How do you easily get references when copying?

tony10000

Trying to get references to appear after the citation when copying without having to use "About this Text" (two step process).  I can do this easily in Logos with just a Control-C/Control-V.

Right click and "copy as" for different options. But (in Windows) CTRL+Alt+C gets the text with the citation, and CTRL+ALT+R will copy as just a verse reference.

Edited by Mike Atnip
correct "paste" as "copy"
  • Like 1

The reference only shows up in the footnotes if you are using Word or LibreOfffice Writer.

It does not show up when copying into a text editor like Notepad.  

What I am looking for is something like this (from Logos):

Adam’s Story. The creation of Adam and the first woman, Eve, is recited in two biblical accounts. The intent of the first account (Gn 1:26–31) is to present the first pair in their relationship to God and to the rest of the created order. It teaches that with regard to God the first humans were created male and female in God’s image with his specific mandate to populate and rule over the earth. With regard to the rest of creation the first humans were, on one hand, part of it, being created on the same day as other land animals; on the other hand, they were distinctly above it, being the culmination of the creation process and sole bearers of God’s image. Clearly the proper position and dignity of Adam and Eve before God and within creation is the focus of the first Genesis account.

Stephen Taylor, “Adam (Person),” Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1988), 26.

I just get this from Accordance:

The name Adam (ʾāḏām), in addition to being a proper name, also has the connotation ‘man-kind’, a sense in which it occurs in the OT some 500 times, so that when the noun occurs with the definite article (hāʾāḏām) it is to be translated as the proper noun rather than as the name. The word ʾadm occurs also in Ugaritic in the sense ‘man-kind’. In the accounts of the *creation in Gn. 1 and 2 the article is used with ʾāḏām in all but three cases: 1:26, where ‘man’ in general is evidently intended; 2:5, where ‘man’ (or ‘no man’) is clearly the most natural sense; and 2:20, the first permissible use of the proper name according to the text. The AV has projected this use back into the preceding verse (2:19) in spite of the article there, whereas RV, RSV, observing that in this occurrence, and indeed in all those (3:17, 21) without the article up to Gn. 4:25 the name is prefixed by the preposition lᵉ-, which might be read (lā-lᵉhā-) to include the article without alteration to the consonantal text, prefer to assume that the Massoretes have wrongly pointed the text and that the proper name does not occur until Gn. 4:25. Though attempts have been made to determine the etymology of the name, there is no agreement, and the fact that the original language of mankind was not Hebrew renders such theories academic. It is clear, however, that the use of the word ʾᵃḏāmâ, ‘ground’, in juxtaposition to the name ʾāḏām in Gn. 2:7 is intentional, a conclusion reinforced by Gn. 3:19.

I have to add this manually using About This Text:

NEW BIBLE DICTIONARY

New Bible Dictionary (IVP-NB Dictionary)

Third Edition © 1996 by University and Colleges Christian Fellowship

Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc.

Version 2.5

Edited by tony10000

20 minutes ago, tony10000 said:

The reference only shows up in the footnotes if you are using Word or LibreOfffice Writer.

Have you tried unchecking the "Insert citation only as footnote" in the Bibliography section of the Accordance Preferences/Settings?

—Joseph

22 minutes ago, Solly said:

Have you tried unchecking the "Insert citation only as footnote" in the Bibliography section of the Accordance Preferences/Settings?

—Joseph

OK, I turned that off (why is it in Bibliography and not Citation?).

I changed to simple footnote and it came up with this:

The name Adam (ʾāḏām), in addition to being a proper name, also has the connotation ‘man-kind’, a sense in which it occurs in the OT some 500 times, so that when the noun occurs with the definite article (hāʾāḏām) it is to be translated as the proper noun rather than as the name. The word ʾadm occurs also in Ugaritic in the sense ‘man-kind’. In the accounts of the *creation in Gn. 1 and 2 the article is used with ʾāḏām in all but three cases: 1:26, where ‘man’ in general is evidently intended; 2:5, where ‘man’ (or ‘no man’) is clearly the most natural sense; and 2:20, the first permissible use of the proper name according to the text. The AV has projected this use back into the preceding verse (2:19) in spite of the article there, whereas RV, RSV, observing that in this occurrence, and indeed in all those (3:17, 21) without the article up to Gn. 4:25 the name is prefixed by the preposition lᵉ-, which might be read (lā-lᵉhā-) to include the article without alteration to the consonantal text, prefer to assume that the Massoretes have wrongly pointed the text and that the proper name does not occur until Gn. 4:25. Though attempts have been made to determine the etymology of the name, there is no agreement, and the fact that the original language of mankind was not Hebrew renders such theories academic. It is clear, however, that the use of the word ʾᵃḏāmâ, ‘ground’, in juxtaposition to the name ʾāḏām in Gn. 2:7 is intentional, a conclusion reinforced by Gn. 3:19.

New Bible Dictionary

I tried some of the other options and only ended up with abbreviations.  Why does Accordance make something like this so difficult?

2 hours ago, tony10000 said:

OK, I turned that off (why is it in Bibliography and not Citation?). 

I tried some of the other options and only ended up with abbreviations.  Why does Accordance make something like this so difficult?

Only the programmers know the logic of the placement of preferences/settings choices. ;)

I use the SBL Footnote format choice in the Bibliography portion of the Accordance Preferences/Settings. I am not seeing any unexpected abbreviations as I use this option. 

Keep trying different Footnote choices in the Bibliography portion of the Accordance Preferences/Settings. I tried your sample from above and obtained the following SBL Bibliography citation: "Mitchell, T.C. Wood, D. R. W., ed. New Bible Dictionary. 3d, Accordance electronic edition, version 2.5. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1996."

—Joseph

All I can get out of that formatting option is:

T.C. Mitchell, “Adam,” NBD, 13.

10 hours ago, tony10000 said:

All I can get out of that formatting option is:

T.C. Mitchell, “Adam,” NBD, 13.

It appears you chose SBL Footnote as your bibliography format. I used SBL Bibliography to get  what I had above.  When I use SBL Footnote I get the abbreviated form you got.

Take time to experiment with ALL of the options with the Bibliography setting of the Accordance Preferences—you may find something you really like above the other choices.

Best wishes,

—Joseph

1 hour ago, Solly said:

It appears you chose SBL Footnote as your bibliography format. I used SBL Bibliography to get  what I had above.  When I use SBL Footnote I get the abbreviated form you got.

Take time to experiment with ALL of the options with the Bibliography setting of the Accordance Preferences—you may find something you really like above the other choices.

Best wishes,

—Joseph

I checked other resources and SBL footnote gives me a full reference.  So, the problem appears to be solved!

Thanks all for your help with this!