renewal of all things = 4

Dr. Nathan Parker

I got an email asking about this. Does anyone have an answer to this?

When I search for * (words) in the NIV and then look at the Analytics >> Analysis, I get entries with spaces such as renewal of all things = 4

I need a unique word list for the KJV and NIV. Is there a way to do this without getting these phrases?

• Like 1

I tried running the search on the NIV, but Accordance became unresponsive.

• Like 1

Hi @Dr. Nathan Parker,

I ran it and got the beach ball. I was really worried that Accordance would crash because I had some important windows open, but thankfully it didn't. Anyway, it finally opened and the analytics look normal to me. I went down to see if "renewal of all things" was there, but I just have words.

I think I would recommend for them to just completely shut down Accordance. If they are on a Mac, open it holding shift, then once open close it and repeat a few times before opening it normally, and see how it responds then.

Kristin

Bildschirmfoto2024-01-22um00_07_08.thumb.png.b0a9fc84cc829d8cdff7e2ac9e5e706f.png

• Like 1

I think to do this you would need to use an unkeyed text. As far as I know that was only available with niv84 (for Niv) i can’t see it In my library. There is an unkeyed ESV text and an unkeyed KJV. Just make sure they are the ones that don’t have S on the end. 

7 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Dr. Nathan Parker,

I ran it and got the beach ball. I was really worried that Accordance would crash because I had some important windows open, but thankfully it didn't. Anyway, it finally opened and the analytics look normal to me. I went down to see if "renewal of all things" was there, but I just have words.

I think I would recommend for them to just completely shut down Accordance. If they are on a Mac, open it holding shift, then once open close it and repeat a few times before opening it normally, and see how it responds then.

Kristin

Bildschirmfoto2024-01-22um00_07_08.thumb.png.b0a9fc84cc829d8cdff7e2ac9e5e706f.png

@Dr. Nathan Parker

I got a similar result on Windows 11, Accordance 14.0.8, but hit a snag partway through. I did the search (just the asterisk) on NIV, clicked on "show default analytics", then on "concordance". The first took a long time and the second took even longer, but at least there was a progress bar to show how far it got up to. Then I selected "analysis", and no progress bar came up, but the whole PC bogged down.

On my resource-constrained PC (<2GB storage remaining), Accordance hogged almost all the remaining storage (<200MB remaining), then hung, also hanging my chrome browser in the process.

After firing up the resource monitor with ctrl-alt-del and force-quitting Accordance while all the other apps remained open, I got back more than 1GB storage. Running Accordance again, it showed nothing for a bit (this is normal on this PC), then displayed a progress bar that was missing its front portion, and eventually finished its launch and displayed the analysis window. There was no "renewal of all things" phrase - just single words like "renewal", similar to what Kristin copied above.

The above was by no means rigorous, but if you can reproduce this behaviour (with the key constraint being to start Accordance with less than 2GB disk space), it would be good if the programmers could look into the following:

1. Adding a progress bar to the "Analysis" feature.

2. Implement an orderly process when encountering insufficient disk space.

I'm glad Kristin didn't have to force-quit Accordance in the middle of a work session.

I ran it with the KJV and NIV84 and it worked fine. The KJV took longer I suspect because of the tagging. 

I am assuming that the results from the NIV2011 are caused because of the phrase tagging i.e. places where multiple English words are connected to a single Hebrew word. 

2 minutes ago, miketisdell said:

I ran it with the KJV and NIV84 and it worked fine. The KJV took longer I suspect because of the tagging. 

I am assuming that the results from the NIV2011 are caused because of the phrase tagging i.e. places where multiple English words are connected to a single Hebrew word. 

I checked your example of "renewal of all things" and it was exactly as I had suspected i.e. the whole phrase is equated with a single Greek word. Most of the other tagged versions do not have phrase tagging so this should not be an issue when comparing other versions. 

image.png

• Like 1

The ESV worked mostly as expected, but does have a bug. Note the "000" entry. 

image.thumb.png.2560827a940323602e83b423b42c8981.png

Yes. The key is to use an un keyed text – no pun intended. So I went to my NIV 2011 that was not tagged, and it worked.

• Like 1

Glad it worked! We'll look into the unresponsive issue.

I think it's just slow with the amount of data to churn through. It's an issue to do with the efficiency of the search engine is my guess. But while it takes a while, mine always finished.... The Analysis being the problem

• Like 1

I'll reboot my Mac and try it again. I'll also try it on my iMac Pro. I might have had too much stuff going at once. :-)

Working for me now on my M2 MacBook Air. Will also test on my Intel iMac Pro tomorrow.