear to be a way to get to the stuff written in the Bibles before Gen 1:1. Is that correct? Or is there a way to do that?

@Kristin

If it's copyright specifically you're after, 'cogwheel -> About this text' will give that to you. It's also available via the Help menu.

But if you're after front matter more generally (getting the ISBN, for example, for Zotero to auto-populate its bibliographic information), I'm not sure how to get at it. I thought I found it at one point (maybe through the Info pane that comes up by default when a resource is opened), but I can't find it now.

Edited by Lawrence

Hi @Kristin. For many texts, the preface and other front matter is located in the corresponding notes module. For example, in the NASB case, if you open the "NASB (1995) with Strong's Notes" module and manually scroll all the way to the top, you should find the information you've come to expect in your printed version.

• Like 1

Hi @Lawrence and @Steven S,

Thank you both for your responses, but I still can't quite get to what I am looking for. I am attempting to basically find the preface, that has the translational theory, etc. I know this section also has the copyright, but while I can get to the copyright in Accordance, I can't get to the stuff apart from that.

I am attaching a photo of a physical NASB 1995. Yet if I open my NASB 1995 in Accordance, I can't get this info. If I just open it in Accordance, the farthest up I can go is Gen 1:1. This doesn't seem to change if I open it as a new tab, or if I open it from the library.

Is there a way to access the info in this photo?

Bildschirmfoto2024-02-25um08_34_44.png.c8420066516c44f5fc7fdbfe0c0c7b89.png

Hi again @Steven S and @Lawrence,

I finally figured it out. Steven, it finally occurred to me that you literally meant the "notes" and not just the NASB with notes. So I opened the NASB and found a random footnote, and then from the footnote I scrolled up and was able to get to the preface. Thank you. :)

• Like 2

Yep, the corresponding Notes modules has most of the front/end matter for texts, except for possibly a few older texts we may need to update.

They're not in the Text modules themselves by design.

On 2/26/2024 at 4:56 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Yep, the corresponding Notes modules has most of the front/end matter for texts, except for possibly a few older texts we may need to update.

They're not in the Text modules themselves by design.

Where do we find the ISBN?

• Like 1

Not 100% Sure. I thought some were on product pages on the website, but I may be completely mistaken.

Just so everyone understands this, the ISBN number of an Accordance electronic text is COMPLETELY UNIQUE and has NOTHING to do with the printed version of that text.

That's just how ISBN numbers are defined and work.

Edited by Lester P. Bagley
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lester P. Bagley said:

Just so everyone understands this, the ISBN number of an Accordance electronic text is COMPLETELY UNIQUE and has NOTHING to do with the printed version of that text.

Hi @Lester P. Bagley. That's what I thought, as well, as I was about to type out a reply this morning. I figured that's why the ISBN is missing in the NASB (1995) front matter I referenced above, assuming Accordance simply didn't bother to register one for the "Accordance electronic version" of their text. However, then I randomly checked another title in Accordance (James White's The King James Only Controversy) and see that it actually lists the paperback ISBN in the front matter. That made me hesitate and cancel my reply.

So, suffice it to say, I'm a bit confused about ISBNs in Accordance. Has Accordance ever registered ISBNs for their electronic versions? Does L do this for their titles?

20 minutes ago, Steven S said:

Hi @Lester P. Bagley. That's what I thought, as well, as I was about to type out a reply this morning. I figured that's why the ISBN is missing in the NASB (1995) front matter I referenced above, assuming Accordance simply didn't bother to register one for the "Accordance electronic version" of their text. However, then I randomly checked another title in Accordance (James White's The King James Only Controversy) and see that it actually lists the paperback ISBN in the front matter. That made me hesitate and cancel my reply.

So, suffice it to say, I'm a bit confused about ISBNs in Accordance. Has Accordance ever registered ISBNs for their electronic versions? Does L do this for their titles?

