Request ability to edit public domain texts with Accordance

Enoch

I request the ability to edit public domain texts with Accordance using it as a word processor for such texts.  I have been editing the Westcott & Hort Greek NT, putting it into parallel structure, as the Bible is so full of parallelisms, using tabulate to line up parallel words, which enhances reading & understanding the texts.  (Also I have thrown away all the confounding smooth breathings, which serve only to obscure where there is a rough breathing. -- of course the original text has no smooth breathings).  & I have (heresy!) put the punctuation into modern punctuation, using ; for ; & not for ?; & using ? for questions.  But I find it a great inconvenience when I want to check a word not to have Instant Details in the Word Processor I am using for this task.  It would be a great convenience & save me a lot of time, if I could do this editing in Accordance itself.

I will tried to post a sample here, not knowing if it would come out right -- this from 1 Corinthians 11:

And of course, it did not come out right: The tab button apparently won't tabulate here with the forum word processor. So I cut it to a little part that seemed to come out nearly somewhat correct, but I had to play with it: (I don't know what you will see.)

ἡ         γυνὴ  δὲ                                                                                  

12               ὥσπερ γὰρ   ἡ         γυνὴ    εκ   τοῦ ανδρός,

οὕτως καὶ    ὁ         ανήρ    διὰ  τῆς  γυναικός;

τὰ δὲ  πάντα   εκ   τοῦ θεοῦ.

Edited by Enoch

You can edit User Tools and User Bibles, but officially-produced modules (even public domain ones) use a totally different editing system than do User-created content.

If you took a peek at it, you wouldn't want to edit officially-produced content. 🙂 It is complex. It's amazing what our module developers do.

LOL, I think what you would mean is that Accordance would not like to go to the effort to make module texts (public domain) editable on Accordance. Perhaps getting Instant Details to still work with edited text would cost Accordance developers more time than they wish to put in on it. I still want to be able to do it, as of course, it would save me time -- & the Accordance developers times does not use my time! But of course I think I am willing to pay for the service assuming it is not excessive.

Edited by Enoch

One issue is that professional modules aren't edited inside Accordance (like User Tools are). We use development tools then tools that package everything up in Accordance's format. I've taken a peek behind the scenes at what we do, and it'll make your head spin at the complexity of it. It makes me appreciate Accordance modules even more. 🙂

@Enoch,

I agree it is an issue not wanting to put the time into this, as opposed to it being too difficult. However, I think we would probably both agree that it is better for them to spend their time fixing the corruption issues over working on public domain texts. That said, though it is not exactly what you are looking to do, I think your best bet would be to find a public domain copy and then import that text as a user tool which you can edit. User tools would be searchable by verse number etc, which is really helpful, but it obviously wouldn't exactly be like a normal Bible, but Bibles can't be edited, regardless if they are a user Bible or not.

Kristin

I appreciate this problem. I have assumed that is what keeps the features down for User Bibles as well. (I would personally appreciate the ability to add tags to my User Bibles, but I admit that I do not know how much tagging that would require in the .txt file.

Probably the tagging would need to be done in the TXT if we were to consider adding the feature. It'd make for a nice Feature Request.

On 1/29/2024 at 3:24 PM, Kristin said:

@Enoch,

I agree it is an issue not wanting to put the time into this, as opposed to it being too difficult. However, I think we would probably both agree that it is better for them to spend their time fixing the corruption issues over working on public domain texts. That said, though it is not exactly what you are looking to do, I think your best bet would be to find a public domain copy and then import that text as a user tool which you can edit. User tools would be searchable by verse number etc, which is really helpful, but it obviously wouldn't exactly be like a normal Bible, but Bibles can't be edited, regardless if they are a user Bible or not.

Kristin

I really don't understand the process you describe.  But I did get a copy of Westcott & Hort NT; I did download it & enter it into Word 2021. And then I am quite easily able to edit the text in Word.  I stripped out all the smooth breathing estorbos.  It is pretty good except that with one word, the iota subscripts are off center with the diacritical marks ( ᾧ)

which -- BTW, came out right on this forum word processor. And I have spent many hours Bible editing with Word -- I should say "right' except for some reason I have what looks like Times New Roman in large green font here!

Edited by Enoch

Hi @Enoch,

I'm sorry that I can't be much help, but I'm really not familiar with Word, as it has been a really long time since I have used it at all. So I am not sure about the font color or iota problems. 

If the process you meant was uploading, on Accordance click File--> User Files --> Import User Tool (I think, I would try that). That should walk you through the steps to import a PDF (or Word doc, I assume).

Hopefully someone else has an idea about the format issues. 

Kristin