Interpreting GNT syntax symbols

A. Smith

Two questions. First, how exactly am I to interpret the under-arches, such as the one that connects ὰς and βεβήλους in 2 Tim 2.16. It seems to me like an effort to connect discontinuous constituents. Second, what do the dots symbolize, those at the mother nodes of 2.16 and part of 2.17? They only appear periodically, and I've not yet found a pattern to decipher what they indicate. 

Finally, I want to say again that we need a GNT syntax chart guide. Not a search guide, but a guide to understanding and using the syntax chart itself. A description of the theory and rational for some choices would be great as well. Robert Holmstedt has done this for the Hebrew charts and the lack of such for the GNT charts seriously weakens their usefulness. These charts are an interpretive commentary on the text after all. 

ETA another example of the dots, this time on only part of the subject tree of verse 17.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 10.57.35.png

another example of the dots

image.thumb.png.09ad433205948eb6039fb61472bbd9ab.png

Edited by A. Smith
  • Like 3

Why are there three conjunctions and three finite verbs within one clause??? If we're going to differentiate between levels of clauses, how are each of these finite verb clauses not labeled as clauses and yet a complex of three legitimately independent clauses are combined under one strangely defined independent clause??? What is the value/justification for the use definition of N nodes as independent clauses (sentence) further defined on semantic rather than syntactic grounds? Sentence is ill-defined in linguistically, with little agreement across the field. And clause (independent or otherwise) is a syntactic, not semantic, label. 

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 11.17.35.png

Edited by A. Smith
  • Like 1

What happens if you rest your cursor on a symbol with Instant Details open? Does it give you anything?

6 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

What happens if you rest your cursor on a symbol with Instant Details open? Does it give you anything?

just the same node description you get from hovering over any of the node identifiers. Nothing specific to the dots or whatever they are.  

• Like 1

Good to know. Thanks for that. I need to see who developed this and how we could get some documentation on this.