What is Your Favorite Study Bible?

Dr. Nathan Parker

I'm curious what is your favorite study Bible? It can be one already available in Accordance or even one in print yet that we don't offer yet.

For me, I'd probably have to say the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. I keep coming back to it time and time again for in-depth Bible study (we are working on bringing it back to the Accordance Store).

The Thompson chain is easily my favorite and has been for over 30 years. Back then it was published by B.B. Kirkbride. Great resource!

MacArthur is good too. Really love that one. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lately I have found a nice contrast between the Ryrie Study Bible and the Pentecostal Fire Global Edition Study Bible. 

Both go a bit differently in interpretation, but both go deep in the text.  It makes a nice contrast.   

If I want commentary from a reformed protestant perspective, I'm more likely to turn to a larger commentary than a study bible, so the study bible I use the most is actually the Jewish Study Bible. The larger commentary series like the JPS are excellent but are limited to certain books, so the JSB fills in that gap nicely.

• Like 4

I was just going to say the same the JPS JSB is a marvellous companion

• Like 3

I have been using the CSB Study Bible, the ESV Study Bible, the Orthodox Study Bible, and the Apologetics Study Bible (all in Accordance)

Definitely MacArthur Study Bible. I always appreciate MacArthur's input on biblical subjects. The ASB (Apologetics Study Bible) is also a good one.

3 hours ago, Johannian said:

Definitely MacArthur Study Bible. I always appreciate MacArthur's input on biblical subjects

That's another gem of a study Bible.

The ESV Study Bible – hands down! I own 21 Study Bibles in Accordance, and The ESV Study is my "default" commentary in nearly every workspace I create.

• Like 1

ESV and JSB are the two I use as my 'go to' but I also tend to use the JANT.
I also use the NOAB, particularly for the Apocrypha so would really appreciate Accordance getting the JAA to complete the set.

These days I tend not to use the other 7 I have in accordance or couple I have as dead tree unless there is something specific I am looking for as the above are a great initial look up.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Jewish Study Bible or Orthodox Study Bible. I appreciate the variety of perspectives. The Catholic Study Bible is also cool because it contains commentary on the deuterocanonical books. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

(1) Dr J H Hertz, Pentateuch and Haftorahs (It calls it's self a commentary, but it set up more like a study Bible)

(2) The Soncino Books of the Bible series' The Soncino Chumash with Introductions & commentary, Editor Rev Dr A Cohen

(2) Jewish Study Bible

(3) The NET Bible with Notes

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell

• 1 month later...

I'm another MacArthur Study Bible person.

I wish Dr. White had the time to make one!