Textual variance database?

Larry Wing

I lately have become interested in NT textual criticism to a minor degree. I'd like to see if there is anything in Accordance where I could select verse or word in a Greek text and see a list of all variances and their manuscripts. I assume some of those variants could be different based on my Greek text at the moment.

One thing I'm particularly interested in is when I see "some older mss do not contain..." or :some new mss add..." in my printed Bible and would like to explore for more detail.

I have very little Greek background and this is more a hobby than anything else probably so something basic as a starter would be great.

If you have the NA28 or UBS5 with Sigla, you can use Omanson's Text Guide or Metzger's Textual Commentary or Comfort text commentary.

• Like 2

To complement NA 28, a good option is the CNTSS apparatus, though I must say it contains some mistakes.

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/cntts-nt-critical-apparatus-3/

What's nice about this one is you don't need to learn to read the sigla. Every entry begins with the base text so you know which word is being discussed:

image.thumb.png.4ac25ddb23f0470d9383a651523ef211.png

Edited by Accordance Enthusiast
  • Like 1

Comfort's Commentary and Metzger's are the two that's going to get your feet wet with Textual Variants. Start with those.

I'd then look at UBS or NA Apparatus, and if you want the mother of all apparatus modules, go for the CNTTS.

Thank you all for your help  I've ordered the Metzger and Comfort commentaries.  I'll see how it goes as far as ordering the  CNTTS.

3 hours ago, Larry Wing said:

Thank you all for your help  I've ordered the Metzger and Comfort commentaries.  I'll see how it goes as far as ordering the  CNTTS.

I think you've made a good choice with your selection as Nathan suggested. You should be able to understand their opinions even with just a little bit of Greek background (but, you will not be able to evaluate what they say). But any more than that, I would suggest saving your money so it can be used towards learning Koine Greek if you would like to go further. Even with the NA28/UBS5, you won't know how to evaluate the witnesses and the case would still be same with the CNTTS. And as was mentioned above, the CNTTS contains mistakes and you would need to look at the actual manuscripts themselves (and the Greek script can change drastically depending on the century, especially when dealing with minuscules). Basically, the resources you've purchased can be used as a "starter" as you requested. Any more than that would prove of little value in helping you actually engage with NT textual criticism without a working knowledge of Greek. All that said, I think your interest is commendable! See how far God will lead you in your studies!

• Like 1

Thank you @darrylmy. At my age, learning to evaluate what's said is mostly out of the question. I rely on and trust most translations as printed.  I am looking forward to learning more.

• Like 1

I agree with @darrylmy. Right now you have what you need to get your feet wet. You'll want some Greek training before going with CNTTS.

You could take the free course on Daily Dose of Greek to get a feel for learning Greek before you signup for a full seminary course on it. It's a good way to get some pre-learning done before diving in.

5 hours ago, Larry Wing said:

I rely on and trust most translations as printed

You definitely can. Comfort will be of the most help for you here (in comparison to Metzger) as he lists the translations that agree with each variant if applicable. One other resource that just came to mind is the second edition of the NET Bible notes. It splits the comments into three different types of notes: translator's note (tn) study note (sn), and text-critical note (tc). I think you would find a lot of benefit from this resource. HTH!

NET notes are awesome. I second that recommendation.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:39 PM, Ken Simpson said:

NET notes are awesome. I second that recommendation.

+1

As do I 😊👍