ISBN spells out some specific types of electronic versions of text (Kindle, etc), but doesn't seem to specifically refer to electronic versions like Accordance (my wife is a librarian so this is how she explained it to me). @Dr. Nathan Parker would have to dig up the details on this but apparently Accordance has to apply for the ISBN number (if it's even applicable). The reproduction of the paperback ISBN definitely appears to be an error since those electrons are not "paperbacks." 😁

• Like 1

If I need to look into anything, let me know.

6 hours ago, Lester P. Bagley said:

That's just how ISBN numbers are defined and work.

True. But it would be nice to support utilities like Zotero for academic referencing.

The ISBN doesn't appear in the typeset bibliography, but Zotero can use it to populate fields such as author and title automatically.

It would be handy to have it even if it's in the 'about' box for the volume with a disclaimer that it's the ISBN for a printed volume and not the ISBN for the Accordance format.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll concede that typos are a big justification for identifying Accordance volumes as being different from printed volumes (but print ISBNs are still desirable, as mentioned in an earlier comment).

For example, Bail's Hexaemeron (church fathers) has a funny typo in Homily 1, paragraph 4.

Hint: he wasn't talking specifically about research regarding root vegetables. :)

Printed copy: vain sciences

Accordance: yam sciences

image.png.b3d610e710f6dad89043c991675dee58.png

Edited by Lawrence
  • Haha 3

The standards for ISBN are set and publishers must follow them. One of the "absolutes" of those standards is "A print book ISBN cannot be reused for the eBook." There's a lot more involved with "electronic" publications, but in all cases certain conventions are required (some publishers "bundle" and/or control their own ISBNs, etc).

Basically, it is NOT our call to make and reusing a "print" ISBN for "convenience" in another edition totally defeats the purpose and meaning of the system.

33 minutes ago, Lester P. Bagley said:

The standards for ISBN are set and publishers must follow them. One of the "absolutes" of those standards is "A print book ISBN cannot be reused for the eBook." There's a lot more involved with "electronic" publications, but in all cases certain conventions are required (some publishers "bundle" and/or control their own ISBNs, etc).

Basically, it is NOT our call to make and reusing a "print" ISBN for "convenience" in another edition totally defeats the purpose and meaning of the system.

Yes, agreed.

My earlier comment regarding Zotero was in a context where the ISBN doesn't appear in the bibliography, but the referencing software, at least, ought to identify the specific edition. We could add "Accordance" manually in a custom field, but a proper ISBN would be better.

It would be good for Accordance to work with the publishers to get appropriate ISBNs for the Accordance versions if it wants to be a serious contender in academic circles.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Yes, agreed.

My earlier comment regarding Zotero was in a context where the ISBN doesn't appear in the bibliography, but the referencing software, at least, ought to identify the specific edition. We could add "Accordance" manually in a custom field, but a proper ISBN would be better.

It would be good for Accordance to work with the publishers to get appropriate ISBNs for the Accordance versions if it wants to be a serious contender in academic circles.

Absolutely! The ISBN standard needs to be set as a company policy (if it's not already) and defined to users. If they are NOT using ISBNs (like Apple Books), then that defined policy must be made plain for academic use (and everyone else, as well). They CANNOT just randomly slap a book edition ISBN onto an electronic product when it involves the significant changes required to be useful for the Accordance program and users (unless they have some unique clarification on all this deviation from standards). In essence, Accordance versions of "books" seem to meet all the definitions of a unique, specific edition and thus require a unique identifier.

I would definitely report that Correction, otherwise I'll get hungry when I read that. 

I've had a look at GNT-Byzantine Text modules.

The appendix and introductions are not included in the Accordance modules.

So, we have to guess what the critical signs and notes mean... until we learn that there is an introduction which explains the signs, but not on Accordance!

The complete Text with Introduction and Appendix can be found here https://byzantinetext.com/study/editions/robinson-pierpont/

Would be great if this information could be included in the Accordance version of the modules.

• Like 2

@Accordance Enthusiast, just wanted to note that there are a few paragraphs about the GNT-BYZ apparatus in the corresponding ReadMe that describe some of the symbols. However, I agree that it would be nice to have the complete preface from the print edition in Accordance.

• Thanks 1