Accordance and Prayer

Dr. Nathan Parker

I have a few questions concerning Accordance and Prayer I'd like to hear from Accordance users:

• How has using Accordance improved your prayer life?
  • Are there any modules in Accordance you've read that have improved your prayer life?
  • Are there any features in Accordance you'd like to see in the future (Prayer List, etc) that would improve your prayer life?

I'm going to make a personal confession here. I could improve my prayer life. I've spent such a major amount of time in academic research that, while that is important, I need to now spend some time improving my prayer life and deepening my personal relationship with the Lord. One goal in 2024 is looking for ways in which I could do deeper in my prayer life.

• Like 1

This may sound counterintuitive, but I've found that it helps me to compose my own prayers, ones that represent the desires, confessions and thanksgivings of my own heart towards God, reflect a sound, biblical, God-honoring point of view, and represent the people, past and present, that He has brought into my life. I log them and repeat them from the heart, a particular set of them each day.

I sat down and made a long list of all the people I wanted to remember in prayer. I include family, extended family, fellow-Christians and friends, occasional prayers for temporary matters, missionaries, government leaders, etc., as well as the weekly prayer list from our church. 

The benefit of this was that I was no longer searching for what to say in prayer. I was confessing to God what I truly believe, the truths He has taught me from his word. Thought this may not be for everybody, I found that prayer was not a "time," it was a daily offering to God of thanksgiving, prayers, remembrances, and petitions. The things that I said were settled convictions of my heart, time-tested. 

It became long enough that I ended up making an Excel spreadsheet purely as a practical aid. I used rotations where needed that each day automatically selected particular people in various categories. Because it wasn't somebody else's tool, I had complete freedom to do things the way that made sense to me.

Again, not for everybody, but since I began this I have rarely started a day without first praying. 

Edited to add for illustration a copy of the opening prayer I bring to our Father in heaven this morning.

Opening Prayer.png

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 1

I like this idea. I'll start looking for ways to track a prayer list better. I guess until we have something official in Accordance, a User Tool might be a good option.

I use my to do app, Todoist, for my prayer lists. I have a personal one and one for my church.

Added an illustrative example to my post above in case anyone might find it helpful.

16 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I have a few questions concerning Accordance and Prayer I'd like to hear from Accordance users:

• Regarding my 'prayer life', I usually use the book of Psalms (or a volume very similar to a Psalter) and a traditional prayer book. 

• I use Accordance's mobile IOS app to read/pray through the Psalms when I am on the go.

• Rather than features I would like to see more official prayer books and a complete Siddur module in Accordance.

I pray quite often that I don’t lose my notes. So I suppose it’s increased my prayers….

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

I use my to do app, Todoist, for my prayer lists. I have a personal one and one for my church.

I do exactly the same thing. Not only is this convenient for my prayer time, but I can look and pray through my list again when I have moment throughout the day.

• Like 1

I find that when im reading nivac, I will be prompted to pray for 'things' that are outside my normal radar.

• Like 1

@JohnABarnett Great illustrative example.

@Brian K. Mitchell I would like to see more of those as well. I picked up a print copy of Metrical Psalms from Trinitarian Bible Society. That might be a Bible project I could work on sometime.

@A. Smith :-)