How do I search for specific words (inflected, not lexemes) in Greek with quotes?

Enoch

The search function seems to work for inflected forms if I have quote marks around the form. However, I don't know how I can type a quote mark in the search window when searching a Greek text. Am I condemned to have to type the quote first in the verses box then switch to words box? Or is there some trick to getting " " in the words box of search?

I am able to search for the inflected form, “ποιμένα”, for example (see first image). The results came up for each exact match of ποιμένα. I just typed quotes around the word ποιμένα. Same thing with ποιμην, the lexical form of ποιμένα (see second image). I just searched for it without quotes. Or perhaps I am misinterpreting your question?

Screenshot 2024-01-15 223254.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 223413.png

If you are perhaps speaking of searching for every exact instance of the lexical form of an entry (in this case, "ποιμην"), without wanting all the inflected forms to show up, then just simply type "ποιμην" (or whatever the lexical form is of the entry you have in mind) in quotes:

Screenshot 2024-01-15 223818.png

Edited by Johannian
Added more information.

Also, make sure you select "Words:", not "Verses:".

Screenshot 2024-01-15 224337.png

Edited by Johannian

Are you perhaps switching to a Greek keyboard thinking you need to type in Greek? Accordance is smart enough to know that if you are searching a Greek text, that it will type in Greek without switching keyboards.

You do not have to even switch from Verses to Words. Just start w/ the quote mark, then start typing the word, choose/click on from the list of words, and Accordance will even add the closing quote mark.

Also remember that you can get an inflected search by right clicking on a word in a text and choosing Search For > Inflected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I could wonder if I live in the same universe as other Accordance users.  I broughtng up the UBS4 text. I went to the search window & choose Words instead of Verses.  Then I found no way there to enter a quote mark. If I typed the quote mark (which involves using shift with the keyboard key immediately to the left of "Enter," I then got a grave accent & not any quote mark, & I got the same grave accent if I don't use the shift key).  But I have been using the ABC extended Mac keyboard set, which allows adding accents in general internet use.  Then I had a brainstorm, & I found that if I use U.S. international - PC, I do then get the quote marks.  So I have learned now not to use ABC extended keyboard with Accordance!

On 1/27/2024 at 7:58 PM, Enoch said:

Sometimes I could wonder if I live in the same universe as other Accordance users.  I broughtng up the UBS4 text. I went to the search window & choose Words instead of Verses.  Then I found no way there to enter a quote mark. If I typed the quote mark (which involves using shift with the keyboard key immediately to the left of "Enter," I then got a grave accent & not any quote mark, & I got the same grave accent if I don't use the shift key).  But I have been using the ABC extended Mac keyboard set, which allows adding accents in general internet use.  Then I had a brainstorm, & I found that if I use U.S. international - PC, I do then get the quote marks.  So I have learned now not to use ABC extended keyboard with Accordance!

Yes, I have the same problem with my French keyboard. Typing in quotes doesn't work. I have to go into right-click and enter "symbol", then select the quotes (Twice! Before and after! It's a pain!). For some reason, the search pane doesn't like foreign keyboards. I occasionally have the same problem elsewhere, where I have to switch to an American keyboard for numbers or other things to be recognized.

I'm looking into this to see if there's a potential feature request I could recommend.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I'm looking into this to see if there's a potential feature request I could recommend.

Finding a way to make this feature work with non-America keyboards would be a huge plus! Thanks.

• Like 1